You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

There was a coroner's inquest into young Megann Ayotte Lefort's death. It's the first AL had heard of this sad case.

Radio station CJAD gives the ruling:
Quote:
A coroner's report does not fault school employees for waiting nearly an hour before getting help when Megann Ayotte Lefort suffered a severe allergic reaction and asthma attack. This was during parent-teacher interviews when the child and others were being supervised elsewhere.

http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry ... D=10311794

Next link tells the story (in French) of what happened to Megann, who was 6 and had asthma and dairy allergy, that terrible night in Sept 2010. A word of caution - this will break your heart.

Her parents are attending the parent-teacher night, while Megann is among 25 kids being watched over in a room. Megann is clearly unwell from 5 mins after her mom leaves her side at 6:15. She's given her reliever inhaler but the ambulance is only called about an hour later. That's when her mom takes one look at her and says call 911.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/qu ... colere.php

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:49 pm 

Oh my gosh,
Quote:
The parents of a six year old Montreal girl are furious that no blame is being laid on the child's school after she died there last year.
NO DOUBT! This is just crazy. Why on earth did this happen? Something is so wrong ....we should know better now here in Canada, but obviously this issue is just not getting the attention it so deserves. Just how many kids have to die before things change? My heart just hurts for that family. :cry: May they find the strength to get through this.

I don't get what the big deal is calling 911 from schools...why did they wait for the mom to make that decision?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:57 am 

This is so very sad and something I worry about everyday.
A friend of mine's son died from an asthma attack when he was in his late teens. I talked to his dad - who said his son's asthma had never even been that bad.
My son is anaphylactic to peanuts/nuts and has asthma that is often difficult to control. It will flare if he is sick, tired, stressed or exposed to cats, dust, etc.
The scary thing is, it can flare suddenly - without much notice. I have had him at the doctor's office in the afternoon and the doctor has said - he seems fine, his breathing is fine, he doesn't hear any wheezing -- but by evening I am rushing him to the hospital because he is struggling to breathe.
He is away at college so I worry about his asthma being under control and I know he does too.
The experts quoted in the Fall Issue of Allergic Living say asthma can be 'well controlled' if medication is used properly - but unfortunately this is not always the case - and with only 140 allergists across Canada - it is hard to get advice when you need it and to spend the necessary time finding the right combination of meds.
Our wonderful pediatrician was always there for us through the first 18 years, but now my son relys on clinics...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 am 

My heart breaks for this family. How can something like this happen?? How is it possible that the coroner's report could not fault the school employees?? If an innocent child dies while in their care, surely there is something desperately wrong. This poor poor family has lost their precious daughter.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:42 am 

If there were a time I wished I knew the french language it is now.

I would like to see all the paperwork on this....provincial, schools, etc. I'm no lawyer, but I'd be willing to bet that they do not have any responsibility and it would be written right in....what about a "shared responsibility", what about "locos parentes"...or maybe they are "educators not medical professionals"

I think if people looked at the "root cause" of this, it comes back to the school.

I am so upset about this....and really want to do something to make a change in the education system right across Canada, but really don't know what. :banghead I just had someone in the education system ask me about "trust", this has nothing to do with trust....except that parents should be able to trust that the people paid to teach our children should know what to do in the case of an emergency....recognizing that there is one would be a good place to start.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Share your frustration.

Kim, our managing editor, got the coroner's report. We'll have details up in NewsFlash on the homepage in half an hour.

And AL won't let this drop. It's too important.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:55 pm 

I have contacted Anaphylaxis Canada with the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was with great sadness that I read of the death of 6 year old Megann Ayotte Lefort in Quebec following an asthma attack in the care of school staff. My heart absolutely breaks for this family. There is something desperately wrong with this situation. How can the coroner not have found fault with the school staff? PLEASE, can Anaphylaxis Canada do something about this situation?? Media attention, education, anything to get this message out to schools about proper care in emergency situations. Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I plan on contacting the Quebec AQAA next.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:21 pm 

My allergic son is in french immersion, and I asked him to read the report - he stopped after the first paragraph, because - obviously - as a milk-allergic kid this is his worst nightmare. But he did say that one of the sitters pointed out red blotches on the girl's skin before the mother went to the meeting, to which the mother replied that it happens sometimes. 5 minutes later she started crying. My french isn't bad, and I don't recall seeing Epi mentioned anywhere in the article. It kept focusing on the possibility of a severe asthma attack, and never mentioned whether or not she had been in contact with any dairy. Red blotches followed by agitation and asthma symptoms sounds like anaphylaxis to me. It sounds like the inquiry brushed aside the whole allergy question due to the cause of death being asthma, is that right? Any francophones out there?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:34 pm 

I am sickened and saddened. There just has to be fairness and accountability taken on the part of the school for this family to ever have closure. I too am very anxious to see what this newsreports says. I'm forwarding it to my girlfriend to translate.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:30 pm 

Just read the AL report. So heartbreaking. 13 hospitalizations for exposures to cigarettes, dogs & cats? This poor child sounds like she had very poorly controlled asthma. The allergists say that all deaths from anaphylaxis can be attributed to 2 things ..... uncontrolled asthma and failure to give an epi. She had both. This girl didn't even have a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:12 pm 

:dungetit I google things all the time and don't understand why no one in our community knew about this. A year ago, this happened? Why didn't we hear something? I find lots of things like this though:
MONTRÉAL – October 5, 2010
http://www.asthma.ca/adults/eucan_aim_news_release.pdf
Quote:
The prevalence of asthma in Canada has been increasing over the last 20 years, and it is estimated that
currently more than three million Canadians have the disease.4 In 2006, approximately 240 Canadians
died from asthma.5 Most of these deaths, however, could be prevented with proper education and
management.6 Doctors define asthma as a "chronic inflammatory disease of the airway" that causes
shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, coughing and wheezing. The cause of asthma is not known,
and currently there is no cure.7

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/200 ... 60127.html
Quote:
Asthma rates among children in some parts of North America are four times higher than they were 20 years ago, says a new report that examined links between pollutants and the disease of the airways.
"The air children breathe is an important source of exposure to substances that may potentially harm their health," said the report by the Commission for Environmental Co-operation.

"Exposures in early childhood when the lungs and immune systems are not fully developed raise concerns that children may respond more adversely than adults would."

The Montreal-based commission was set up as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

http://www.pq.lung.ca/diseases-maladies/asthma-asthme/

Quote:
Asthma is the country's leading respiratory disease. In Canada, 2.4 million people have asthma. In Quebec, it is estimated that 700 000 people struggle with this illness, among them 300 000 children.

Each year, in Quebec, asthma is responsible for 760 000 medical visits, 100 000 emergency room visits, 56 000 hospitalisation days, 325 000 lost work days, 4 000 calls for ambulance services and 150 deaths. Asthma costs $150 million per year.

http://www.csaci.ca/index.php?page=360
Anaphylaxis In Schools and Other Child Care Settings
(pay close attention to the general recommondations)
http://www.nlcahr.mun.ca/Allergy_article.pdf
Quote:
Results
Assessment of school boards’ anaphylaxis policies
The policies of 76 school boards, with equal numbers from
legislated and nonlegislated environments, were retrieved and
assessed to determine the consistency of policies with the
Canadian Guidelines for Preventing and Managing Anaphylaxis
at Schools. Quebec was an outlier in that only three
school boards had a policy that could be assessed despite
attempting to retrieve policies for all public school boards.
Excluding Quebec, school board policies were retrieved for
93% of the randomly selected school boards.

and this is just interesting (U.S.).... http://michelegaudin.com/school_negligence.html

Jmo, but how can some people sleep at night? All this talk and such little being done in the schools where I think would be an ideal place to start....and that brings me back to this question viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7125
Quote:
And the teaching opportunity, well, you know what THAT means to me. Momtobunches, I would like to hear your thoughts on the school to inviting interested parties to attend ie.,parents & children living allergic? You know, a school community thing?

Not to mention, that I still feel ALL staff working with children should be trained in first aid.
and
Quote:
The only recommendation made by the coroner is directed at the fire department, which found that evening that its resuscitation equipment wasn't working.
and would that make a difference if her airways are closed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

We posted this article, based on the Coroner's report, late yesterday: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... at-school/

Still trying to find out more. Re those wondering about skin welts, yes, that's of interest as is that fact that the girl had eaten takeout food (a submarine sandwich) half an hour earlier. The coroner ruled it an "allergic asthma attack" - she was clearly having some issues with her asthma in the previous week or two.

As Dr. Waserman will say on the second page of Kim S.'s article, sometimes hard to say whether straight food allergy reaction or a reaction on a background of uncontrolled asthma. One does wonder whether there was epinephrine available ... Again, shows how much more education is needed. Everyone was focused on the breathing, but might epinephrine have helped.

We won't ever know in this particular case, but I'm quite disturbed that the time factor related at least to Megann's breathing wasn't fully explored in the coroner's report. I'm not interested in assigning blame, but I'm really interested in making sure people know – SECONDS COUNT.

In my view, the coroner has cold missed this opportunity to drive that extremely important msg home.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:20 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
We won't ever know in this particular case, but I'm quite disturbed that the time factor related at least to Megann's breathing wasn't fully explored in the coroner's report. I'm not interested in assigning blame, but I'm really interested in making sure people know – SECONDS COUNT.

In my view, the coroner has cold missed this opportunity to drive that extremely important msg home.
I agree Gwen, which brought me to the following question. Does it not say right on the epi-pen -
Quote:
FOR ALLERGIC EMERGENCIES (ANAPHYLAXIS) AND TEMPORARY EMERGENCY TREATMENT OF SEVERE, LIFE-THREATENING ASTHMA ATTACKS
? So, I go look and gulldarnit, the last one we have does not. (I have old ones that do) and wonder why that change was made.

Regarding the skin welts.
Quote:
“The distinction between the two can be difficult to establish clinically,” Lord says in the report. Although the autopsy found no urticaria (hives), Lord says that can be explained by Megann’s falling blood pressure as the reaction progressed.
I'm sure I have read somewhere that hives can be present or not (anaphylaxis).
Quote:
The Coroner was ultimately unable to specify what triggered the asthma attack, adding that it could have been a serious food-allergic reaction, but it also could have been stress, seasonal allergy or something else.
I would like to add that it really doesn't matter what caused it.
Quote:
The Coroner’s report says it’s “hard to say” whether the situation would have been improved by an epinephrine auto-injector. But Waserman believes it definitely should have been used in this case because of the girl’s history of food allergy. “With someone who is at risk, we [allergists] certainly would recommend the EpiPen,” she says.
“hard to say” :?: :banghead

These are things that make me go hmmmm?, but on another note, as the father said,
Quote:
“If we don’t want this situation to happen again at another school, the report ought to have made recommendations."
and that's where I think the focus should be and this statement
Quote:
Meantime, the school board is upset at Lefort’s efforts to hold the school accountable. “We understand [the family's] distress,” a board spokesperson told La Presse. “But the school has nothing to do with it.”
well, that just makes me even more :verymad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:11 pm 

This is a terrible tragedy. It is unfortunate that there are so many questions left after the coroner's report. It seems that there are many issues left unexplored. Did the restaurant feed the child milk by accident? Was the restaurant staff aware of her allergy? Why was a child with uncontrolled asthma exposed to so many triggers? Did her parents receive enough education about her triggers and the dangers of uncontrolled asthma in combination with food allergies? Why didn't she have an epipen? Did the staff have any asthma or anaphylaxis education training? How many staff were supervising the children at this parent teacher interview night?
This is so heart breaking.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:46 pm 

I tried to find that school board on the net, as I would like to see what the "policy advisory" or "guideline" or whatever they call it there is....I can't find a website..anyone?