You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:26 am 

Quote:
The findings, reported in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, add to a mixed bag of results from research into whether probiotics can help ward off kids' allergies.

Based on what's known so far, it may be that only certain probiotics are helpful for certain kids - but even then, the benefit seems "very modest," according to Dr. Sonia Michail, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Children's Hospital Los Angeles who was not involved in the work.

Quote:
All of the babies were considered to be at increased risk of allergies because their mothers suffered from them.

In earlier studies, the researchers found no benefits of the probiotic when the babies were 1 to 2.5 years old.

This latest report finds still no effects at the age of 5. Of 66 kids who had received the probiotic in infancy, 44 percent had some type of allergy - such as nasal allergies, food allergies or asthma. That compared with 38 percent of 57 kids who got the placebo.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sn ... 1425.story

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:36 pm 

We were interested in trying probiotics with my third baby after a visit to the naturopath to discuss eczema - however the resulting "prescription" contained dairy for my infant before we had even established if she was allergic to dairy. It made me skeptical of the homeopathic doctor as there was a lack of awareness about true allergy. Has anyone else had similar or better interactions?

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies