You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:09 pm 

I have to say that the use of a peanut-sniffing dog is overkill. It does sound a little like there have been some rather extreme requests made in this school. The actions of the protesters are not in any way justified, but I'm a skeptic, so I always have to question the "face-value" of what I see reported. I hope that FAAN or another group can help out and sit both sides down for some education, as no family should be made to feel this way! This child and his family need to know that it is possible for a child with an allergy to thrive at school without the need for precautions over and above that recommended by top allergy organizations! And the other parents need to learn that it IS possible to survive 5 meals a week without peanut butter! :? Is that really a "right" worth fighting over like this?

I have to admit - I feared people like this when I made the decision back in ds's kindergarten that I would never ask for a ban on my son's allergens. I was more scared that he would become the target of crazy parents, and bullied by their kids. Al and AC really helped me make that decision by educating me that it was possible to keep him safe without the need for a ban. Education is key!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 pm 

If the dog is trained to find the peanuts I think it is a good idea. I saw a news video about such a dog in California.

I support the peanut-butter ban since it gets all over things and I don't think that at age 6 or 8 a child should have to protect themselves from peanut butter - know how to avoid it, absolutely but they should not have to monitor what other kids are eating. And we all know that there are not enough staff in classrooms to monitor it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:52 pm 

walooet wrote:
If the dog is trained to find the peanuts I think it is a good idea. I saw a news video about such a dog in California.

Actually, the Anaphylaxis Canada conference was the first I'd heard of this... and they were completely against it. I've since seen many media reports about them. Laurie Harada gave a thoughtful presentation about how the child that is forced to rely on such a dog may never feel safe simply walking into a grocery store. Or a gas station. Or anywhere that peanut products are sold. She also pointed out that it could create a false sense of security, just like bans do - the dogs are not perfect (I help raise guide dogs, I know a few things about this). Plus, many food-allergic children are allergic to dogs! What about the kids in school who are allergic to dogs? She said that we'd come so far with education, and regulations in some provinces (ie Sabrina's Law) that measures such as a dog would only serve to alienate allergic children, and set us back.

I'm all for dogs used as guide dogs or autism support, but they play a much more valuable role in those cases and are needed for basic everyday functioning. The money needed to raise and train a peanut-sniffing dog might better be spent on education ($25-50K, depending on the program).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:29 pm 

I don't know the details about the student in Florida but I interpreted it as a one-time visit by the animal.

I appreciate your input on this as I know very little about it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:24 pm 

I am going to be in the minority, but I think having the whole class rinse their mouths our 3x/day is a lot to ask. I don't know what the solution is.

Picketing for the right to endanger a child is simply disgusting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm 

I don't get the mouth rinsing especially if kids are not to bring peanuts into the classroom. In the morning it could be applicable as I have seen a student walk into a 'peanut free' classroom with peanut butter residue on their face which would inevitably get on their hand and so on. But mouth rinsing would not address that regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:52 pm 

I wish that to begin with, it would be easier to educate people about this whole thing. I guess that is why I push the annual in-service here in Alberta (not just the e-module). I wish every family who lives with this would at least be invited to the school that their child goes to with someone from the health end and be allowed to speak to the staff if they want. There are so many variables and I know that we did everything we could as a family to keep our dd safe. Ours being a "not peanut" did make things different in how we handled things...I'm still amazed at how little people know and constantly remind myself that I too was just as ignorant about it until it affected us. I had known someone who was allergic to bee stings but no one who was allergic to food. I signed up a few men out of thousands over the 14 years I worked who packed ana kits, (giving away my age there) but passed the paperwork on to the safety guy and forgot about it.

It seemed (in our case) that every time I would talk to someone that didn't know us and explained dd's allergy, some would take it for granted that I would want to ban certain foods. Just for the record, I don't for the most part...never on dd's behalf..but wouldn't argue about it and would comply and have when asked to avoid nuts (this only being in grades 1 to 4)...but having put in a considerable amount of time at the schools know that it is near impossible to control...that is why I'm such a squeaky wheel when it comes to recognizing an allergic reaction and knowing how to respond and having the permission and support from the school boards and the unions (teachers) to respond to it if and when it happens. I wish there was more transparency in all of this, it would be interesting to know the numbers when it comes to allergies in schools.

