You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 1523
Location: Alberta
http://www.cbs8.com/story/14443400/plea ... nsive-care
:cry:
I don't think this ended well according to the comments

_________________
Myself - Seasonal, cats
dd-asthma (trigger - flu) anaphylactic to eggs, severe allergies to bugspray and penicilin,pulmicort
ds-Seasonal, cats and OAS
dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy


Last edited by alberta advocate on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2945
Location: Toronto
:cry: The poor guy didn't make it:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011 ... uth-pasto/

Seven-wk-old baby, how tragic. His poor wife.

So ironic that he was a beekeeper; they are in fact considered at a higher risk for sting allergy.

_________________
Allergic to soy, peanut, shellfish, penicillin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: ottawa
So tragic, my hear aches for his wife and that tiny little baby girl.

_________________
DD 12 yrs -no allergies
4 yr old DS - asthma/eczema Anaphylactic to Peanuts, all tree nuts, sesame , all pea/lentil legumes, gelatin.
Allergic to trees, grass,ragweed, feathers, dander, mold and dust.
Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:48 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6456
Location: Ottawa
Very sad story, I feel for his family but I must go off on a tangent here as the article makes me livid/.

Quote:
Kellum said bee stings are rarely fatal, even in those who are allergic.

“A single bee flying around is not a threat to anyone,” Kellum said. “Don’t swat it or chase after it. Just leave it alone and it will go its own way. The only time they can be a problem is when you’re approaching their nest. The bee doesn’t want to sting you, because in most cases when a bee stings you it dies.”


Sounds like he has the facts?
Quote:
...according to San Diego County Entomologist David Kellum...
What!?! Get your allergy facts from someone who studies bees????? :frightened

You might get your allergy facts from the Brewers' Association of Canada, the Ontario Dairy Farmers or someone equally biased! :verymad

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 1523
Location: Alberta
Well, to tell the truth, I didn't know what an entomoligist was but now that I know, I too wonder why they would get their info from him......also, I wondered how you would prove the following statement.....
Quote:
Most people who are allergic know and carry a bee-sting kit with them, Kellum said.
:roll:

_________________
Myself - Seasonal, cats
dd-asthma (trigger - flu) anaphylactic to eggs, severe allergies to bugspray and penicilin,pulmicort
ds-Seasonal, cats and OAS
dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:00 am
Posts: 1119
Interesting considering that over 20 years ago I was given allergy tests for 'bees' and it was 5 different types common to the area where I lived. My range of allergy was negligible to moderate/high - different for each of the 5 types.

It concerns me when someone says "I've been stung before and was fine so I can't be allergic." According to my allergist years ago and my personal experience, it totally depends on the type of stinging insect! I was also told that your reaction could also depend on where you are stung on your body.

_________________
me: allergic to crustaceans plus environmental
teenager: allergic to hazelnuts, some other foods and environmental


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:30 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2945
Location: Toronto
Walooet, Susan, just a reminder of this Stinging Insect article that Allergic Living ran a couple of years ago:

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... es/?page=1
Quote:

The risk in the general population of a sting being life-threatening is about 2 per cent. If you’re having a large reaction at the site of a sting on your body, Vadas says the risk increases slightly, to 5 per cent.

With systemic symptoms remote from the sting, such as breathing difficulties or fainting, the risk jumps to 20 to 60 per cent.

_________________
Allergic to soy, peanut, shellfish, penicillin


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GBing, Maja and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group