You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:56 pm 

Take the time to read the link above from Susan.

Quote:
First, the bad news: there have been so many threats made against their child by parents in online comments, such as putting peanut oil on their own child's backpack, that the family has decided it is no longer safe to send their daughter to school. These protesters have successfully managed to bully a six year old out of school, because of her disability.

...... how the story has played out in the media. Exaggerations and outright lies have been presented as fact in a "controversy" about "extreme measures" that are "depriving other children of their right to an education."

As hateful as these parents are, they have presented themselves with enough media savvy to make it a story about wanting "compromise" about the accommodations, rather than about a pack of bullies endangering a child's life.

If I read the article correctly the dog/mouth washing/ hand washing is not as it would seem.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

I wondered if the dog was to find proteins that had been hidden by... others... :banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:36 pm 

:banghead "Children with severe peanut allergies have very minor risk for reactions," Dr. Matthew Seibel tells WFTV. is a quote from: http://www.parentdish.com/2011/03/11/peanut-allergies/

Was that doctor misquoted in that he actually said it in reference to others bringing "may contain traces" or is he completely clueless?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:44 pm 

Will this thread win for most :banghead s?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:51 pm 

Misquoted, or perhaps said minor BY MISTAKE. Gah.

Here's another: :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 pm 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/15/am ... ulations/#

Quote:
Experts say the school may have gone too far and that there are easier ways to protect the child.

“I have never seen anything like this,” said allergist Dr. Scott Fischer with the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network or FAAN, an organization that monitors food national food allergy issues. “There are many guidelines on how to manage food allergies in schools… things like no food sharing. There are plenty of relatively simple things the school could put in place that aren’t burdensome,” said Fischer.

The comments are pouring in on this one....maybe this should be on Dr. Phil?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:40 am 

alberta advocate wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/15/amid-protest-florida-school-stands-tough-new-peanut-allergy-regulations/#

From that link: the father of girl with life threatening food allergy, says that if his daughter even smells peanuts, her reaction could be fatal.
This comment really surprises me. I know of a student who had a reaction from 'smelling' peanuts but it did not require hospitalization. How would one of even know if "smelling peanuts could be fatal"?

alberta advocate wrote:

That is actually an interesting idea although since I do not watch his show I have no idea how he would handle it. I would hate for a 'celebrity' to endorse the protestors. There are a few celebrities that I have heard of who have children with allergies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:50 am 

May I say that I am very glad that I live in Canada. I have been reading comments on that article and they are 99.9% against accommodations for a student with allergies. The "rights" issue is messed up to me when someone compares an anaphylactic allergy to: Where is the other students rights who would like to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich??? :banghead

I am in support of a ban in early years schools for severe anaphylactic allergies. I know that it is difficult to distinguish between severe and not but I have seen it for peanut, tree nut, egg and dairy. They are little kids! If they are not old enough to stay home or walk home on their own they should not have to monitor what others are eating around them. Once my daughter was older, she was mature enough to be responsible for her allergies. When she was younger, she was not.

Especially not when there are comments like this:
If they are so concern about this peanut allergy, they should bubble wrap this kid and let other kids eat peanut butter and jelly sandwich at lunchtime.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 am 

alberta advocate wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/15/amid-protest-florida-school-stands-tough-new-peanut-allergy-regulations/#

Quote:
Experts say the school may have gone too far and that there are easier ways to protect the child.

“I have never seen anything like this,” said allergist Dr. Scott Fischer with the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network or FAAN, an organization that monitors food national food allergy issues. “There are many guidelines on how to manage food allergies in schools… things like no food sharing. There are plenty of relatively simple things the school could put in place that aren’t burdensome,” said Fischer.

Last nite when I posted this it had just over 300 comments, now this morning over 1000.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 am 

I stopped reading the comments when just a few in it said something to the extent that what is the big deal with putting one child's life on the line if it inconveniences 30!!

If I read any further I think I'd be sick.

I agree with you Walooet about Dr. Phil type shows and this situation. If they din't really understand the issue they could do more harm than good. Then it just becomes one more uneducated opinion being put out there (and now an opinion from a person who hundreds of thousands take at face value as being accurate)

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:00 pm 

Here we sit, on a fence, between a rock and a hard place because of unawareness and ignorance. I read a few last nite (not many as it didn't take many to tic me off, but got the main drift) and the # was going up really fast. I wasn't really surprised to see where it was this a.m.

How much noise to make to keep our kids safe. This is such a hard question. I hear you when you talk about uneducated opinions out there. Way too many and we certainly don't need the wrong one on Dr. Phil....but the reason I say him and not Dr. Oz is that this seems to be such an emotional issue. The whole food thing....and then throw this in.....I'm still mad at Dr. Phil for having that show called "Foods that Kill" and it not being about anaphylaxis.....I was so excited to watch and so disappointed when it wasn't about anything at all to do with allergies. Who has time for t.v. anymore anyway?.....or beer (re labelling issue). How come the food network has not got a show about living with allergies? Gwen? Wanna get into another area of communications?

I wonder how things at this particular school have been handled before or if this is their 1st crack at this particular can? I wonder what their policy is to start with (and previous if it has just been changed lately) and how much this has been discussed in previous years by people in the school community?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:11 pm 

My head almost hurts from shaking it so much while reading the comments :cry:

In contrast, a Globe and Mail article about the labeling law and the beer lobby had fabulous comments - not all about allergies but in support of the labelling laws. A much more respectful group of commenters. :)

I wish that the girl at Edgewater School could go to my kids' school where they do accommodate food allergies at the K-8 level. There have been a few people who don't support it but they definitely don't protest it. Even at high school they help but there are no food bans.

Before my child had anaphylactic allergies we had no problem supporting a ban because it made it easier for other children who had to deal with so much more than us simply not eating PB at school!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 pm 

walooet wrote:
My head almost hurts from shaking it so much while reading the comments :cry:

Stop reading the comments, walooet. That does no good. :huggy We have to think of positive things to put out there. May is coming.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:37 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
I wonder how things at this particular school have been handled before or if this is their 1st crack at this particular can? I wonder what their policy is to start with (and previous if it has just been changed lately) and how much this has been discussed in previous years by people in the school community?

Had to poke around...this is all I could find http://blackboard.volusia.k12.fl.us/web ... %253Dreset ADMINISTRATION OF EMERGENCY INJECTABLE PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION policy 212

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 pm 

I haven't been following this for a few days, but I do remember reading through the comments on one of the earlier articles. There was a comment from the aunt of a child at the school in an older grade (grade 3 or 5, I think?) He has a peanut allergy. She was defending this child's right to be protected, but did say that her nephew's allergy had been handled properly over the years, and despite what the school is saying regarding the Chlorox wipes, she did say that they were, in fact, being used on kids' hands (but not their faces, as was reported), which is not something that had ever been done for her nephew.

Who knows the whole truth? I still say that both sides need to be better educated, because if allergists are coming out saying that these measures are too extreme, maybe they are? After all, millions are managing OK without mouth rinses and sniffer dogs. And I haven't met an allergist who would agree with the statement that "just the smell could kill her". For anaphylaxis to occur, the protein needs to be ingested. I have been taught to never use such an extreme statement, as it creates doubt in the minds of others, and they may just dismiss it as an exagerration. My heart goes out to the family, and I would be interested in seeing how Dr. Phil might handle it. The parents definitely took it too far. If their concerns weren't being addressed, they themselves could have contacted FAAN to see if their could recommend a compromise. Picketing and protesting one child is insane. (Has anyone seen a picture of the flyer that was handed out? Unbelievable!!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next