You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:46 pm 

Some excerpts from the article:

"Although the causal nature is still unclear, our overall results show that treatment with at least one antibiotic as an infant appears to be associated with the development of childhood asthma."

According to this idea, the body's immune system needs to be stimulated by bacteria and viruses. Without its usual enemies to deal with, the immune system starts attacking other matter, such as pollen, dust mites or even the person's own body.

"This theory has been developed because countries with high infectious disease rates have low allergy and asthma rates," Professor Helms said.

"Asthma and allergies may be the price we pay for increased childhood survival."

See: http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=379832006 for the full article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:14 pm 

I question whether antibiotocs are the cause (like the article implies), or whether babies who already genetically predisposed to developing asthma are catching more infections in their predisposed lungs, thus having them require more antibiotics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:35 pm 

I have always felt in my gut that there was a link between antibiotics and Aaron's development of LTA and asthma. He was always sick as a baby and my doctor prescribed antibiotics at least 8 times before he was one. I really wish I had done things differently with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:35 pm 

I suspect that there is a connection too (not in all cases, but I believe that antibiotics is one thing that can throw the immune system off). This is more related to food allergies....but people with food allergies are more likely to get asthma. Digestion does have something to do with food allergies and some researchers are beginning to look at the role of microflora in the gut (somehow this regulates the immune system response?). Antibiotics destroy the natural microflora.....if I ever have to be on antibiotics again I'll be sure to eat my yogurt and Kefir!

When I was a kid I was on a steady diet of antibiotics for recurring ear infections as well as for serious respiratory infections (for which I was hospitalized). In my case, the allergies and asthma *preceded* the antibiotics, but I wonder if they could have further screwed up my immune system. The one thing that is *not* controversial: one type of antibiotic messed up my teeth. I have very patchy and thin enamel--every time a new dental hygienist cleans my teeth she asks me about whether I was on antibiotics when I was little. (It was a particular type of antibiotics that caused the problem---they don't give that type to kids anymore.) My teeth weren't a pretty sight--my dentist coated them to protect them--they look a bit better than they would have otherwise. When I was 15 my dentist predicted that I'd have to have crowns on most of my teeth. He is amazed at how well my teeth have held out so far---there have been a few spots requiring dental work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:00 am 

That's what happened to Aaron too. He was prescribed the wrong type of antibiotic as a baby and when his teeth came in they were all mottled and yellow. It was my dentish who said that it was the antibiotics.

Luckily, when his permanent teeth came in they were OK.

I had allergies as a child, then they went away, but when I had my oldest son I had a huge infection and they gave me super-antibiotics, and about 6 months after that I started to develop allergies and eczema and I have had them ever since (14 years).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:22 pm 

On the other hand, my oldest had antibiotics up the wazoo when he was little (for ear infections), and has no asthma whatsoever, while my youngest has had antibiotics maybe once in his life, and has asthma! So it's obviously not a clearcut thing.

K.