You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:08 pm 

Quote:
Some studies suggest that 5 to 15 percent of adults with food allergies have experienced some symptoms after kissing. So when is it safe to lock lips?

“The most foolproof thing is to have the person (you’re kissing) not eat what you’re allergic to,” said Dr. Scott Sicherer, a professor of pediatrics at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.

Quote:
Sicherer’s recommendation is based on a 2006 study he co-wrote that looked at how long proteins from chunky peanut butter stayed in subjects’ mouths.

Within an hour, scientists couldn’t detect the protein in most subjects. But in some cases, it was detectable even after they had brushed their teeth, rinsed their mouths, chewed gum or had done a mix of those things.

Still, there is no consensus among doctors on when it is safe to smooch. The allergists who presented the case at the November conference recommend waiting 16 to 24 hours.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ution.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:29 pm 

We wait 3 days. Experience has proved to us that anything less is dangerous.

But it's not JUST kisses. Any body fluids are a risk. I have had very serious reactions to my husbands sweat.

~~

Personally, I don't think they are looking thoroughly enough at this problem. It isn't just how long the peanut protein remains in the mouth. Once it's completely gone from the mouth it has been digested. When you produce saliva, that soliva could have protein in it.

Think about how eating certain foods makes your sweat smell different. I've noticed the odour especially when dh eats curry or a lot of garlic. And I remember when my kids were small, certain foods made the urine in their diapers smell different. If food odours come through fluids, it makes complete sense to me that food proteins can be coming through as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

If you want a good read on the topic, just a reminder of this AL article on the topic: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... es/?page=1

AM, re the what comes through part, I'll ask someone here to post our "** and allergies" article, which got into some of that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:08 am 

Excellent article Gwen. And I'd be interested to read the other one you mentioned too.