You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:27 am 

Quote:
recent study sought to determine which device, Epi-Pen or Auvi-Q, is preferred by people who need to carry an epinephrine auto-injector for the treatment of anaphylaxis. Nearly 700 people of various ages and backgrounds participated in the study, published in 2013. Participants were given a scenario in which they pretended to be experiencing anaphylaxis that would require the use of an epinephrine auto-injector. They were then given a training version of each device (that did not contain a needle or actual epinephrine) and asked to figure out how to use the device. After the scenario was complete, the participants were asked about their preference of one device versus the other.

Surprisingly, the Auvi-Q was preferred, nearly 4 to 1, over the Epi-Pen in nearly every aspect of the comparison. These preferences included the method of instruction, preference of which device to carry, and the size and shape of the device. Participants also found the Auvi-Q much easier to use, easier to carry, easier to follow the instructions, and was preferred overall when compared to the Epi-Pen. Most importantly, participants were more often able to use the Auvi-Q correctly (81%) compared to the Epi-Pen (61%).

http://allergies.about.com/od/anaphylax ... ylaxis.htm

Study:
http://allergies.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... 6/abstract

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Thank you for sharing.
I think it's great that we have options. I loved how the epipen made it easy to recognise the elementary/preschool aged child and that so many products are available to personalize the carrier.
As the individual gets older and tries to assimilate with their age group, the risk of forgetting to carry it is very real. Too many lives have been lost because of this.
The shape and size of the Allerject devise makes it easier for individuals to inconspicuously carry and stay safe.

Quote:
...participants were more often able to use the Auvi-Q correctly (81%) compared to the Epi-Pen (61%).

This surprised me!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm 

As an adult who must carry epinephrine I now carry 2 Allerjects (Auvi-Qs) instead of 2 EpiPens. Because I frequently move around the building at my workplace I carry a small purse and the 2 Allerjects fit in easily - I would not be able to carry 2 EpiPens in the small purse.

My teenager has also switched to 2 Allerjects for the same reason.

Having said that, we do have EpiPens at home as well. For an overseas flight we had to buy extra epinephrine (took both Allerjects and EpiPens) so we have more epis than usual right now since none were used on the trip :banana

Hopefully the EpiPen manufacturers will provide another compact alternative for us :goodidea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 pm 

When the Allerjects came available I trained several coworkers on it and the EpiPen and every single one of them preferred the Allerject, which is why I carry two of them with me at work (plus two extra EpiPens in my backpack.)

However, at Girl GUides, where we see EpiPens almost exclusively with the kids, my fellow Guiders prefer EpiPens because it's the same for everyone.

Thus, I have both available at all times (2 EpiPens + 2 Allerject) because it could very likely be someone else administering it and I want them to have the device they are most comfortable with available to them. It's also convenient when I travel as I then have extra doses already at hand for long flights or places with longer ambulance response times.