Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:57 am 

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/lo ... 0110425-es
Quote:
ATLANTA, Ga. - An Atlanta mother says she’s upset about the way a local elementary school handled a medical emergency with her son. The 8-year-old boy suffered an allergic reaction to peanut butter, and it's how the school reacted that has his mother so upset.

:frightened many questions.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:19 am 

http://www.foodallergykidsatl.org/News___Media.php

Seems to be lots of activity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 pm 

How scary for any child to be sent off in an ambulance alone -be it due to an allergic reaction or any type of illness. No child if at all possible should be sent off alone in an ambulance.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

What the?! Given that you have a student with a life htreatening allergy to peanuts, why would you plan an activity that requires the students to smear peanut butter on anything? This reaction should never have happened!

Oh, and the schools response, "the ambulance left to fast." (2:02) he says it with a smirk!
:freak :scratchy :verymad I'd say something but then as moderator, I'd have to remove it!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:23 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Oh, and the schools response, "the ambulance left to fast." (2:02) he says it with a smirk!
:freak :scratchy :verymad I'd say something but then as moderator, I'd have to remove it!

I was wondering if anyone else thought that as well. That guy is the Director of Media Relations
http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/1861 ... 85&C=55465

I guess he would have to walk a narrow line since he's in "The Peanut State"

I wonder what the policies in Georgia are?
Good for that mom for speaking out.....for every one that does it makes a person wonder what goes on that we don't hear about.

It seems to me that things really need to be looked at every year, in every school when it comes to our kids safety.....not just allergic kids....although they are kinda like the canary in the gold mine, aren't they....it says alot about where priorities are in schools.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:44 pm 

lots went wrong here. The whole peanut butter on the pine cone :frightened Who's idea was that. Then the ambulance left too quickly. Who was with him until the ambulance came??? If no one else was there they should have just went and worried about who it should have been later. :dungetit Thank goodness that boy is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

I asked my 9 year old what she would do if this was her classroom activity. She said that she'd ask to leave the room to get a drink of water. She'd get a drinnk of water (she will not lie) and then go to the office and tell them that her teacher has "lost her mind".
:mrgreen:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:05 pm 

:rofl :thumbsup :huggy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:07 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
then go to the office and tell them that her teacher has "lost her mind".
:mrgreen:

:goodidea What a smart girl!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:14 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
Good for that mom for speaking out.....for every one that does it makes a person wonder what goes on that we don't hear about.

Very true. There are far too many people, in my opinion, too concerned about rocking the boat rather than safety.

Not great that he was in the ambulance alone but that would concern me much less than the ignorance of the teacher/school to have peanut butter in an activity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:24 am 

I didn't see the video link that went with the article yesterday and at first couldn't figure out what the talk about bird feeders was all about. :scratchy Then I watched it. :frightened

What on earth does the principal have to smirk about, and as said by I think Alberta..who was with him until the ambulance came if no one went with him?
I would be SOOO much more angry about the pb than the ambulance now that I understand they were actually having an allergic child make a craft with the class with peanut butter (and bird seeds, also ground nuts). :frightened
I mean, would this teacher throw a child who couldn't swim into the pool just because the entire class had gone to the pool? Just try to swim, there is chance you might die but maybe not. Are these odds good enough for the people teaching our children??? US or not, the ignorance and lack of caring is disgusting. It is back to the same issue as a few weeks ago, EVERY child is WORTH the effort it takes to keep them healthy and included. :verymad :verymad :verymad

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 am 

BC, you said,
Quote:
What on earth does the principal have to smirk about, and as said by I think Alberta..who was with him until the ambulance came if no one went with him?
that wasn't me, but that was one of the many questions I had. This is one good lesson in being prepared for an emergency...not to mention the fact that food in the classroom needs to be in the forefront until everyone is educated.....and on that note LIFE THREATENING!!! Why does it take so long to get the education system educated? Safety is not an accident. :verymad

http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2011_12/sum/hb227.htm

What is wrong here?....this is taking forever! everywhere! :banghead
I poke around. It seems there is a lot of money spent covering every ones butt instead of protecting the children... :dungetit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:19 am 

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en- ... tion=32587

Quote:
A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Part 3 of Article 16 of Chapter 2 of Title 20 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to student health in elementary and secondary education, so as to provide for statutory construction relating to a law authorizing a student to carry and self-administer auto-injectable epinephrine; to provide for local board of education policies authorizing school personnel to administer auto-injectable epinephrine to students who are having an anaphylactic adverse reaction; to provide for a definition; to provide for information and training; to provide for immunity; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

This is like leading a horse to water...you can't make him drink.

ANNUAL TRAINING would be a start!! Educating the educators seems to be a very big issue....seems to me to be the place to start.