Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:31 pm 

Quote:
One local expert quite rightly calls it a “failure of empathy.”

“These comments show a failure to try and empathize with other people in our community who are faced with a much greater threat than whatever inconvenience our child might suffer because they can’t have peanut butter in their lunch,” says Greg Moran, professor of developmental and clinical psychology at the University of Western Ontario. “These comments are really motivated by a failure to put yourself in the position of that other parent.”

Moran says our failure to understand and share the feelings of others is at the root of many problems.

“One of the most worrying trends in our society is this focus on our own needs and a failure to remember we’re part of a community,” says Moran, adding that a host of challenges, including rising population and diminishing resources , demand a more empathetic response. “We’re going to have to start thinking as a group again or we’re in big trouble.”

Sadly, based on those peanut comments, we may already be there.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/columnists/ ... 33196.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:05 pm 

:cry: This is a sad statement. If we cannot empathize with others, we've lost an important component in human relationships. We need to care about others, and their well-being. As a society, we cannot lose sight of the importance of caring for others, showing compassion and understanding, and respecting our fellow man. We must continue to believe in the goodness of others. In our lives, we surround ourselves with the people that support this way of life. I am aware of the sad, cynical statements made by others, but I still believe in the goodness of most people. For the few, unfortunate, who do not see others in this light, and fail to empathize with the plight of others, all we can do is try to gently educate them. There are so many disadvantaged people in the world who are suffering, so we simply cannot give up on our caring for others. This article really hit a nerve with me and I simply cannot sit back and accept that we are losing our ability to empathize. By showing empathy to those less fortunate, we can once again foster the need to care for others. For those with a life-threatening health condition, we ask for compassion and understanding from others to help keep us safe. We must do our part to gently educate, without judgement and harsh words, so we can care for one another. Let's use these opportunites to educate others, not only about food allergies, but other situations in life that require society to care about one another.

Okay, I'm off to take my kids up to bed! I'll have to put my soapbox away. :huggy to all the caring individuals on this board.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

You want to talk lack of empathy? http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/chine ... 07296.html :cry:

Sadly, lack of empathy is not only dierected to the allergic individual. It's out there in every community. People of often nicer to co-workers than to their own familiy. It's just that we are sensitive to the FA aspect.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb