You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:29 pm 

An acquaintance of mine had a letter to the editor published today in the "San Diego Union - Tribune" newspaper. She was commenting on an earlier article that had the comment that for most people who claim to have allergies, it's all in their heads.

It's at the following link, but you will have to scroll down. I think it's the 7th letter (it's the only one dealing with food allergies).

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060112/news_1c12curlets.html

By the way, I just found the blurb she was referring to at

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051227/news_lz1c27health.html:

December 27, 2005

Allergic to a common food? Maybe. Maybe not. Although 97 million Americans think they have a food allergy, only 12 million really do, Prevention magazine reported. What are the most common allergy-causing foods? Shellfish, nuts and fish, according to the magazine.
-----------------------
Not the most useful piece of journalism I've ever read...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:04 am 

That's a great letter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

As someone who's spent a career in journalism, I bristle when I see statistics abused, and they certainly are in that report.

"Only" 12 million people have potentially life-threatening food allergies? Gee, 12 million is more than the entire populaton of any of:
- Greece
- Portugal
- Czech Republic

Or - another way to say it, 12 million is more than the populations of Israel and Ireland combined. If all of Israel and Ireland were at risk, I think that might be newsworthy.

:roll: /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:39 pm 

I do not understand why ana. is treated so differently then other health issues. We had the SARS epidemic, and now the bird flu epidemic. In BC, one duck on a farm had a cold, and I don't know if they culled all the bird farms in the Frazer Valley, but they certainly were prepared to, and it was all over the news for a week.

Yet, the amount of ana. is doubling every 5 years and there is very reaction from Health Canada, and a lot of the information the media presents is wrong or misleading.

I listened to a radio show where they were talking about making schools safe for milk allergic kids in Edmonton, and the host and callers thought it was "crazy", and they could understand it if was peanuts, but no one is allergic to milk, etc, etc, etc. By the time I could get to a phone, the host had moved on to another topic and I could not speak about it. when I got home I e-mailed and asked for another show to present the facts, no response from host. I phoned her boss to complain and he said it was unfortunate that the host had got the facts wrong, but that it was an opinion radio show, so people were just giving their opinions. :evil: