You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:53 pm 

Quote:
A Renfrew, Ont., mother says her seven-year-old son's allergy to nuts was used to bully him at school, an incident she says took a month for him to get over.

Kerri McDonald said her son, Nevin Prevost, came home from school one day in a panic, ran to the bathroom and began scrubbing his face.

Prevost, who has a severe nut allergy and carries an EpiPen wherever he goes, said the incident began in his Grade 2 French class.

"This boy that was standing beside me whispered in my ear, he touched me on the shoulder, and he said 'I ate nuts for snack,'" said Prevost. "And I was kind of worried that he did."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/st ... lergy.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:22 pm 

Just tweeted the CBC National.....
Quote:
Thx 4 story allergy/bullying. Pls do more.All school kids deserve protection like "Sabrina Law" Ont. Megann, Que? Why wait?
this am. btw, this tweeting is just the thing for someone like me....I bet you are all surprised that I can get so much into so few characters. :mrgreen: :pipe None of all that "blah blah blah" (gov. & ed admin). Just get the job done. Kind of like the pipeline stuff....lots of talk and then just get the job done.

On the story, first off what hit me is how young grade 2 is. A person really tends to forget...my ds is finishing up grade 9 this year. I can't remember (& not watching it again..cuz I don't like to cry)if this incident was in a line up..(I think a lot of bullying goes on unnoticed in line ups) but I don't think many people really get what this does to a child, and when someone on t.v. speaking out, I think about all the children that feel this way, not just my dd, and I know that she did at times, especially when those memories of dying are fresh in her mind. This just breaks my heart.

Some of the headlines I see retweeting this cbc story seem to be focusing on blame. Nature of the business, I guess, but the focus really needs to be on awareness,educating and preparedness (a little understanding an empathy would go a long way). Here in Alberta the government is now talking about children as young as 3 being enrolled Pre, pre -school or something (I personally believe some parents could use some more education so as be better parents)....I would hope that we get this straightened out before someones child dies here because of an undiagnosed allergy...that is so young to be sending them off to school, jmo. and the chances of a "named" law are going up. We need all teachers and support staff all to be trained in life saving procedures......BEFORE!
Oh, and :huggy :huggy :huggy to that young gentleman and his mama. :thumbsup for speaking out. :thank sign from this allergy mamma and her chicks.
p.s. I am sure glad to have this forum....cuz tweeting just don't cut it. I still need to vent. :thank sign all!

edit to add Chinooks Edge School Divison no. 73
Quote:
Our school communities are supporting children as young as three as they prepare for the excitement of Kindergarten! http://bit.ly/ydnJpk
This was on their twitter Jan 20/12

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

The mother was on Facebook the other day and she wanted to clairify a few points.
Kerri Lynn McDonald Prevost said,
Quote:
I hope that all those who have made comments read this. I am the mother who was on the news cast last night and I would like to put a few misconceptions to rest. I did not approach the CBC to air out the situation rather they approached me after hearing of the incident that my son went through. When they told me they were doing a story on bullying more specifically on allergy bullying and asked if... we would share our story I agreed to help educate and shed light that this really does happen.
The boy who sought out my son by asking him " Are you the boy with the nut allergy" then told him he just ate peanuts and proceeded to wipe his hand on my sons neck and shirt did so to be mean and scare my son.
I did not go on CBC to complain about nuts in the school or what rules may or may not apply. I went on to share our story and to shed light on the fact that bullying is real and the emotional scares are real. A child who is bullied feels shamed and afraid, imagine adding the real fear that if you have an allergic reaction it could possibly lead to death. I was hoping that being a voice and an advocate would encourage the issue of allergy bullying to be talked about and brought out into the open so it would hopefully be less common. I do not over protect my son he is happy and healthy he is involved in many activities and has many friends. He returned to the school the next day where he confronted the boy with the school staff and it was dealt with, I feel that my son was very brave to go on the news and stand up and voice that this does happen, he told me he wanted to tell his story so it would help others to know that it is wrong to do mean things just because someone has an allergy and to let other kids know that they are not alone.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 pm 

That momma should not have to defend herself, but I sure do get what she means. And BRAVO to her and her young man for speaking out and sharing. I am sure that many people have thought about things that have never even crossed their minds before because they watched that news piece. :thanksign again.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:59 pm 

I am an adult and yesterday had an incident at a tile store where an employee had a container of nuts at her desk and I politely asked if she had procedures in place for eating her nuts at her desk. She immediately got enraged, stating "don't go there", "this was not a school", "do I do this everywhere I go", "I was trying to guilt trip her", on an on for about 5 minutes. I tried very hard to diffuse her anger and to keep calm, took my sample tile and will never return. I was totally shaken and realized the hostility people have with allergies. I told the woman that nobody is immune and that I developed my allergy at 40. I don't think this woman was listening to me only judging, all I wanted to hear was that she wiped her hands before she touched anything after eating her nuts. Next time I will just leave without comment.
For the most part I have only encountered this one negative incident, I expect though that there is probably more going on with children than adults. I believe these kids that are bullying are getting it from their parents who are terribly misinformed, probably from media pieces like that one.
Good for the boy who rose above to bring awareness, he's a hero to me! Also his mom for putting herself out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:38 am 

loumac - regardless of whether you return to that store I think you should call and let a Manager know how their employee treated you. Would the woman have a bee hive at her desk? That is the same danger to me as a bowl of tree nuts is to you - just looking at it can be unnerving even if the chance of reaction is small. Personally, if an employee is wearing heavily scented products I won't shop there. These are all things that companies in 2012 need to think about!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

walooet wrote:
loumac - regardless of whether you return to that store I think you should call and let a Manager know how their employee treated you. Would the woman have a bee hive at her desk? That is the same danger to me as a bowl of tree nuts is to you - just looking at it can be unnerving even if the chance of reaction is small. Personally, if an employee is wearing heavily scented products I won't shop there. These are all things that companies in 2012 need to think about!

Yeah! Doesn't this employee get a lunch break? What if someone was shopping with their child? Nuts are not only highly allergic, they are a choking hazard. I think it's not only disgusting that she eats at her post, I think her behaviour was most unprofessional. What happened to the customer was always right? They are not the only store in town that sells tiles.

Allergies aside, how would you feel if you saw a security guard, hair dresser, nurse, ticket salesperson, department store clerk eating at their jobs? Geesh, I know the whole "grazing" thing was popular a while back but come on now...work when your working and eat on your break in the break room!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:29 pm 

Thank you for the encouragement - I just posted another rant in another section about open nuts in the grocery stores etc. I will write that letter to the manager.

If the young man can be brave so can I.

Thanks