Becky, you hit the nail on the head with these words in this case.
Quote:
Picketing for the right to endanger a child is simply disgusting.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:11 am 
Site Admin

The press don't always tell the whole truth. Sensationalism sells. I have heard enough on both sides to know that I don't have enough imformation to say what is and isn't appropriate in this case.

What I do know is that you can't inform those who won't listen. The school says they informed the parents (sent a letter) but many said they didn't get it (didn't notice/read it). Well, they're paying attention now!

I hope after all the venting has been done, the school can provide enough real information to get the school families on board and keep this child say. I worry though that the poisonous comments will make it impossible for the students with allergies to ever feel safe. I can't imagine being a student and having to walk past these protestors to go to school! :cry:

Very reminiscent of the Civil Rights Movement 1955-1968...How ironic that just this week, Reverend Dr. William J. Barber II, head of the North Carolina State Conference of the NAACP. was quoted as saying, “We will never back away from our struggle to ensure that every child has access to a high quality, constitutional, well-funded and diverse public education. We must also never retreat from our struggle for labor rights and a nation that keeps its commitment to the poor, two fundamental pillars of democracy.” http://www.triceedneywire.com/index.php ... cle&id=405

He was not talking about allergies, but he could have been!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:25 am 

I think that this is a sad case of 'meant well' gone terribly wrong. In retrospect I bet the school /parents wish that they had decided on a school meeting to discuss the need to protect all children whatever the health issue and had input and collective decision making. The parents deserve their child to go to school in a safe environment yet BOTH sides need reason. Maybe both sides did try to be reasonable and it didn't work, we can only guess. The fact is we are hearing a very distorted version and I'm not sure what to think.

We all realized that other people have a life too and ASKING/EXPLAINING/EDUCATING works far more effectively than demanding, telling and implementing over the top rules.
Deep down I believe that each of these parents out picketing is really a nice, kind, understanding person. I think they will look back on this situation and it won't be their proudest moment. It is a mob mentality and once the momentum started to roll it got out of control. I'm sure if it was their child they would be expecting a ban on pb&j also. To have all this anger escalate to such a degree is deplorable.

Something just went wrong and I can't help but think there is WAY more to this story to spark such anger and hatred - directed at a child!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Please vote.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opi ... ,post.poll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:24 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
... Deep down I believe that each of these parents out picketing is really a nice, kind, understanding person. I think they will look back on this situation and it won't be their proudest moment. It is a mob mentality and once the momentum started to roll it got out of control. ... To have all this anger escalate to such a degree is deplorable.

Something just went wrong and I can't help but think there is WAY more to this story to spark such anger and hatred ...

Your comments could be said about numerous events lately in politics. I'm not getting into a political debate here but think that 'mob mentality' really covers a lot lately.

If parents from both 'sides' watch themselves in the video I hope that they can see that they might not be having their finest moment. I've had enough of those that I wish I could take back and am very glad they were never on video!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:24 pm 

@Susan - that poll is oddly worded. Unless my sleep-deprived state is effecting me, options 2 and 4 are too similar to be separate items.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:28 pm 

In that poll, 27% want students with allergies to be segregated. I wonder how that compares to public opinion regarding special needs in general.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 pm 

Poll option #2
Quote:
. Instead of imposing on every child for the sake of a few, schools should come up with other arrangements for kids with severe allergies, like separate classrooms or online instruction.

To quote myself :
Quote:
So have people's perceptions really changed over the years or have they just been well hidden to be pc???

To quote Walooet:
Quote:
In that poll, 27% want students with allergies to be segregated. I wonder how that compares to public opinion regarding special needs in general.

I was wondering the exact same thing Walooet!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Rational heads will prevail... :swing
Quote:
Just because you know that you are the good guy, doesn't mean that anyone else does. So make sure that your words and tone demonstrate that.

http://allergickid.blogspot.com/2011/03 ... l?spref=tw

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next