Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:05 am 

http://www.dailypress.com/news/educatio ... ory?page=1
Quote:
Under legislation introduced this year, any school with a student that has a life-threatening allergy must train two employees to administer "auto-injectable" epinephrine. Schools with fewer than 10 employees must train one person

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Admin

All of them!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Admin

In my opinion, every it is the duty of every employee in the school to keep the students safe. Any employee should be able to recognize and respond to an emergency. If you only have 2 or 3 employees trained, what happens if the are off due to illness, bereavement etc? What if they are on a fieldtrip? Is it that difficult to hold training sessions for all staff?

Quote:
Allergy and Anaphylaxis Informational Response (AAIR) resources were distributed to all Alberta schools to increase awareness about allergy causes, effects, and treatments among educators, parents and other care providers.

and
Quote:
The AAIR resource is part of the Safe and Caring Schools Initiative: Safe and Caring Schools
Alberta Education supports schools that are safe, caring, orderly, positive, productive, respectful and free from the fear of physical and emotional harm. For more information about the Safe and Caring Schools Initiative, visit: http://www.education.alberta.ca/teacher ... hools.aspx

http://education.alberta.ca/admin/healt ... /aair.aspx

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:40 pm 

Every single person who deals with students at our school attends a first aid info session where medical conditions are reviewed (e.g., diabetes, anaphylaxis, heart conditions, asthma). The student names are listed for each area other than allergies since there are too many to list. The nurse reviews the use of the epi-pen, shows a video and then passes out trainers for everyone to try.

All teaching assistants must have first aid training that is kept current. Sometimes a professional development day is used for the first aid recertificiation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:40 pm 

Well, it looks like everything here is getting a "makeover". Like a principal once said to me...."this just makes my head hurt." arggg...he made me so mad.

This is not rocket science nor is it about due diligence as I overheard one teacher say to another....kids die! Train everyone every year, invite the families that are dealing with this, they would love the help......education shouldn't be so hard in the education system. What the hoo ha? We all know that the training is NOT happening here....and until someone dies, and maybe not even then....will that happen. Quebec is a fine example of what can happen.....and then IT IS TOO LATE!!!

This week the spring session is beginning in our legislature....I can hardly stand the wait. :banghead That "shared responsibility" bit is there....but that doesn't make school boards "get it".

Someone from Alberta Ed once told me that "WHEN something happens and it is found that training wasn't sufficient that then something would happen w/the school board"....but that is just it why the heck are we waiting for a name for the law? :dungetit and then I think "money" and then I think about all the money that is spent (wasted in many cases) and I wonder how some people sleep at night.

Just like the superintendent that told me "until something happens, we are not responsible" and it's true. Between the teachers and the lawyers in the politics....they are definitely covered....can't say the same for our kids. :verymad

http://education.alberta.ca/department/ ... tions.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 pm 

Our school trains all staff from teachers to secretary to custodian to all bus drivers. They all have a yearly training seminar before each school year with health officials.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:27 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Our school trains all staff from teachers to secretary to custodian to all bus drivers. They all have a yearly training seminar before each school year with health officials.
:happydance :thumbsup

I had a bit of a rant written but never posted, so I'm happy others are ranting too... makes me feel 'normal' somehow. Here's take two, maybe a little more ranty than the first:

Why is it so difficult for all staff members to be trained (and kept current!) in standard first aid and CPR, which includes anaphylaxis and autoinjector training? These people are in the care of children almost every single day: children who play on the playground, have gym class, run around, and have snacks and lunch every day. I consider standard first aid a mandatory and essential training for everyone, especially teachers and school staff!!!

I often wonder why teachers who are involved with students with a particular medical condition, whether it be diabetes, anaphylaxis, asthma, etc., wouldn't want to be trained to know what to do to help a student should anything happen. Or to do everything in their power to make sure everyone is included - from that girl in a wheelchair to the kid with asthma and allergies. Seems like common sense to me. But apparently my definition of common sense isn't so common.

And really... how long does it really take to get the basics across - 15 minutes. How hard is it to add 15 minutes to a mandatory annual staff meeting? Not hard. Where I used to work we had mandatory health and safety training (varying topics) every 6 months... and that was a public swimming pool! (That was in addition to the usual lifeguard and swim instructor trainings.)

:dungetit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 am 

spacecanada.. WELL SAID from beginning to end!!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:26 am 

I think it stems from the fact that at one time in Canada there were liability issues. Now with the Good Samaritan law you don't need to worry about that, but a lot of people don't know we have this kind of protection in Canada.

Also, we see a lot of stuff in the states about people getting sued for helping. Obviously due to the law above we can't here in Canada but I think people start believing that is the truth. I know that is why a lot of old teachers I knew didn't get training, because they were afraid to be sued if they did something wrong.

Things have changed but thoughts haven't. I think it will come though, once people are educated about the laws that protect them and not being afraid of lawsuits, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:46 pm 

In case anyone reading this GirlfromNWO I will assume if not corrected that you are from North West Ontario. And that one of the things that would/should get discussed would be sure to be the Good Samaritan Law.
If an annual training session were mandatory, as in law...that is the good thing about the word negligence....it makes people pay attention. Before tragedy happens. That old saying, "an oz of prevention...."

When "Sabrina's Law" came into effect in Ontario.....people got educated.

Walooet, I think that Manitoba has some legislation as well. That's probably why it's happening there as well. I hope that word gets out there for all the parents that are moving to Alberta (cuz, really, it's a pretty steady flow) that we in Alberta only have "safe and caring"...whatever that may mean....pretty loosey goosey. When a government is as comfy as this one...it seems to be more about padding pockets than getting things done....for a province that has so much....our education and health systems are in pretty poor shape in places but some people make a lot of money in those professions here....and some are retiring with some really nice pensions or transitional allowances or whatever...... :verymad the more I know, the madder I get.

SpaceCanada, this year I asked the health nurse whom I requested to come to our school which dd attends if she goes to every school in town to do this and was told only when requested. With the amount of meetings that go on in some schools they could schedule it...and what I have seen going on at some of those meetings :roll: really......I have been pretty disgusted by some people's priorities.