You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:07 pm 

I know this is old news for most of us, but the comments are always kind of fun on CBC. :evil:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/05/30/peanut-allergy-patch.html?ref=rss

You wonder if people like this are just trolls, but here's an excerpt that really hit a nerve:

"My children have a right to their nuts when and where they like it.

It might seem heartless but it is actually well thought out. In the natural world, these individuals would encounter nuts and die. Simple. Cold yes, but a fact of nature nonetheless.

So any individual who can't survive on it's own should be left to tend to themselves in our world. This way their faulty genetics won't spread further into the population as easily as it might under the current norm."

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:51 pm 

We need a vomiting emoticon!
Disgusting! :verymad

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:50 pm 

Laurie Harada was on CBC radio this morning talking about this peanut patch at about 8:15. It was a good interview - very informative. She made it very clear that this research is still very early stages and that there is still no cure yet for life-threatening allergies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:25 am 

When individuals speak of genetics and being weak... This makes me think of a very evil being by the name of Hitler! :evil:

If they want to see strong people they just need to meet the allergic and the parents!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:22 am 
Site Admin

I have learned long ago not to read the comments, or if I do read them, not to take them to heart.
There are a few people out there who enjoy nothing beter than to pick apart any news item and spew vitriolic comments. I suppose it makes them feel superior.

I organized our local support groups first city wide Halloween party for the families of children with food allergies a few years ago. It was in the midst of many backlash articles and I didnt know what to expect. I approached businesses for donations and I was pleasantly surprised at how supportive total strangers were! I did not have one person echo the sentiments of these commentors!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

These people are such dolts - they spout bile with no brain-to-mouth filter because it's under the veil of anonymity. How many would have the courage to say so to your face?

Not that we should engage but .... I suspect those of us with over-active immune systems would fare far better in the wild, just as long as we avoided our allergens. Not that many roasted peanuts, hunks of cheese/butter, shellfish in the wild last time I looked.