You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:49 pm 

We went there with my son's daycare yesterday. He was part of the daycare group and I was there as a volunteer. At lunch time we went to the Pancake House for lunch. Just to make sure I asked the hostess about the safety of their food. (My son Eyal has a peanut, treenut and sesame allergy). The Hostess replied she thinks it should be ok. The word "think" is never reassuring. I asked for her to please check with the kitchen. Out came a manager and told me that although they don't cook the breakfast foods with any nuts or peanuts, there was no guarantee that the food is safe due to the fact that it is also a wedding facility and they have all sorts of food in the kitchen. understood. I mentioned then I would feed my son his "just in case" food at which point she said I was not allowed to bring in any outside food. I was floored. I needed clarification so I asked her, "Your food isn't safe for my son to eat but you will not allow me to feed my NINE year old in the dining room". She replied we don't allow any outside food and then she had the nerve to say you can't bring any outside food because what if there are other allergic people inside?! how is her comment even logical or even relevant? if there were allergic people and their food isn't safe guaranteed they would not be eating in the dining room!
Anyhow, I then had to take my son who is in tears now outside. We had to eat outside in the cold because he wasn't allowed to be in the dining room with outside food.
I understand their policy about outside food, I get it. But my son was part of a very large PAYING group and he was denied a seat in their facility due to his allergies even though they could not provide him with a safe meal. It ruined the rest of the visit.
I found their staff to be very ignorant and extremely insensitive about allergies. In case like this, where a nine year old is part of a larger group he should have been allowed to sit and discreetly eat his sandwich so he could continue to be part of his daycare. The manager I spoke to was not rude but was not very educated about allergies and this can prove to be dangerous for our allergic children.
My son is used to being different because off his allergies but this was the extreme to exclude a child bc he couldn't eat their food or eat HIS own food. What would be the alternatives? 1. He sit in the dining room and WATCHes his friends eat? OR goes outside alone to eat his "outside" food as if he were a leper.
There was no compassion or understanding. It is not on their website - had I seen their no outside food policy on their website I would not have gone and I can guarantee that I will never go back. After I wrote them an email about the incident, they called the daycare but didn't bother to call me to apologise and they even tried to convince my son's daycare that they HAD to stick to their policy!