Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/A ... story.html

AL is reviewing the decision and will have an article soon.
FYI, this is part 2 of this decision. The 3rd part will be when the CTA and the airlines come to a mutual agreement on what will be done.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Pt. 1 of the decision - AL reported here: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... isability/

The CTA found that those with asthma could be considered "disabled" in the presence of cats. This relates to the disability terminology CTA requires to offer accommodations. It's similar to what was ruled for peanut/nut allergies: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... ir-canada/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:11 pm 

Hi Gwen,

I have reviewed the rulings as posted on the CTA website.

Overall impression is that with the dissenting opinion attached to the Ruling, there is enough wiggle room for the airlines (Air Canada and Westjet) to appeal the decision. This issue will be around for another 12 to 18 months for sure. :popcorn

Interesting to note that from "part 1" to "part 2" the case as reversed back to an issue of cat allergy from pet allergy. Give rise to an interesting question perhaps Gwentheeditor could answer: Are dogs (even certain canine species) an issue with regard serious allergies as contemplated by the CTA disability ruling? :thanksign in advance for answering this question.

I have also taken a look at the Rulings' suggest accommodations, short form note the accommodation WRT boarding and deplaning are not workable and poses an undue hardship to the airlines. I expect that both airlines will file appeals to remove these restrictions.

The buffer zone for required row separation between cat allergic person and the cat contains a serious error in logic. I think the board wanted a five row buffer zone, but the current accommodation suggestion is actually a 10 row buffer zone. This section will also likely be appealed by the airlines if for no other reason than the dissenting opinion attached to the Ruling also states the buffer zone is unreasonably large.

The ruling explicitly sets out two options: 1) Ban cats from the cabin, 2) Make appropriate accommodations that include special boarding/deplaning procedures, special cabin procedures, and establish a buffer zone. Not explicitly set out is option number three, the airlines can reject both explicit options and create their own accommodation plan that satisfies the CTA objectives. I expect each airline to pick option 3.

Based upon the other CTA disability rulings (accommodation for Obese passengers and disabled passengers requiring an attendant, nut/peanut allergy passengers) I expect the airlines to require medical evaluation of the passengers cat allergy status by their own Medical desk prior agreeing to accommodation (and this will have to be completed 72 hours prior to flight time and contain submission on the appropriate medical forms). Additionally, I expect the airlines to apply the three row buffer zone concept.

Of particular concern to the Nut/Peanut allergy folks on this forum is Westjet's current practices for nut/peanut allergic guests. Westjet's practice with respect to buffer zone and other accommodation methods is currently unregulated and enacted on a voluntary basis. This includes their five row buffer zone that is two rows larger than Air Canada's policy or CTA precedent. Westjet could be forced to reduce the buffer zone to the recommended CTA precedent in-order to comply with CTA ruling. :banghead This would not be well received by this forum and should be watched for very closely. :goodidea My recommendation would be to start lobby Westjet for and the CTA for a five row buffer zone.