Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:28 pm 

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/16/384215 ... -rise.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Aug. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Illinois took a definitive step forward yesterday in helping protect students as Gov. Pat Quinn signed into law the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act, which lets schools stock and use life-saving epinephrine for students who experience severe allergic reactions. Allergy & Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics (AANMA), a nonprofit organization dedicated to ending needless suffering and death from allergies and asthma, praised the enactment of this groundbreaking new law.

"This law will save lives," said AANMA President and Founder Nancy Sander. "We hope this move by Illinois will prompt other states to follow suit and also encourage the last three holdout states — New York, Rhode Island and Wisconsin — to enact laws protecting students' rights to carry and use their prescribed anaphylaxis medications."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 98088.html

Is that true? (blue parts)

...and...what about manditory training and first aid as well? I think this is all "very well and good" but...why don't we check into this farther.....it shouldn't be that much to ask....they are our children for goodness sake.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Aug. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Illinois took a definitive step forward yesterday in helping protect students as Gov. Pat Quinn signed into law the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act, which lets schools stock and use life-saving epinephrine for students who experience severe allergic reactions. Allergy & Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics (AANMA), a nonprofit organization dedicated to ending needless suffering and death from allergies and asthma, praised the enactment of this groundbreaking new law.

"This law will save lives," said AANMA President and Founder Nancy Sander. "We hope this move by Illinois will prompt other states to follow suit and also encourage the last three holdout states — New York, Rhode Island and Wisconsin — to enact laws protecting students' rights to carry and use their prescribed anaphylaxis medications."

Its a start but by no means is it enough. Look at the language and you'll see that there are no teeth. It certainly gets the words allergy, anaphylaxis, epinephrine on the books and officials are beginning to tune into the fact that we are an organized group of voters and we can hold some sway.
"step forward"-Not there yet but movement in the right direction
"lets"-'Allows' in other words, each school can choose to or not to stock and use life saving medicine. So, if they don't use life saving medicine...that's OK too. WHAT?!? :banghead
"encourage"- another wishy-washy word...meaning nothing :roll:

So, has this plan actually done anything? Are Illinios students any safer than they were last year?
Sadly, I don't think so. But kudos to Gov. Pat Quinn and the Allergy & Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics (AANMA) for getting their names in the books. Next time maybe they won't wimp out. (JMHO) :verymad

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:45 am 

Great dissection Susan, couldn't agree more. :thumbsup and a :verymad
And to answer Alberta yes, I have other allergy mom friends who are in the last '3' states! :banghead

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

The right-to-carry meds laws are obviously necessary, but aren't the same as an anaphylaxis emergency plan, which includes regular teacher training, prevention and emergency strategies, etc.

Because AANMA has much more to do with asthma, carrying inhalers / other meds has been their big issue. Kudos for that, but it's not the whole story as you guys are suggesting.

However, Illinois has just introduced anaphylaxis legislation, too. That's the law that could have helped Katelyn Carlson, so that those around her would know what to do. And because her parents hadn't supplied the school with an EpiPen, the stock Epi would obviously really help in the hands of those who are trained to know what to do. See our big anaphylaxis leg / policies list; scroll down to Illinois.

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... -policies/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

That's a great list, Gwen! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:15 am 

gwentheeditor wrote:
However, Illinois has just introduced anaphylaxis legislation, too. That's the law that could have helped Katelyn Carlson, so that those around her would know what to do. And because her parents hadn't supplied the school with an EpiPen, the stock Epi would obviously really help in the hands of those who are trained to know what to do.

Not to hijack this thread but this was news for me that she did not have an epi-pen. I am shocked at how many people with known food allergies do not have epi-pens. Is the education about food allergies that different? Do the kids think they are invincible?

I guess if you don't frequent this forum or others it is easy to not read about the recent tragedies.

Each of these kids' stories has been a reminder for my teen of the reason to always carry her epi-pen(s).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:06 pm 

Poking around and found this http://www.connecttristates.com/news/st ... ?id=652603
Quote:
Also under the new law, schools will no longer be required to have the medicine on hand.

:scratchy :dungetit Were they required before? All of this is so very confusing. :banghead Why does it seem like every parent has to start from scratch because who the heck would know what things are in the first place....like here in Alberta.....many different people saying many different things :roll:

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy