Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What's this all about?:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:47 am 

OK, I'm so confused!
I thought that Nestle's Kit-Kat, Aero, Smarties, and Coffee Crisp were produced in a nut free facility.
I heard that Kit Kat Chunky was a "safe" as it is also produced in a nut free facility.
According to nestle's site, they have their snack size chocs that are mentioned above that are free of "traces of nuts".....
Snack size meaning those little choc's that you get in a bag, or snack size meaning what you see at the cash register?
I just came across this article, and I am thoroughly confused, and frustrated!
Read on...
Nestle sheds nut-free candies
Last Updated Mon, 14 May 2001 14:28:38
TORONTO - Nestle Canada has issued an alert to consumers with peanut or nut allergies: Smarties, Aero, Kit Kat, Coffee Crisp and Mirage will no longer be guaranteed nut-free starting January of 2002.

'Segregating a peanut/nut-free section of the Canadian factory was considered, but was not possible'
"To ensure our consumers with peanut/nut allergies are sensitized, we're making every effort to inform them eight months in advance of the change," said Kathryn Rowan, corporate vice-president of Nestle Canada in a news release.

The company says growing demand for chocolate products with nuts forced Nestle to forgo its nut-free manufacturing environment.

"Segregating a peanut/nut-free section of the Canadian factory was considered, but was not possible, as it would not meet the company's standards for a peanut/nut-free ... environment," said a company statement.

Nut residue can cause fatal reactions

Nestle will start putting labels on its bars to make sure consumers know.

An estimated half a million Canadians are allergic to peanuts or nuts.

"These five products...are staple treats in homes and schools," says Dr. Jane Salter, head of the Anaphylaxis Network of Canada, an organization representing people with life- threatening allergies.

"They have been widely promoted for many years as safe treats. We are very concerned that people may continue to use these products."

The network lobbied Nestle to reverse its decision. Salter says a growing number of companies have switched from nut-free products.

"Very few chocolate bars or candies are safe for (people with nut allergies). Most contain peanuts... or have been exposed to them in the factory. Just one tiny bite of a product with nuts or nut residue can cause a fatal reaction."

An American study into deaths from food allergies found 94 per cent were due to nut allergies.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:10 am 

Hi Shairose,

That's old news. There was a time that Nestle no longer wanted to produce the nut/peanut-free regular-sized chocolate bars. There was a big letter-writing campaign to Nestle and Nestle changed their minds and kept those chocolates on dedicated nut/peanut-free lines.

Also, back then, the snack-size chocolates were not peanut/nut-free... only the regular-size ones. That has also changed since then.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Last edited by Storm on Fri May 26, 2006 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:41 pm 

Like Storm mentionned, things have changed over time, for the best. I would advise you though that Kit Kat and Kit Kat Crunchy are not the same thing and may not be produced at the same place. They mention on their site that "individually wrapped snack size Smarties, Kit Kat, Aero and Coffee Crisp bars that are produced in a peanut-free environment. For easy recognition by consumers, these products are clearly marked with a Peanut-Free symbol on the front of the pack."

If you look at the bottom of the page http://www.nestle.ca/en/Enjoy_Food/Food ... oducts.htm you will clearly see what is offered as peanut/nut free.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:32 pm 

Keep in mind that nestle uses two very different logos on their packages.

They have one, rectangular, with a heart with two kids on it that says "peanut free" if it has this symbol it is peanut free.

They have another that is a red/yellow circle that says "contains peanuts." Make sure you do not mistake it for a peanut free food.

Post subject: Old news!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:26 pm 

Phew!
I guess I have a lot of catching up to do. :shock:
I have seen the multi packs of Kit -kat, the little "snack size" bars that are so popular over Haloween with symbols on it that state "Nut Free".
Ok, Now, what about the Regular Size bars>?...
Those do not have a "warning", or picture stating Nut free
And (LOL), That brings me to my last question for now!
What about the "Family Size" Kit-Kats,Aero, etc....
They dont have "warnings", or pics either!
Sorry, sorrry, soooo sorry...but I feel like I am living in a new world!
A world with labels, and dissapointments, and nuts! ( Bad Nuts, evil nuts! :twisted: )
I do appreciate everyone taking their time to answer my questions!
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:33 pm 

I contacted Nestle just before Christmas regarding this issue - well, just the snack size and the 50g bar size (sorry, I didn't check the "Family" size). Anyway, both the snack size and 50g size bars (regular Smarties, regular Kit Kat, Aero, Coffee Crisp and Mirage) are all okay for the peanut allergic. I mentioned that in a recent Nestle flyer, and in a couple of other places I've seen, only the snack size bars are indicated as being peanut-free, but not the regular 50 g size. So, it is confusing for those needing to avoid peanut. I was assured that the 50g bars are fine, and it sounds like the packaging/labelling will be changed in future to indicate this. Just be careful you're buying the safe bars, and if you're ever not sure, contact Nestle directly (or any company for that matter).

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:53 am 

Thank you Julie for clarifying...
I hope that in the future better labels are placed on these products...
I came across KitKat Chunky with Carmel, and it is clearly marked with "May contain ..." label!
Yes, think I will call Nestle and clarify re Family Size choc's!
Will keep you posted,
Thanks
Shairose