You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:23 am 

Quote:
Officials confirm that a teen who suffered an allergic reaction to something he ate at Walmart on Tuesday, Aug. 16, died the following day at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.

"Fifteen-year-old old Jahrell Dillard, of Lawrenceville, was at the Walmart in Loganville Tuesday when he picked up a cookie and took a bite," said Detective David Hunt of the Loganville Police Department. "The cookie contained peanuts and, having a history of allergies to peanuts, he went into anaphylatic shock and succumbed to the effects."

http://barrow.patch.com/articles/news-n ... ction-dies

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 am 
Site Admin

So so sad. Teens are the highest risk group for fatal reactions. This is a wake up call for all of us. Please, sit your child down and tell them, they are too important to lose! They must carry their auto-injector at all times. Talk ab...out the reasons why they might not want to. Encourage them to talk about it with other teens who also have severe/anaphylaxis allergies ( www.whyriskit.ca ). Find a suitable way for them to carry it but carry it they must!
I don't ever want to read about another young life lost!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:25 am 

Jharell was shopping at the Loganville Wal Mart with his mother and sisters Tuesday night, and he went out to the car to get one of the cookies his aunt had given them when they stopped at her house just before they drove to the store.

Charles Dillard said the cookies were not home-made, they were store-bought cookies, and he thinks Jharell's aunt had simply mixed up the cookies accidentally with some that contained nuts. Jharell is allergic to nuts.

"She pulled out some chocolate chip, and I guess she pulled out some out of another bag that she thought were chocolate chip, as well. She gave them to him as chocolate chip. And that's why he ate them, because he believed they were chocolate chip cookies."

Jharell immediately had a reaction. Medication that had helped him before wasn't helping. His mom called 911. He went into anaphylactic shock.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/202 ... hip-cookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:07 pm 

Father speaks. Very sad:

http://www.star94.com/info2go/Story.aspx?ID=1524831

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:57 pm 

This is so tragic... my heart breaks for this family. I watched the video, and another related video http://www.star94.com/info2go/Story.aspx?ID=1524831 and I'm wondering what the "Medication that had helped him before" was. Was it the Epipen, or something else? It may be that because he went out to the car, and was alone, even if he received the Epipen, it may not have been administered right away. So tragic and his father is so brave to share his story.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:07 pm 

My heart goes out to everyone he knew him.

It seems that too many people use an antihistamine when they should use an epi-pen. Could differences in health care explain some of that? We always own at least 3 epi-pens but the majority of the cost is covered by our extended medical.

Or is it that people don't think it is serious enough to use the epi-pen? Definitely been there done that but the one time that my daughter's throat was closing thankfully I grabbed the epi-pen although it still did take us a few minutes to decide to use it :oops .

Many people seem to think that they can wait a while to see if worsens and then use the epi-pen; my understanding is that an anaphylactic reaction can quickly worsen and that the epi-pen is best used immediately.

My teen is 15 and got extra hugs from me today... :huggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:27 pm 

Tragic, sad, brings tears to my eyes.

I was thinking the same Walooet:
Quote:
It seems that too many people use an antihistamine when they should use an epi-pen. Could differences in health care explain some of that? We always own at least 3 epi-pens but the majority of the cost is covered by our extended medical.

Or is it that people don't think it is serious enough to use the epi-pen? Definitely been there done that but the one time that my daughter's throat was closing thankfully I grabbed the epi-pen although it still did take us a few minutes to decide to use it :oops .

Many people seem to think that they can wait a while to see if worsens and then use the epi-pen; my understanding is that an anaphylactic reaction can quickly worsen and that the epi-pen is best used immediately.

:cry:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:57 pm 

Julie wrote:
This is so tragic... my heart breaks for this family. I watched the video, and another related video http://www.star94.com/info2go/Story.aspx?ID=1524831 and I'm wondering what the "Medication that had helped him before" was. Was it the Epipen, or something else? It may be that because he went out to the car, and was alone, even if he received the Epipen, it may not have been administered right away. So tragic and his father is so brave to share his story.

I was wondering the same thing Julie.

:cry: So, so sad...

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'll try to find the link I saw this am. It said he did not have his epipen with him because he was so diligent at avoiding allergens. The way the father speaks, I believe he had no idea that a reaction can be so swift. Not everyone is given good information.

My heart breaks for them. Regardless of how or why he died, they should be very proud of this fine young man. Graduation next year at the age of 16 and planning to go to college! He sounds wonderful.

Through his death, he will help to save many lives, his organs will help others, he will serve as the inspiration for others to donate organs and others in the allergic community will be reminded that they must always carry their auto-injectors!!

Please now, we really don't need any more reminders.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
When he realized the cookie contained nuts, Jharell ran to a nearby McDonald's, where he tried to rinse his mouth out, his father said. The teen also took an over-the-counter allergy medication, but the reaction continued. A family member called 911 and Jharell was transported to the hospital, but it was too late.

Jharell, who was in the 11th grade at Central Gwinnett High School, normally didn't carry an injection of epinephrine, known by the brand name EpiPen, because he was aware of his allergy and generally cautious.

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/teen-d ... 20883.html

No judgement.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:43 pm 

More awareness is needed...

I am so glad that ALLERGIC LIVING is sold in the U.S. now as well as Canada.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

:banana :thumbsup :huggy
me too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:02 pm 

So heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:09 am 

Oh, so very sad.