You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 am 

Ditto'ing what Susan said. If you haven't been on the page it is just unreal. It ( I think) is the silver lining in this horrific situation. In 2 days there are now 633 members, allergy moms and dads from just about every city you can imagine in Canada, the Us and as Susan mentioned from other countries. Some of these people have dealt with their child's allergies alone and are in areas where they haven't had support. To see so many families, all understanding each other, all supporting each other (and the Bailey family of course) is remarkable and wonderful.

I hope they leave the page open as it has truly become an International allergy support page.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:32 am 

A post from Tracey Bailey yesterday.
Quote:
Also we sat down with our daughter and asked her how she would feel if she could
not return to school due to safety? She started crying and saying she wanted to go back because she LOVES her teacher and Mrs. C the classroom aide. She wanted to know exactly why she could not return and we could not go there with her. She watched my eyes fill up with tears as I looked at the tears running down her cheek. This is really emotionally SHREDDING my whole family.

WHY on earth is no one stepping in to end this?????? I would assume if here in Canada the school board or the Ministry would step in. What is it going to take for someone to tell these parents enough is enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 am 

When my teen heard that the girl has to eat segregated from her class, alone with a para-educator, it made my teen cry. It is not often that a stranger's story can make her cry but you could see her years of handling food allergies sort of hit her all at once. And perhaps the realization of how lucky she has been with the support of teachers and peers.

Knowing that the 6 year old girl has not returned to school really got to her too...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Food allergy is a growing epidemic in the United States, affecting approximately 12 million Americans. It impacts the food allergic child, the child's family, as well as the people with whom the food allergic child and family interact. We as a nation need to have awareness that food allergens can be life threatening and that avoidance of these foods is often not an easy task. This is a global social issue, which requires shared responsibility to protect the health and self-esteem of these children.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/students-with-food-allergies-need-empathy-understanding-and-objectivity-119016544.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:16 am 

Good article. I was horrified to hear about the school backing down from hand washing. I don't know what options are really left for this family. This school doesn't seem like an option anymore. Even if they are forced to re introduce hand washing the toxic environment towards this family/little girl will always be there. To think, this could be any of our children!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like weak leadership.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 am 

I tried to follow the Facebook page for updates for a while, but it's just getting so messy in there with people who are trying to hijack the discussion away from her and onto themselves. I'm actually kind of hoping that they start to deal with this a little more quietly and locally as I worry about the direction this is headed. My first worry was when they all started criticizing Dr. Sicherer's appearance on CNN. Ummm...... hard to think of someone more appropriate as an expert, and yet so few had ever heard of him. But because he admitted that some of the accomodations being made were not necessary (the mouth-rinsing), they rejected him. Maybe they SHOULD listen to expert opinions? Never mind that the overall point he made was that children need to be protected in schools. Like he said .... there is nothing new with this child's allergies, and thousands of children are being accomodated in schools with existing recommendations. It would be easier if schools had laws or standards to follow across the board, but in the absence of those, then FAAN's (or in our case the consensus guidelines for Anaphylaxis in School Settings) should be the recommended course of action. No need to reinvent the wheel with each case. It's become too much of a we said / they said situation. The ringleader on the other side seems to be quite a piece of work .... there really are no words to describe special people like her! If I were this girl's parents I would probably just move on at this point, start fresh at a new school. Even if they do end up sitting down and negotiating common ground, it would be hard to consider it a victory.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 pm 

Momtobunches I agree.
Up until yesterday I thought there was some hope in pursuing her staying in that school. The awareness meeting etc.. Last night my husband and I were talking and we both agree that in our opinion it is time to just call it a day and move. Even if you have to quit your job and start over in a less toxic environment. Move, home school until a better option comes up, drive to a different school even if further away. This can't just go on the way it is, time to act in some way or other. The psycological impact on this child is going to be horrific, there needs to be some sort of resolution and soon. The attitude of the community is astoundingly hostile.

