Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:24 pm 

http://www.nydailynews.com/travel/2011/ ... lanes.html

Quote:
However, Archer said, no amount of legislation will protect allergic fliers as well as education.

“If you want to ban peanuts on airplanes, you still would not be able to effectively enforce that regulation, since people often bring their own snacks on board,” Archer said. “A ban might create a false sense of security for allergy sufferers.” According to Archer, the existing policies aimed towards educating passengers about the risk of peanuts for allergic sufferers suffice without any further legislation.

“We make a fantastic, very healthy product, with a high source of protein, vitamins and minerals. It’s a great snack for the general population,” Archer said. “Our main concern is the health and well-being of flying passengers and customers, and education is the best way to keep them safe.”
Patrick Archer is the President of the American Peanut Council http://www.peanutsusa.com/USA/Index.cfm

I think there should be a ban from selling them in the airports as well....and there are a lot of them.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:17 am 

It doesn't surprise me that Archer is from the peanut council. Even before I read that part, I figured the peanut industry was lobbying to prevent the ban on peanuts on airplanes. I read a book called Fast Food Nation years ago, and the food industry has huge power to make things go their way. A fascinating read about all things related to the fast food industry from the way animals are raised all the way up to how staff are treated at these restaurants.

Another interesting point was written about in the book called The China Study. This book is about how animal protein contributes to so much of western society's health problems. Much of it is not too surprising, ie how increased meat consumption is linked to more heart disease etc. But one interesting viewpoint was how (in the states) the milk industry was highly vested in promoting dairy consumption so that it would offer education programmes in all the schools on the health benefits of milk, make sure the schools have milk programmes, etc. Now we drink milk, and I think we need it for calcium intake etc, but it was interesting to see a different viewpoint. A parent of a milk allergic child would probably find this even more upsetting because the author almost describes it as brainwashing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:05 pm 

I get so sick of them saying we will get a false sence of security. :evil:

I know that passengers may bring nuts on a plane but I would be alot safer if I knew they weren't offering them to EVERY passenger on my flight! And also selling them in the airport.

Good thing my computer is tough when I type sometimes I think I may push the keys right out the back of the keyboard. :banghead
It is so tough to reason with the UNreasonable. :abduct

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:45 pm 

paige H wrote:
I get so sick of them saying we will get a false sence of security. :evil:

I hear you, paige H, and when I say it, like in the following thread
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6615
Quote:
Unrealistic and creates a false sense of security......but, it says "we're trying" on paper.
Jennifoo, I agree with you...it starts with education and awareness....for everyone.

I don't mean just the allergic, I mean the people around us...

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:07 am 

aa I don't feel that way when it is said from someone who deals with allergies. Coming from one allergy person to another is kinda like taking care of our own. :huggy
I guess it just some how rubs me the wrong way when someone without any idea about allergies says something about a false sence of security. I just don't get the "concern for you" vibe from that statement. I guess being in school meetings they were discussing "nut free" and I was saying it will keep kids safer. That being said I though an allergic family will always be vigulant as peanuts can still be brought in and guard must always be up. Some parents were talking like if we call it nut free all allergic people will get a false sence of security. :freak

As I write this I realize that I have been thinking that they (like non allergy people at the school) don't care, and that I think, they think with the designation of "nut free" we lose our cotton pickin mind and just think Oh gee it all safe here. As I hear the teen's say I'm not stupid you know! I certainly would not trust a nut free zone with my life but I sure would feel better having one.

Any way aa you can say it anytime I won't bothered by it. :huggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:36 am 

Quote:
I certainly would not trust a nut free zone with my life but I sure would feel better having one.
:thumbsup
Quote:
I just don't get the "concern for you" vibe from that statement.
All I hear is business man sales pitching.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish