You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 pm 

These parents protesting may be a blessing for many families with allergies since we have come up with a lot of ideas in this thread!

Sometimes it is the opposition which makes us think and become better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Finally, a more informative, less sensational description of the events past present and future.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/ ... rgies.html
1. It's clear that the protesting parents did not first contact the school to discuss their concerns. If they had, they would have had abetter understanding of what measures had been put in place.
2. The level of sensativity is better described in this news story.
3. The rationel for the schools stance on food as part of celebrations is explained.

Quote:
Through signs and fliers, the protesters objected ...

:frightened Fliers? They distributed flyers...where? Throughout the neighbourhood? This smacks of a witchhunt to me, bullying at best!

Preventing a 6 year old from attending school, distributing inaccurate information in an attempt to...drum up support to convince the school to remove safety measures put in place to prevent a potentially fatal reaction...shameful! :verymad

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:32 am 

Susan I agree with your post. I don't think these protesting parents actually even want a reasonable accomodation. :verymad

Quote:

Other issues raised by the protesters concerned a ban on class snacks and holiday celebrations

School officials confirmed nuts and nut products are banned from the two classrooms where Bailey's daughter receives daily instruction. Children who bring lunches from home must leave them on a cart outside the classroom for delivery to the cafeteria, Superintendent Margaret Smith said, but they can bring peanut butter sandwiches or other nut products.

Ok, then why the peanut sniffing dog. If peanut and nut products are being eaten you know there will be some residue. And if the dog finds some and it is cleaned by the first day back at school there will be more residue. There is no way kids wash hands well enough to remove all peanut butter residue 100%. AND if in the cafeteria kids may eat peanut butter/nuts WHY all the fuss??? Am I to believe that all this fuss about food and parties is just over a couple parties a year where they can't have food in the classroom?? As far as snacks being eaten in the classroom why not have ONE snack a day a fruit or veggie or any peanut free snack to be eaten in the classroom.

Quote:

Bailey's daughter eats her home-packed lunch in a space off the classroom in the company of a teacher's aide so she isn't exposed to any nut products in the cafeteria.

What an awful way for a child to be segregated. This only makes an allergic child stand out as different even more so. I realize the cafeteria is not safe but there must be another option. A separate table just for her and maybe a friend or two IN the cafeteria? Part of our jobs as parents is to keep our kids safe but socially inclusive as well.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:29 pm 

Segregation of ana kids is common, whether at a seperate table, or in one case nearby out in the hallway (older students supervise younger kids in the classroom, while a teacher or 2 does rounds). I am thankful that I can bring DS home for lunch, seems like poor safety systems in place...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:19 pm 

Becky wrote:
Segregation of ana kids is common, whether at a seperate table, or in one case nearby out in the hallway (older students supervise younger kids in the classroom, while a teacher or 2 does rounds). I am thankful that I can bring DS home for lunch, seems like poor safety systems in place...
Becky, I have been told quite often over the years, by principals and upper administration in the schools and Alberta Education as well as other people in our public service sectors that I am the ONLY person in Alberta that is concerned about this. This is why I am a "speaky wheel" (my word, but I know I've been called worse and don't care now, as my kids are just about done school) and I think that has happened to a lot of people here in Alberta. They talk about the health care workers getting bullied, well sometimes it happens in the education world too, but we have our kids to think about, not just ourselves and don't feel we should rock the boat, then if you do a little and it kicks you in the keester, and nobody really listens or helps, well.......I have been told by a lot of people to home school but it just wasn't a good option for us and over all, I am very pleased with the whole education system here in Alberta......but very happy to just about be done with this part of my parenting experience.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 am 

AA, I think we ARE in the minority (but not the only ones). It REALLY seems like they are hearing these things for the first time. For example, I know there are multiple kids with epipens at DSs school, and yet we are the ONLY ones who don't want him to get an unlabelled candy cane at xmas for example.

Are we hyper/over vigilant? Are the other parents too lax (certainly the schools preference)? There are more parents of allergic parents, but I believe they don't all think like we do.. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:51 am 

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/edu ... les_032111
Interesting discussion on the news.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

I love the blogger's comments on working with the school, "Someone has to be the adult."!
:thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 pm 

March 22:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42212235/ns ... nd_asthma/

Quote:
Some public school parents in Edgewater, Florida, want a first-grade girl with life-threatening peanut allergies removed from the classroom and home-schooled, rather than deal with special rules to protect her health, a school official said.....Wait said school leaders will meet this week with parents to address concerns and try to halt inaccurate rumors ...."If I had a daughter who had a problem, I would not ask everyone else to change their lives to fit my life," said Burr.
:banghead :verymad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
"If I had a daughter who had a problem, I would not ask everyone else to change their lives to fit my life," said Burr.

Allergies or other medical issues, that's not a world I want to live in, Mr. Burr. I can only imagine what debates were like back in the day with accommodating wheelchairs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:52 am 

Join this Face Book page to send your message of support the BAILEY family:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gr ... 3302017093

The name of the page is:
We support young Bailey who is allergic to peanuts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

Official statement from FAAN and FAI
Quote:
Protests from parents over the measures taken by a Volusia County, Fla. school to manage life-threatening food allergies have underscored the need for food allergy education in our schools.

Parents of children enrolled at Edgewater Elementary School voiced their objections last week about the school’s procedures by calling the media and protesting with signs expressing their opinions that their children have rights too.

It is unfortunate to see a protest centered on safety procedures the county put in place. Studies have shown that living with a life-threatening food allergy can have a psychological impact, and a public display in this manner may have a detrimental effect on children with food allergies...

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/florida ... ol-protest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:46 pm 

Holy Cr**!!! Mrs. Bailey just posted this on fb.

Quote:
..... DCF was out today and we are being investigated for child abuse. ....We have verfiable evidence that these people have done things and that this is a retalliation act on their part. There are privacy laws in effect however they have been thrown out the window with our daughter a long long time ago due to the stuff that these people have leaked and started. Thanks Kim for truly trying to help us!! Thanks to ALL of you for your support.

Her friend posts that claims have been made she over medicates her child. :verymad :verymad :verymad :verymad :verymad

Why don't they just light torches and run this family out of town. This is NOT about peanut anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Witch hunt- :frightened

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Admin

What a hot topic! Every parent of a child with food allergies cringes at the thought that this could happen to them! AT this time the The Facebook page We support young Bailey who is allergic to peanuts has reached 568 members!

It's hard to keep up with the posts as members across Canada, the USA and even as far away as New Zealand post messages of support.

For a detailed and upto date report of what is happening, check out this news story:
http://calorielab.com/news/2011/03/25/tracey-bailey/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next