* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:14 pm 

Enzyme offers clue to peanut fatalities

CAROLYN ABRAHAM
MEDICAL REPORTER
Globe & Mail (Feb. 28/06)

Toronto researchers have found a clue in the blood of people killed by peanut allergies that could help identify those most at risk of a fatal reaction.

There is no way yet to know when peanut allergies, which have doubled in industrialized countries in the past decade, will trigger a mild reaction such as hives, or the life-threatening anaphylactic shock.

"We haven't been able to stratify kids in terms of their risks," said Peter Vadas, director of allergy and clinical immunology at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto.

"We have to take everybody and treat them the same way. . . . We have to tell them to remove all nuts from their home, all traces of it, keep EpiPens [emergency epinephrine injectors] everywhere.

"That might not be necessary for everyone, but you can't tell anyone to let down their guard, and God forbid they have a severe reaction." ....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the ful story, go to http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060228.PEANUT28/TPStory/?query=

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:57 pm 

When I was flicking through the news stations today, I happened to catch Dr. Susan Waserman being interviewed about this. (Channel 26 in Toronto) The reporter mentioned that his child is pa.

I was quite impressed with Dr. Waserman. I've been impressed with articles that have quoted her, but it was nice to see her and hear her speak so well.

I would really like to know if she lived in Willowdale as a child. I had a friend named Susan Waserman when I was a kid whose dad was a doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:19 pm 

Dr. Waserman is our son's allergist, and she is wonderful. We just saw her last week - I could have asked her about where she grew up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:03 am 

I like reading articles where Dr. Peter Vadas is quoted, too---he has said that nuts should not be served on airplanes and also (in this article) that people should remove all nuts--all traces even--from their homes. Sometimes it is difficult for people to get the nut-eating people in their family to get rid of nuts in the home, and having a doctor say this publicly is certainly a big help.