It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:23 pm 

Story is on the Toronto Star's website:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... =News/News

First couple of paragraphs:

Teen did not die from peanut kiss: Coroner
Mar. 3, 2006. 11:34 AM

SAGUENAY, Que. (CP) — A fifteen-year-old girl with a severe peanut allergy did not die from kissing her boyfriend following his snack of peanut butter, said local coroner Michel Miron.

The story made headlines around the world and Miron he wants people to know that a peanut butter sandwich didn't cause the death of Christina Desforges last November.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, Allergic Living will have a story about the investigation of this death in the Spring issue of the magazine (out at the end of March). We found out the coroner was leaning against anaphylaxis as the cause, but we've also found leading allergy experts who caution that it may be difficult to be definitive about the precise cause of Christina's death. These experts say that because asthma can also be a part of anaphylaxis, it can be very difficult to rule out anaphylaxis all together.

It's a complex topic, not as easily resolved as - "she died of this or that". In one allergy expert's view, it's usually not "an either-or scenario".

I know it almost goes without saying - people do still need to be careful and to coach teens to be careful about kissing/allergens. And to make sure their asthma is under control, too.

Last edited by gwentheeditor on Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:49 pm 

Yes, I agree that we need to wait for further information, but the coroner sounds pretty definite that it wasn't an allergic reaction - the fact that he's releasing information ahead of the official report makes me wonder why he is so sure. However, how well the coroner understands the relationship between anaphylaxis and cascading reactions involving other body systems (lungs) remains to be seen. I will be looking for his final report when he releases it, and yes, I'll keep in mind that many anaphylaxis-related deaths are erroneously attibuted to other causes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:12 pm 

Here's another link to the story.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/Arti ... rgy_060303

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:44 pm 

I'll be interested to read the story in AL mag.

Both articles make reference to the "Canadian Association of Food Allergies." I highly doubt there's an association the name of which implies that "food allergies" got together and said, hey let's start an association. Do they mean "The Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology"? Or Anaphylaxis Canada? Or...what do they mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:53 pm 

There's a CBC story, too: http://www.cbc.ca/montreal/story/qc-peanut20060303.html

I didn't understand this comment in it: The reason Desforges didn't use her syringe to give herself a shot of adrenaline is because she didn't have an allergic reaction to peanut butter, Miron said.

Wonder if he actually said that or if it was taken out of context. As if anybody's always that sure it's a food reaction! And I know he's a coroner, but how would he know her motive for using it or not using it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:51 pm 

I agree with you, stella. I personally thought that comment was way off base. But I have heard of people being misquoted by the media (!!), so I am withholding judgement for the moment. I really hope he didn't say that, though. I'm sure lots of people are not sure what exactly they are reacting to.

Christina herself thought she was having an asthma attack. The new anaphylaxis guidelines say this :

Quote:
"Sometimes people who have severe allergies also have asthma. Epinephrine can be used to treat both potentially life-threatening allergic reactions and severe asthma attacks."

Reference: http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/default.asp?catid=14&catsubid=20.

As for the "Canadian Association of Food Allergies", it doesn't exist. I guess he was either thinking of one group in particular or of the alliance that put together the guidelines. Or perhaps a combination thereof!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:56 pm 

Didn't the paramedics give her epinephrine? Was that also because it was not anaphylaxis? (Sorry, my sarcasm might be coming on a bit strong today. It's the end of a rotten week.)

gwentheeditor wrote:
, but we've also found leading allergy experts who caution that it may be difficult to be definitive about the precise cause of Christina's death. These experts say that because asthma can also be a part of anaphylaxis, it can be very difficult to rule out anaphylaxis all together.

Gwen, I would think in Christina's case part of a proper coroner's report would include the care in ambulance and hospital that she received, wouldn't it?

Also, wouldn't the coroner test her blood for histamine levels? Last year my sister questioned the coroner about our brother's death as she thought it might have been anaphylaxis. He said he couldn't rule it out from the examination he had performed. When I asked someone else what tests could be done, I was told they would check his histamine levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:45 am 

The only name that comes close is Association québécoise des allergies alimentaires. Translated into English, it would be Quebec Association of Food Allergies. Perhaps they were referring to this? It's all a mystery to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:49 am 

Well, one good thing about this news report, is that it may lessen the guilt of the boyfriend. I'm sure it has been very traumatic for him. This may make him feel less responsible, and since he has his own food allergies apparently, lessen his own fears that would have likely been heightened by this. I feel really bad for him.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Re the epinephrine, paramedics, etc. AM, you're right that that would all come out in a coroner's report.

Also true that there are specific tests (e.g. tryptase) that can be done. So were they? Hope so, but who knows.

It is nice to think that the poor boyfriend may feel better about this news. The not-so good news is that the way this story emerged with so little detail, the media throughout Canada, the U.S. and the world are now questioning whether an allergic kiss can kill (though perhaps it didn't in this instance). I heard of one reporter asking questions about "an urban myth". When incomplete findings come out, you get incomplete, misleading reporting.

Just wish the coroner had given out his report if he was going to speak. /G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:58 am 

Not sure if CNN interviewed the coroner or got more details from somewhere else, but they seem to have additional info here. (Not that it makes a lot of sense, mind you...)

----------------------------------------------------

Coroner: Lack of oxygen, not peanut-butter kiss, killed girl

MONTREAL, Quebec (AP) -- A teenager with a peanut allergy did not die from kissing her boyfriend following his peanut-butter snack, but from a lack of oxygen to her brain, a Quebec coroner said Monday.

Coroner Michel Miron declined to disclose the exact cause of death because he has yet to submit his final report to the provincial coroner's office, but he told The Associated Press he hoped to end the "phobia" provoked by the case, which drew global media coverage.

Christina Desforges, 15, died in a Quebec hospital in November. Officials at the time had said that doctors were unable to treat her allergic reaction to a peanut-laced kiss from her boyfriend the previous weekend.

Allergists described the case as being rare and worrisome.

"Elements of the investigation tell us peanut butter was not responsible," Miron told the AP. Miron said clinical indicators have eliminated peanut as the cause for her death and said it appeared the girl suffered from "cerebral anoxia," or lack of oxygen to the brain, which caused serious damage.

Full story at http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/03/06/peanut.kiss.ap/index.html.

----------------------------------------------------

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:36 pm 

Quote:
"cerebral anoxia," or lack of oxygen to the brain, which caused serious damage.

What he needs to disclose in the cause of the lack of oxygen. Anaphylaxis can cause it - but so can a lot of other things. Most of those other things can be easily ruled out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:40 pm 

the whole story sounds a little "fishy" based on the way it was handled. The coroner had told the girl's family that they would be notified if he finds anything... well, they learned it with their morning paper at the same time as I did!!!!! Being in Saguenay on Friday morning, that is almost all I was hearing! Some of my friends did bring up the story in a conversation this weekend as we were in the area, and I was just so frustrated I told them that probably the coroner would come up with some way to go around anaphylaxis and say she died from some lack of oxygen to the brain... guess what I read last night! :evil:

Journalists (and many other poeple!!!!) now question how we could think it would take soo little to kill someone! Well, I'll be first in line to read that report when it comes out! It will probably sound like the doctor I saw for a reaction a couple of years ago: "there is definate swelling and breathing problems...but it's not anaphylaxis, that one piece (can't remember the name...) is not swollen!" Well, he never wanted to write down the cause of the swelling nor do tests to see if it was an actual reaction as the symptoms were not all according to his book! :evil:

Ok, gotta stop here if I want to stay polite :? ... but good thing I didn't cross that coroner on the street this weekend, he would have heard my opinion!!!!

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:11 pm 

There's gotta be *some* better reason why the coroner doesn't think that she died of anaphylaxis. Death by asphyxiation sort of corroborates the asthma theory....and "asthma" could in fact be caused by anaphylaxis. I would hate to think that a coroner would come out with news to 'correct misperceptions' without knowing very much about anaphylaxis. I'm betting there's more to the story here...but who knows. I guess we'll have to wait to get the AL magazine story on this one!

Quote:
[from the article]: People thought the girl had not used her Epipen [Adrenalin shot] properly and families were panicking because they thought it wouldn't always work," he said, insisting that the drug's effectiveness was never in doubt.

This is misinformation. The epi *is* effective in reversing the vast majority of cases of anaphylaxis, but sometimes more than one shot is required and there is evidence that sometimes epinephrine cannot reverse the reaction....but this happens very very rarely.[/b] Seems to me that the coroner's attempt to correct misconceptions has backfired.....these news reports spread misinformation. If someone can go into anaphylaxis because of a kiss (which they certainly can) I don't understand why the coroner would be so quick to go to the media...