You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What a nut!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 pm 

This is what I woke up to Sunday morning as I read Sunday paper, (Edmonton Sun) it seems Mr. Danny Hooper has a problem with allergies!!! :verymad
He explains how he is allergic to apples then goes on to say how he loves them and eats "LOTS" of them. :dungetit Sure wish I could do that with the foods I am allergic to.
Whats my problem?? :scratchy

This is what it said.

What A Nut!

I damn near started a national incident this past week at CFCW radio during an on-air discussion my co-host Sharon Mallon and I were having about… peanut allergies. In fact, my comments got me called into the boss’s office.

During that conversation, I made the remark that back when I was going to school, nobody’s life was ever threatened by eating, looking at, or being in the same room as a peanut butter sandwich. Apparently that is not the case today.

Bring the subject up around the water cooler and you won’t believe the horrifying stories you’ll hear, like the one about the kid with a peanut allergy whose mother had every single nut yanked out of Commonwealth Stadium (though you wouldn’t know that during a Roughriders game).

Or the blood-curdling tale of another hyper-sensitive mom who ran shrieking to the principal’s office after she discovered a peanut butter smudge on the kid’s slide at a local school playground. The area was immediately cordoned off and ‘decontaminated’ at a cost of several thousand dollars.

I tell you, these peanut people have pull.

Based on the response from a few of our listeners, not many, just a few, peanuts are poison. I don’t know about that.

I suffer from food allergies, as many people do. Hazelnuts cause my throat to burn and feel swollen. And apples? Don’t get me started. If I eat an apple and touch my eye, it turns all red and itchy and darn near swells shut.

But I love apples, and eat a lot of them. And here’s the thing, I don’t just have an apple allergy, I also have a home in the Osoyoos, B.C., the ‘Apple Capital of Canada.’

Have I tried to shut down the apple industry out there yet, or lobby for others not to be able to eat apples in the Okanagan? No. I just remember not to touch my eyes when I eat one.

That’s what I think people should do when they choose to live in a society. Be respectful of the rights of others, make sensible adjustments in your own bubble, and don’t try to bully the majority.

And who knows, as I said on our radio show, this whole ‘peanut thing’ may just be a big ol’ conspiracy by…the jam industry!

danny.hooper@sunmedia.ca

Post subject: Re: What a nut!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:25 am 

Insert expletives, anger, and frustration here. I don't think sending letters to this person would help; they may just feed his power trip. *sigh*

I'm thinking a note into our local paper to do a section on anaphylaxis may be due, especially at the beginning of the school year. Yes, raise some real awareness! (Edited to add: Both St. Albert newspapers have been contacted. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56 am 

For someone with allergies, Mr Hooper has an astonishing ignorance of allergies and anaphylaxis. If he feels the need to express his opinion, he should at least come across as well informed on the topic. Unfortunately, people like him who express their opinions in this sensationalist way are usually quite ignorant in general.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:10 pm 

Karma just might get him given that he said "Hazelnuts cause my throat to burn and feel swollen."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:29 am 

He's just a moron. Unfortunately, the world is full of them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

:rofl You said it, youngvader!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb