Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:03 pm 

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/ ... eat_cakes/
Quote:
Mansfield schools have approved a no-food policy for classroom celebrations because of a rising number of children with food allergies and other illnesses, ending a longstanding tradition of parents and others sending in birthday cupcakes and other treats.

Quote:
Mansfield joins a number of other school districts south of Boston that have, or are instituting, similar initiatives, as the state’s School Nutrition Bill, drafted by the Department of Public Health, kicks in on July 1. The legislation bans high-calorie, high-salt foods and sugary drinks in school cafeterias and vending machines and gives districts a year to comply.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:44 pm 

:thumbsup :thumbsup

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:51 pm 

Wonderful! :goodidea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:49 pm 

:thumbsup
Even with out allergies to worry about I would be so frustrated when I would go get my son at the end of the school day and he would be walking out with a cupcake two inches high with icing!
Our kids DO NOT need this. My child is like a tooth pick but what is happening to their insides when they fill up on this junk. I also hated when it was my childrens birthday and what was I to do (I usually sent in a reasonable size cookie, pn&nf but not free of all allergens). If you don't send anything it is your child who has to deal with the fact that "his/her mother will not bring in a treat for the class". This is a great policy. I am sure the teachers are not thrilled to have to fit in "have cupcake time" This is why I would see kids walking to the bus in the middle of winter holding this huge messy cupcake! also probably thrilled are the bus drivers who get to clean up this mess. One huge cupcake is something that puts a dent in hunger for a good dinner, oh great we are now eating at 7:30 because some one is full!.........
By the way did I say it is a good idea not to have cupcakes :freak :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:51 pm 

To all the comments above.....Ditto ditto ditto :thumbsup

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:59 pm 

Just had an idea to replace the dreaded cupcake/cookie/....
On their birthday each of the other students in the class (and teacher) could write a special note (younger could draw a pic) and it could all be put together in a little book for them. What a great keep sake. After all it is about the birthday child. My kids have these and some of the kids in the book they are still friends with many years later. For kids with birthdays in summer or over holidays a day could be picked during the school year so no one is left out. What a nice way for the birthday child to feel special. I think a nice comment like "you are fun to play with at reccess" or `you make me laugh`... will go alot farther than a sweet treat.
Just saying :goodidea