Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:23 pm 

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/07/ ... 311141640/
Quote:
"This group tries crazy things," Okada says. "One study reported that teens purposefully eat food they know they're allergic to -- they think they've outgrown their allergy or they succumb to peer pressure to try foods they're allergic to."
:frightened There's my silver lining again.....I'm glad Dd knows not to take chances.....when you have had an accidental ingestion, there isn't much danger in a person trying that out "just to see".

I would like to see that study though....I'm not a fan of saying "one study" like that....what is a study exactly? It may mean anything.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:12 pm 

I concur. We have noticed more caution among kids who remember an anaphylactic reaction compared to the one who was too young to remember.

Realistically, I have also learned to simply let go and know that if she experiences anaphylaxis again we will deal with it just as we would if in a car accident or any other problem. I assure you that we still take precautions but simply trying not to worry about it as much. The bonus has been that with my decreased anxiety, she is dealing better with her allergies...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:58 am 

http://www2.prnewswire.com/mnr/faan/270 ... nStudy.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:34 am 

We know of a teen with high peanut allergy who had checked "May contains" on her arm and since there was no reaction, ate it. Clearly she doesn't get it that the may contain could be anywhere in the food item. In that study it said, for May Contains: 13% tasted it and continued to eat it if they had no symptoms.

This makes "letting go" as a parent even tougher:
A total of 54% admitted to eating at least a tiny amount of a food that was known to contain an allergen. Seventeen percent of these risk takers did this a few times a month or more, 44% a few times a year, and 39% only once or twice in their lifetime.

This isn't surprising but still sad: Sixty-two percent indicated that they had at least sometimes been teased about their food allergy.

Best part of reading this study for me is that the points that they identify as higher risk for teenagers do not apply to my teen since she always carries her epi-pen, all of her friends and their parents know of her allergies and what symptoms are and what to do, and she does not eat May Contain.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:35 pm 

:thanksign Mary! This forum is so great. :huggy

Walooet, I don't know any other teens who are at risk but I do know that DD is very aware and does not take any chances like that. Thank goodness....doing those things just would not work for her, and like yours, she's very good at making people aware.

All in all, a very responsible and mature kid, who by the way is soon an adult in this province. Wow, did that go fast....you know, everyone says it, but really......WOW.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy