Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:38 pm 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... anada.html
Quote:
Matthew Burns, 19, of Louisdale, Cape Breton, who has a severe peanut allergy, was headed to Fiji for a two-week stint of volunteering. April Burns said her son is no stranger to travelling and has never been refused by an airline before.
This is just ridiculous.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:09 pm 

WHAATT!
Air Canada is making it VERY difficult for allergic passengers to fly with them. I thought the medical form with them was optional? Not everyone is able to see their doctor, have 48 hours to pre plan. If all they need to do is make a buffer WHY do they need us to talk to a medical person with AC. I mean WE know who is allergic, what is their medical person going to do anyway???? Funny how West Jet has no issue with picking up the speaker and making a request of passengers without all the extra forms etc..
I would never fly air canada with our son, so much hassle to get an announcement and now you could be denied boarding?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:07 pm 

I heard or read somewhere that their reasoning is they need those hours to clean the area that the passenger is going to be seated...in case their are nuts left by previous passengers.....really, this whole thing is so stupid.....look around in airports....the amount of nuts for sale is something....

The peanut industry must have lobbyists.....did you know the difference between a lobbyist and an advocate? Lobbyist get paid. I just looked it up actually because I've been called both and was confused. Coincidence ?? still have it tabbed.http://justice.alberta.ca/initiatives/D ... pdf#page=4
$ talks
Reason I was wondering? A teacher/town councillor/past ATA pres. called me that last year.....I wished I had known then, I would have educated him on that. :roll: Oh the roads this has taked me down.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

I just thought of another emoticon: steam coming out the smilie's ears.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:46 pm 

I think Air Canada requires the 48 hours just so people don't do it! Is the 48 hours so they can give a staff person advance notice of 2 extra minutes to clean the seat area? In the article, it sounded like they did not ask for a buffer zone - just advised the airline of his situation.

Go West Jet!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 am 

walooet wrote:
In the article, it sounded like they did not ask for a buffer zone - just advised the airline of his situation.
I think you are right....it's like they are making people lie. :freak

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:23 am 

Here's more http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/u ... story.html the following was said by an Air Canada spokesperson
Quote:
"Bear in mind that once in the air, it becomes more difficult to get medical attention."

omg :roll: funny how they use that when it suits them.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:21 am 

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... ional.html

Am I correct in interpreting their policy that you need to contact them 48hrs in advance in order to request the buffer zone, and therefore, if you are not requesting a buffer zone, then you don't need to contact them at all?

I agree that WJ is the way to go, but unfortunately, there are many places they don't fly. . . .

We are flying on AC next Mar, so I will be contacting them for the buffer. There are still several treenut products that they are serving om their menu.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:12 am 

If they said this is due to needing time to clean what if they don't have time to clean (which lets face it, nothing they are doing in the 5 min. a plane is parked is getting rid of sufficient nut trace anyway) - does that mean then they have the right even if you do call 48 hrs ahead to not let you board?
Quote:

Quote:
The CTA ordered Air Canada to enact a policy after a complaint filed two years ago. Air Canada's policy requires passengers who want a buffer zone to contact the airline 48 hours before flight.

Some argue Air Canada had a right to deny her son a seat on the plane; others feel any accommodation was an imposition for other passengers.
:verymad Oh yah, here we go, start opening this up for a national debate and it will be like reading the comments section after a peanut/school article. :verymad And does the second quote not say IF YOU WANT a buffer not that 48 hrs is mandatory for all allergic flyers????? :banghead You are so right alberta, the 'once in the air bit' they have twisted to their advantage. WHY is this so easy for West Jet???

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 am 

Way to go Air Canada, once again taking customer service to a whole new level. :verymad

We also booked tickets via reward miles, and then DH gave a follow up call to the airline (AC), they were polite, but the jist of the conversation was 'why are you calling, we're not going to do anything anyhow', this was before the change in policy though.

Compensation and an apology are most certainly due!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:35 am 

We also have an Air Canada trip booked for July. I re-read the policy and the setting up of the buffer zone (with all the hoops to jump) doesn't seem mandatory. My son has appointments with his allergist and pediatrician before our trip so I will be able to get the bloody paperwork done at that point. Westjet seems to only make an on-board announcement and set up a buffer zone but it its understood that they cannot force compliance. We have flown with my son for over 10 years and advise the airline upon purchasing our tickets and have never had any problems. For our last trip (to Europe), they put a blanket down on this whole seat to minimize contact with potential allergens. We carry multiple epipens and he never eats airplane foods. This is definitely a ploy to make it more difficult for people with allergies to travel. :evil:

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 pm 

Good afternoon folks,

First time poster, long time reader.

While I have allergies, they are not anywhere near as serious as the forum members on this forum. However I did have serious allergies as a kid.

But what brings me here today is my love and knowledge of commercial aviation. I am a frequent flyer both for business and pleasure and along the way have managed to consult to 3 Canadian based airlines. But let’s get to the situation at hand.

Air Canada's Allergy Policy is located at: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... ional.html

This case with the NS kid going to Fiji is directly related to Sophia Huyer and Rhonda Nugent (Huyer/Nugent) complaint to Canadian Transport Agency regarding Air Canada's Allergy Policy (or lack their of).

In the Huyer/Nugent case, the applicants’ successfully argued that severe allergies are a medical condition as defined within Transport Canada's laws and regulations. This is very important because it elevated serious allergies to a higher level of awareness. In doing so, there is now a presumptive unfit for travel for all passengers self disclosing this condition. The ONLY way to get cleared for air travel is to be assessed by the airlines medical team with the approval for travel granted by Chief Medical Officer.

The list of other medical conditions that require medical approval for travel is located here: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... roval.html
The process for obtain medical approval for travel is located here: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... dical.html

So by now this forum is probably asking, why is Air Canada policy different from Westjet. The answer is because of the compliant process used by Huyer/Nugent. The Canadian Transport Agency (CTA) can only issue a ruling against the airline or airlines specifically mentioned in the original complaint. Because Huyer/Nugent did not also have a specific complaint against Westjet, Westjet is free to continue using their existing processes unless Transport Canada orders them to change their standard operating procedures or safety manual.

Beyond the CTA ruling resulting from Huyer/Nugent and Air Canada, there are three other complaints regarding severe allergies. The CTA has convened a special hearing that will apply to all allergies (the others are specifically related to animals, tree nuts, and fish) and the ruling would apply to all Airlines operating in Canada. Therefore expect that Westjet, Sunwing, Enerjet, Porter, etal will be under similar allergy policy to the existing Air Canada policy.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:10 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
WHAATT!
Air Canada is making it VERY difficult for allergic passengers to fly with them. I thought the medical form with them was optional? Not everyone is able to see their doctor, have 48 hours to pre plan. If all they need to do is make a buffer WHY do they need us to talk to a medical person with AC. I mean WE know who is allergic, what is their medical person going to do anyway???? Funny how West Jet has no issue with picking up the speaker and making a request of passengers without all the extra forms etc..
I would never fly air canada with our son, so much hassle to get an announcement and now you could be denied boarding?

This is not Air Canada making it difficult for allergic passengers. This is the result of the CTA complaint by Huyer/Nugent. Once the complaint process got started, it could not be pulled back into the realm of reasonability. For this I don't blame Huyer or Nugent parties. However there was a lot of unintended consequences.

It's the unintended consequences that bring me to this forum. Perhaps we can work together through intelligent and thoughtful information sharing to get a better results than what has recently occured at Air Canada and what will likely occur at the other Canadian airlines.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
If they said this is due to needing time to clean what if they don't have time to clean (which lets face it, nothing they are doing in the 5 min. a plane is parked is getting rid of sufficient nut trace anyway) - does that mean then they have the right even if you do call 48 hrs ahead to not let you board?

The 48 hours notice is not due to AC's requirment to clean the aircraft or establish a buffer zone. The 48 hours notice is required for Air Canada medical desk to assess the specifics of the situation as contained within the Medical Fitness forms and to obtain approval from Air Canada Chief Medical Officer.

Your right, Air Canada does have the right to deny you boarding due to your allergy because the allergic condition has now been added to the reasons that make a passenger unfit for travel.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:37 pm 

Cage wrote:
... it elevated serious allergies to a higher level of awareness. In doing so, there is now a presumptive unfit for travel for all passengers self disclosing this condition. The ONLY way to get cleared for air travel is to be assessed by the airlines medical team with the approval for travel granted by Chief Medical Officer. ...

from the link you provided, AC says what we have said - IF you request a buffer zone you must have their medical forms done. IMO, "and" means that both conditions would need to be met - allergies AND requesting a buffer zone. And it only refers to Peanut and Tree Nut specifically - guessing that is the only buffer zone they would allow.

This is copied from the link to AC at http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... roval.html
You have an allergy to peanuts or nuts and would like to request that a buffer zone be set up around your seat in order to help avoid the risk of exposure.

Regardless, WestJet has taken a proactive stance of How do we best serve our clients? by putting epi-pens on-board and simply being NICE when it comes to allergies! Many of us can provide examples of calling the two airlines to advise of allergies ahead of time and just how different the companies treat us.