Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Has anyone here experienced this?
Fortunately, a minority of kids, but still daunting to think there might be a different but difficult form of allergy to contend with. Thoughts on?

http://allergicliving.com/2014/03/18/th ... -risk-eoe/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:18 pm 

Yes, we were doing a daily dose of baked milk. My son started getting food stuck a few times a month, and I read about EoE and just knew. It was confirmed on biopsy a few months later. Needless to say, we had to stop the baked milk. Even though he has been off it for 2 years, he still has EoE episodes occasionally but not as severe. He is on swallowed Pulmicort and is followed by the Alberta Children's Hosp GI clinic every 6 months.

Looking back though, we've had to tell him to "chew his food" his whole life. He would have multi-day episodes of vomiting when no one else in the house seemed to "catch it". He had reflux as an infant / toddler, and milk allergy was dx'ed at age 11 weeks. So looking back, he probably always had it.

I was devastated to have to stop the baked milk but with recent news about the lack of success of the trials long-term, I have come to terms with it.

So here we are. Age 14, he still has to carry an Epi for milk & tree nuts, and last year we added beef - but only exercise-induced. Very strange. He had 2 ana rxns last year, both 1-2 hours after eating beef and while he was playing baseball. He has always eaten beef with no problems. Allergist ordered up skin / IgE blood testing and voila - positive for beef. Pretty sure he has never had a tick bite but he is avoiding pork now before exercise just to be safe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:21 pm 

Duh ... just re-read the title of the post. Of course, he has never outgrown his food allergy, but was undergoing baked milk tx. Given the recent news about EoE being induced during immunotherapy that is what I was thinking about. Sorry for the irrelevant reply!