You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like yesterday evening's meeting was mainly preaching to the choir. :roll:

"FAAN is working with the school district to organize training for staff, and FAI is fully supportive of their efforts..."
http://www.foodallergy.org/page/florida ... ol-protest

I wonder why these two groups were not at the allergy awareness meeting last night?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:03 pm 

I think the posts on the FB page said that FAAN contacted the school but was not asked to attend. I think there was someone from the health unit.

My guess is that the administration (in school and the division) are wanting it their way and not inclined to have outside help on this one. I can see their point but if FAAN offers to help it is tough to figure out why they would pass up that opportunity. From the Mrs' post she said that neither the Prinicpal nor the Superintendent even acknowledged her family at the meeting last night :banghead

Some of the parents are saying that if a school did not have a nurse they would not let their child attend. We don't have nurses at our schools but they are so allergen aware with everyone trained which is way better to me than a nurse. What good does a nurse do away from the student if the student is showing signs of a reaction that only an adult nearby would recognize? I'll take our 'everyone trained' and 911 over 1 nurse.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:26 pm 

walooet wrote:
Some of the parents are saying that if a school did not have a nurse they would not let their child attend. We don't have nurses at our schools but they are so allergen aware with everyone trained which is way better to me than a nurse. What good does a nurse do away from the student if the student is showing signs of a reaction that only an adult nearby would recognize? I'll take our 'everyone trained' and 911 over 1 nurse.
Me too....and some of the parents....parents of children with allergies or what? :roll: do parents ever question that not all teachers even have 1st aid tickets.....just for regular emergencies? :banghead no responsibilities.....they are only educators.

and.....I am setting my timer to tape...
LIVE CNN Interview LIVE CNN Interview Monday

oh and this part
Quote:
We don't have nurses at our schools but they are so allergen aware with everyone trained which is way better to me than a nurse.
I live in Alberta.....we are way behind on this compared to you there I feel.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:01 pm 

Quote:
Some of the parents are saying that if a school did not have a nurse they would not let their child attend. We don't have nurses at our schools but they are so allergen aware with everyone trained which is way better to me than a nurse
:thumbsup In agreement. I feel very lucky to live in Canada right now, there will be issues of course but I can't imagine this situation happening here.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks AA, Walooet and BC2007 for keeping us posted here and for the CNN time.

Hope CNN will post on site. If the advocates are on early I'll see, but if not I'll be at the acct's - and will want to catch up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:21 pm 

Wow, the chat forum has sure brought the world together. A support group with members from Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela and Spain.
I asked Paola, the head of the support group about the common top allergens in Mexico and other South American countries. Here's what she posted

Quote:
Well, we dont have at this moment mexican stadistics but I can tell you tha the most common food allergies are milk, soy, egg, wheat and corn . We also have another food allergies but I thisk this are the top 5

Here's her response to me asking about peanut allergies.
Quote:
As far as I know is uncommon, and cases with anaphylaxis are more uncommon, or nobody reports them

I find it interesting how different areas of the world have different top allergens. Just as gelatin anaphylaxis, as our son has, is apparently (from what our allergist told us) very common in Japan but very rare in North America.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:02 pm 

Update for CNN interview:
Quote:
We will be on at 7:40am Monday April 11th.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:31 am 

I took a peek at the fb page and noticed a conversation discussing peanut free vs allergy aware.....to me (correct me if I'm wrong) some people think that allergy aware means you may send may contain or traces of. I hope I am wrong...I thought allergy aware would mean aware of what to do if and when a reaction occurs as well.as ..that is what I focus on....that and just educating people about all the different things that affect many different people. It is concerning to me that sometimes the focus is on how to avoid a reaction....important....yes, but recognizing a reaction, knowing that it can turn at any time and knowing how to react when one does seems to get lost sometimes....maybe it was just that I caught only part of that discussion...and haven't gotten on to fb yet.....or maybe it was just the peanut allergies answering....I think I may be a little overwhelmed by the whole facebook thing....it looks a little busy for me.

this question was asked
Quote:
Does anyone know of any schools that are peanut free?
on Wednesday (I think, it said Wednesday below the question)

Here in Alberta I think school boards are advised not to be "allergen free" but "allergy aware"...I feel this is more of a legal cya for that broad statement about "safe and caring" schools. I have talked to many people here in Alberta that have been never been asked not to send peanut products but have heard some media sometimes say....most all schools everywhere are "peanut free". This is just not true....and it's not good for people (especially if there are children involved to get lax because it's a "peanut free school". Although I do know of a few in Alberta who say they are.....and then if only a few staff are trained in recognizing and reacting to a reaction....well....perfect storms...I think the only way to get this looked after is to get a whole lot of education and awareness out there......which brings me back to :thanksign BC2007 for reminding me about setting my timer....I forgot...

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Many people have joined that facebook group from this and other forums and support groups but still, there are a lot of people on it who havebeen trying to deal with food allergies in isolation. For them, that is the first chance toey've had to discuss issues and gather information. I have seen many comments that just don't sound right (Benedryl for treating reactions in children that apparently have severe allergies etc.). The group was started by the Bailey's friend who is not personally dealing with allergies and I don't think there is any moderating going on.

All that being said, you are correct alberta advocate, "allergy aware" usually refers to one being knowledgeable on anaphylaxis what it is, major allergens and the fact that anything can cause a reaction, signs and symptoms, route of exposure including cross contamination, how to administer auto-injectors and instituions policy and procedures on anaphylaxis.

Most reputable information sources recognize that it is imposible to police allergen free establishments(schools and restaurants) and worry that it may cause workers of those establishments to become lax in following protocol or less vigilant/aware for signs of a reaction (might assume a reaction is asthma/flu ect)

If procedures are in place to reduce the risk of exposure and a no sharing policy is in place, most older students can manage to have a safe and inclusive academic experiece. In youger grades or where these measures have not managed to reduce the rincidence of a reaction, more extreme measures may be warranted.

Most of all, communicating the importance of safety and policies is of utmost importance. Everyone needs to understand that the originator of the policies and procedures is the school/restaurant or what have you. Issues regarding p & p should be directed to them and not the individual suffering with allergies. All involved need to recognize that this is not preferencial treatment but a protcol that would be put in place for any individual in the same situation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 am 

Quote:
Many people have joined that facebook group from this and other forums and support groups but still, there are a lot of people on it who have been trying to deal with food allergies in isolation.

You said it Susan. I love the support for the family and it has been a real coming together for the allergic world. There are some really great discussions are on there but they can be difficult to find with hundreds of posts it seems a day.
I have to say that my eyes seem to rest when I come back to my home allergy page, right here. :huggy I like the organized calm feeling of this page, every topic and item has a place, a thread AND I now really 'get' why there is a need for a moderator. Thanks Susan!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 am 

Good interview, no name calling etc. just a calm look at the situation, the mention of the large amount of mis- information out there in the news was important to be brought up. I agree with their comments that they wish people had come to them first before bringing this entire issue outside the school.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
The group was started by the Bailey's friend who is not personally dealing with allergies and I don't think there is any moderating going on.

It was actually started by a stranger and then the Bailey's friend, Kim, got involved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:24 am 

I believe you are correct Walooet, Kim has a special needs child (physical disability) but not allergies. I think it was an allergy mom from NY who began the group.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 am 

BC2007 wrote:
I have to say that my eyes seem to rest when I come back to my home allergy page, right here. :huggy I like the organized calm feeling of this page, every topic and item has a place, a thread AND I now really 'get' why there is a need for a moderator. Thanks Susan!!!

Agreed!!! (am running to the emoticon thread to request an I Agree smilie...)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 am 
Site Admin

You're right! :oops:

It was an allergy mom who started it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next