You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations to Maria Acebal on her appointment as the new leader of FAAN.
And best of luck to Julia Bradsher in her new position with the Global Food Protection Institute.

They are two amazing women. Maria brings an impressive background on school issues, as you'll see in FAAN's official notice below.

FAAN Names Maria Acebal as CEO

FAIRFAX, Va., May 5, 2011 – FAAN™ (The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network) today named Maria L. Acebal, J.D., as its new CEO, replacing Julia E. Bradsher, Ph.D., who was recently appointed CEO of the Global Food Protection Institutehttp://www.gfpi.org/ (GFPI).

Acebal brings to FAAN an extensive knowledge of food allergies, including personal experience raising a daughter with a peanut allergy. Acebal initially joined FAAN in November 2009 as the Vice President of Research Administration and General Counsel. As a result of her daughter’s food allergy, prior to joining FAAN, she founded Safe@School Partners, Inc., a nonprofit dedicated to helping schools, camps, and child care facilities become safer places for kids with life-threatening food allergies. When Acebal joined FAAN, the Safe@School program came with her, and in October 2010 the initiative re-launched under FAAN’s School Food Allergy Program.

Acebal learned about the seriousness of food allergies when the oldest of her three children had a severe reaction at 22 months of age and had to be taken to the emergency room. “While playing at the pool with friends, my daughter tasted her first and last bite of a peanut butter cracker. Within seconds my husband and I knew something was very wrong,” said Acebal. “Today, I am honored to take on this new leadership role as the CEO of FAAN and to continue our work on behalf of kids and adults with food allergies and their families.”

Bradsher, who served as FAAN’s CEO since January 2009, will step down at the end of May and stay on through mid-June in an advisory role before joining GFPI. The institute’s mission is to improve public health by advancing food safety. Itsglobal initiatives include the development of training programs and novel food protection technologies, as well as facilitating the adoption of policies and practices that will lead to improved public health.

“It has been my pleasure to serve the food allergy community at FAAN. Maria’s leadership experience, her depth and breadth of understanding of food allergies, her level of respect within the food allergy community, and her personal experience as a food allergy mom make her the ideal person to lead FAAN,” said Bradsher.

“I speak for the entire Board, when I say how delighted we are to have Maria assume the role of CEO,” said Janet Atwater, Chair of FAAN’s Board of Directors. “Under Julia’s leadership, FAAN has successfully advanced its four mission points of awareness, advocacy, education, and research. We have every confidence that Maria and the incredibly dedicated and talented FAAN staff will continue to expand on the legacy that Anne Muñoz-Furlong started when she founded FAAN 20 years ago.”

Acebal holds a J.D. from Yale Law School, and a bachelor of arts in mathematics, summa ** laude, from Duke University, and is fluent in Spanish. Earlier in her career, she practiced law at one of the country’s leading litigation firms, Williams & Connolly, and then joined the global consulting firm of McKinsey & Co.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, back when she was a food allergy consultant, Maria developed the school allergy program called Safe@School. FAAN was so impressed by it that the program is now part of the FAAN school program.

See: http://www.foodallergy.org/page/updated ... gy-program