You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Allergic Living heard from the father of the dairy- egg-allergic child who starts kindergarten next week. What a mess.
The father didn't want an outright 'ban' in the classroom, but since the board says there's no other room for the kids to eat, that was the solution.

Now the local paper has weighed in with this highly one-sided article. http://www.therecord.com/news/local/art ... in-lunches

What do you think of the situation? FYI, this is in Ontario, where Sabrina's Law requires allergy accommodations, but at the board's discretion.

And here's the CTV report: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipI ... d=1.815923

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

I think this is a clear case of the school shirking it's responsibility to the student with food allergies and placing that responsibility on the shoulders of the other student's parents! :verymad
Don't get me wrong! As a parent of a child with ana allergies to egg and dairy as well as peanut, all tree nuts and most peas, beans and legumes, I am keenly aware of how messy 3-4 year olds can be with cheese strings and yogurt tubes. I do think that it is important to ban some foods but to create a safe list of recommended foods. :roll:

1. A safe list of food is only good on the day it is created because companies change formulas and production lines, label reading is the only way to ensure that a food is reasonably safe and I say 'reasonably' because it might still be at risk of cross contamination by another food on the production line.
2. By 'recommending' these foods and doing no more, it is merely lip service! How can you be sure the bread and luncheon meat is the correct brand?

I notice that the school is continuing their pizza days, just singling the JK entire class that this boy is in. If that doesn't incite bullying, I don't know what will!

Schools have got to recognize that the days of kids going home for lunch are over and that, until science finds a cure, there will be students with food allergies in every school across this country. We need a place to contain the food, we need proper supervision and a process of ensuring the allergens are removed after the meal.

WE NEED CAFETERIAS! :banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
WE NEED CAFETERIAS! :banghead

Ain't that the truth! Or at least a designated lunchroom (aka a classroom) that's thoroughly cleaned up.

The follow-up story shows the school board's plan wasn't what the allergic child's parents were seeking.

The dad says: “They (the board) have made this into a spectacle for my son. You think he wants to start school this way?” Oy what a mess!

http://www.therecord.com/news/local/art ... en-can-eat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

The school is not taking any responsibility for keeping this child safe! They are passing it off to the other students and their families and making the boy a scapegoat!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb