Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 am 

http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-07- ... is-network
Quote:
This past school year the entire third grade class at his school celebrated their math efforts with an ice cream social party. The teacher had promised me that there would not be any nuts at the party, however when I arrived to take pictures there were nuts everywhere. When I asked other parents who were volunteering to put the nuts away I faced a huge resistance. After a trip to the principal's office I was advised to just go inside and play a board game with Andrew. He missed out on the entire party for which he had worked hard to earn.

:verymad

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

My heart breaks for this little guy! I don't condone the schools actions but I do know that we have to be proactive.

Some teachers are spineless and will accept anything that parents bring in even if it poses a danger to our children. We need to be there at the setting up stage so as to ensure that policies are followed. We also need to follow up when they aren't to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Bringing food to a party/restaurant is OK but better is it is a safe slice of cake, pizza or something similar to what the others are eating. Best if we can arrange the event is booked at a restaurant that can serve a safe meal (call around in advance an find a safe restaurant- have one tucked up your sleeve) or a bakery you trust for the cake. Will the party host allow you to bring a snack or even bake the cake so that everyone can eat what your child is eating?

It does take some extra effort and you won't always make friends by enforcing rules at school but, what is your main goal? To raise your child to be healthy and well adjusted.

It's up to us to lead the way and show our children how to navigate in this world. It's up to us to become ambassadors to the world of allergies and act as a resource for those around us.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:30 pm 

That is sad for the little boy, I hate that things have to be celebrated with food. But if the mom was attending to take pics, why not bring a tub of safe ice cream and toppings? I never believe that others will get it right, even if they are well meaning...

I can't believe the other parents would resist putting the nuts away!!! :verymad