Quote:
My first worry was when they all started criticizing Dr. Sicherer's appearance on CNN. Ummm...... hard to think of someone more appropriate as an expert, and yet so few had ever heard of him. But because he admitted that some of the accomodations being made were not necessary (the mouth-rinsing), they rejected him. Maybe they SHOULD listen to expert opinions?

Until it was posted who the Dr. was I admit even I was sceptical of a dr.'s appearance/opinions given on the news regarding this situation. So many news shows now have their own Dr.s , the ones that know a little about everything but aren't specialized in one area. However, when it was posted that it was Dr. Sicherer do agree that he has great advice and I would call his opinions expert. I really liked the post Susan put up this morning. The entire letter has the same type of approach as what you are talking about Momtobunches.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

What's the latest on this situation?

Is Bailey's Mom supposed to be on CNN? I follow here or on our Facebook page, as like MomtoBunches, I can't wade thru all the stuff on the support FB page.

Can somebody bring me up to speed?
Thanks much.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:47 pm 

I haven't been able to follow everything either. When I listened to part of the discussion about mouth rinsing and wiping at first I thought that it sounded extra cautious. Then I thought about the general hygiene and table manners of some children I see in school. Some children complete their lunch and snack at school and it seems like half of their food is on their face! I watched a child this week in grade 3 trying to blow bubbles with his saliva and then it dripped down his shirt. It is hard to judge the preventative measures in place in a school without knowing the reality of the whole situation.

My heart goes out to the family. The whole situation makes me realize how fortunate we are to have a supportive school community.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:54 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
What's the latest on this situation?

Is Bailey's Mom supposed to be on CNN? I follow here or on our Facebook page, as like MomtoBunches, I can't wade thru all the stuff on the support FB page.

Can somebody bring me up to speed?
Thanks much.

Their family friend, Kim, and Mr. Bailey will be on CNN as per the FB page which has a link to the interview as an "event":

LIVE CNN Interview
Time
Monday, April 11 · 6:00am - 9:00am
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is either 6am or 9am EST, yikes for those of you in CA the times are 3am or 6am :-/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:26 am 

Thanks walooet, I don't do fb yet, and am relying on you guys to keep us updated....sure hope this is going to be good news regarding that family......we were very close to that town while on holidays. I was very tempted to look these people up....dd was all for it too.....but you just never know how far into things a person should step....

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:58 am 

So as not to confuse things and mis quote here are two posts from Kim (Tracey's friend) regarding the meeting last night.
Quote:
I wanted to thank everyone that came out tonight and showed their support for the Bailey Family! Most of the people there didn't really need the information that was given out (which imho was not sufficient). I didn't see any of the protesters there. I did bring up the need to educate the children as well. We shall see what the school does with that.

Quote:
To all of our supporters we want to say thank you very very much. Thanks to those who came out tonight to support us. There really are no words to describe our gratitude for everyone's support. We honestly are not even sure what to say about the rest of the meeting other than those who were able to come in person got to see what we are truly dealing with at this school. The one thing that was beyond words to use was that Swan's teacher, the classroom Para, and the Para who eats lunch with our daughter was present. There were 2 other teachers there from the school. If it was truly about lack of education and or training where was everyone? Thanks Again!!
Love
The Bailey Family

Tracey Bailey:
Quote:
none of the anti allergy people there. This meeting was awesome for our family only because we got to meet some of our supporters face to face and it did nothing for us but confirm our fears and reaffirm our feelings of defeat. The principal and area super intendent was present and not one of them even acknowledged our family.

LIVE CNN Interview Monday 6:00am
Swan's 7th Birthday Party!!! <3 Saturday, April 16 at 12:00am
IDEA meeting @ Edgewater Public School Tuesday, April 19 at 6:30pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:05 am 

I agree about there being so much stuff on the page to sort through. On the top right of the support page you will see a bar that says edit. I edited it so that I only get message alerts when a post I am in is being discussed. This way I can filter the rest out and just stay on top of the Bailey situation.
We also asked them to add links on the right side under EVENTS and DOCUMENTS to put all important information regarding the Bailey situation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:15 am 

It's fun figuring out which of us are on there since we don't use names here :swing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next