Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:52 pm 

http://www.whig.com/story/news/Peanut-Allergies-081411
Quote:
"We don't have any way of ensuring that no peanut products are brought in," Churchwell said. "We can't search every person that comes in the door for peanut products."

Concerns like these have led to a state law that requires school districts to implement policies for dealing with food allergies.

Last month, the Hannibal School District approved a policy of its own that is less restrictive and more case-by-case than Palmyra's.

"If we have a student that has an allergy, we deal with it in that classroom in that school," Superintendent Jill Janes said.

Quote:
Janes said classmates of a child with a peanut allergy and parents of those classmates will be notified of the allergy. District policy also calls for age-appropriate health education to address allergies and for staff training on allergies.

Churchwell said Palmyra will devote a section of its back-to-school workshop to training on its allergy policy.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 pm 

Once again the emphasis is the on the PEANUT and other things get overlooked!

I would very much like to see something more on the training that goes on for the staff in regards to recognizing and reacting to a reaction.....and more involvement from the families that are living with this.....it wouldn't hurt to spread the education around.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:58 am 
Site Admin

AA, I hear you.

I don't think you'll ever get rid of milk since the Dairy boards/councils etc have such strong lobbying.

All we can ask is that each allergen be taken seriously and dealt with individually. I constantly have to remind teachers that, for my child, a reaction to dairy, egg, beans etc. is equally dangerous to a reaction to peanuts. Dead is dead! :roll:

Certain foods are more easily spread such as peanut butter or the cheese on pizza as opposed to a slice of processed cheese in a ham and cheese sandwich.

Schools need to recognize that our reality is different than theirs. Every surface has a history since it was last washed. Our children are acutely aware of this and are constantly running the numbers of probability of contact with an allergen.

Most people go to school/work without worrying about getting sick or worse.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb