* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergy Debate
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:15 am 

http://www.todaystmj4.com/features/spec ... 55999.html
click on video below pic to watch
Quote:
MILWAUKEE - That serious allergy your doctor diagnosed…may not be real at all. A bold new study shows your child's food allergy may be fake.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Post subject: Re: Allergy Debate
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 pm 

Very interesting. I think depending on past reactions I would try it to see if I am still allergic. I did something similar to this when I was 13. I had avoided all the foods I had been told I was allergic to for 13 years. After so many years my doc decided to do a food challenge but with small amounts of food in drop form and monitor the results. It was amazing! I had the same reactions I always had but they didn't last as long and the doc was able to stop the reactions almost immediatly with more drops. I know this sounds very strange but it worked and I believe this doc helped me 'grow' out of most of my allergies and now I am able to tolerate milk in small amounts. I'm not saying this will work for all allergies and this doc will not touch ana reactions since he does not have the resources to deal with severe reactions. He would not test my nut allergy because the reactions I have were too close to ana.
I wonder how the doctors deal with adults who have always avoided the food and have had severe reactions in the past? I would be waiting for the reaction and I would worry about having a false reaction because of the anticipation.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

Post subject: Re: Allergy Debate
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

There are some doctors who will pad their wallets by ordering unnecessary test. A good allergist knows about the potential for false positives and does not want to restrict your diet unnecessarily. This doctor will not conduct a test unless you have reacted to the food in the past. This is part of the history taking.

Anyone who orders a battery of tests to "allergens" which you have never reacted to, run in the opposite direction! :frightened

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb