* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 am 

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2011/06 ... y-concerns

WOW!!!

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:46 pm 

:happydance So happy to see this! I was never able to attend an over night camp as a child and any day camp I went to I had to bring my own food. I think its great they are willing to accommodate any child no matter the need! Now if we can just get a few of these camps in Canada!

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:47 pm 

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone that there IS an amazing allergy overnight camp in Canada. Kids from all over Canada and even from the U.S. have been coming for years. I personally volunteered there for 2 summers, but am taking this summer off.

Not only is the entire camp devoid of nuts and nut products, every allergy camper is accomodated on an individual basis. Fresh cut veggies are served almost every meal (but not a huge hit). When necessary, food has been sent from home to be prepared safely at the camp by the volunteers. The camp is run by the AAIA, and she hires a registered dietician to design the menu for each of the 20 allergy campers. The menu is closely aligned to the regular camp menu, so the kids feel included (ie pancakes ... milk and egg-free, and wheat-free if necessary) The 3 other volunteers have been myself (a pharmacist), and 2 young ladies who suffer from severe allergies - one a former camper herself, and the other a trained paramedic.

Most common allergies among the allergy campers seem to be milk, egg & soy. Many also have nut allergies, but since the regular camp can accomodate nut allergies the allergy campers - who are "mixed in" with the rest of the camp so they're not isolated, usually have multiple allergies.

I cannot say enough about this camp. We were featured on Global News one summer, and the camp director focused on the benefit to the regular campers as well - that they see how hard it can be for kids with allergies, and they learn what needs to be done to keep their new friends safe.

Of course, it's a great camp anyway - they do canoeing, wall-climbing, zip-line, archery, camp-wide survival games, wetlands, sailing, kayaking.... my son LOVED it. And he got to experience it without fear of food.

http://www.aaia.ca/en/activity-ywca_allergy_summer_camp.htm There's photos too!

Of note, most of these kids had never spent a night away from home before camp. Many of the parents did not know what to do with themselves for the week, and those families that travelled from afar treated themselves to a vacation in the Rockies while their kids enjoyed camp!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:51 pm 

Oh, and one more thing I forgot ..... Kyle Dine will be performing at the camp again this year. I'm so bummed I can't go this year!!! I've always wanted to see him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 pm 

Mumtobunches this camp sounds great......

For Alberta (advocate I mean) ....you must see the irony in the fact that Canada's allergy camp is IN Alberta although they have some of the worst school allergy policy in Canada. :scratchy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:25 am 

Yes, I only learned of it a couple of years ago....and Dd was too old......it's very near here.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy