You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Toronto Star May 4, 2006
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:11 am 

The Toronto Star will include a special section on Thursday May 4, 2006 on "Allergies and Asthma".

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:39 am 

thanks, julie. i'll look out for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:52 am 

For those who can't pick up a copy of the Toronto Star, you can access the stories online at http://www.thestar.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:27 am 

There are several articles in the section. Here are the links:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 6606639950

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 6606639933

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 6606639944

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 6606639941

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 6606639930

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 6606639922

Also here is the link to the TVO and Ministry of Education e-learning module dealing with anaphylactic shock. It is designed as an online learning tool for nurses, paramedics, parents and school personnel. It contains a lot of science and answers the many questions about anaphylaxis.

http://www.eworkshop.on.ca/allergies

Good stuff!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:06 am 

Those are good articles - lots of helpful info too.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:11 pm 

I was so happy to read about the difficulties of living with a soy allergy and to see that I'm not alone. So many people think that I shouldnt' be so picky given that it's 'just an allergy to soy' and must only mean that I can't have soy milk or soy sauce...

Bravo to the Star on this excellent section. The media has been really positive lately in its coverage of allergies and I do hope this continues

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:28 pm 

I was pleased to see this section on allergies as well.
a few questions: 1) in one of the articles Dr. Greenwald mentioned that all dust mite mattress and pillow coverings aren't made equal. How do we tell the dust-mite proof covers from those masquerading as dust-mite proof covers? There was a study done on this in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology but the results didn't really explain how to go about buying or finding these products.

2) I was intrigued by Mrs. Shannon's comment at the end of one of the articles about investigating how practises in the food industry contribute to allergies (I may be getting this wrong---can't find my copy of the article at the moment...I hope I haven't accidentally recycled it!) I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

One other comment: I could really relate to what that one young man was saying about unconsciously keeping track of things that most people wouldn't think of when around food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:37 pm 

TMcG wrote:
So many people think that I shouldnt' be so picky given that it's 'just an allergy to soy' and must only mean that I can't have soy milk or soy sauce...

I know, people don't seem to get the cross-contamination thing sometimes, or that soy is an additive used in a million things. Like in a follow-up written to The Star, a husband was saying how restrictive his wife's diet has to be since she has been diagnosed with a soy allergy. To add insult to injury, she couldn't even read the newspaper article since the newspaper uses soy-based ink!!

I feel for you, I know it's hard to make people understand. My daughter's friend, an honour roll student, doesn't understand why daughter (peanut allergic) can't eat just anything, since she has her epi-pen anyway!!! If only it was that simple...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:17 pm 

We bought a dust mite proof mattress cover last year for our daughter. There were several companies that had covers on display at the AllergyExpo. We bought the Zip and Block cover made by Quorum Pharmaceuticals. It is available at Sears and at some Shoppers Home Health stores. It was expensive - about $100 (I think) for a double. Some covers claim to be a barrier for dust mites but do not encase the whole mattress. The Zip and Block encases the mattress and has binding on inside seams for extra protection. It has a lifetime warranty. They have a website: www.zipandblock.com

One article mentioned that 4 - 10 year old could have seasonal allergy shots. We are going to ask our allergist about this. Right now our daughter is suffering with her allergies even with OTC meds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:19 pm 

katec, thanks for the info. that mattress cover you bought sounds like a sure thing. I kind of wish I had asked about this before going out and buying one myself (I was using a vinyl cover...but it was uncomfortable to sleep on and ripped after I washed it so I thought I'd get one made from a softer material). I'll try to remember to post the brand that I bought when I locate the package (which I saved somewhere)...I had gone to the Bay and they had absolutely nothing. So I went to Zellers....and they had one type made of polypropylene (sp.? or something like that?). I think it was around 40$ but it didn't have any indication that it was doctor recommended. I considered waiting to buy it and doing some more research....but I spent so long running around trying to find the darn thing and it seemed to be the only one available that I just went ahead and bought it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:15 pm 

Someone on this thread mentioned that the Toronto Star uses soy in their printing ink. I just heard back from my local newspaper (The Montreal Gazette) and they use soy in their printing ink.

Guess who's switching to the digital edition!! Better for the environment too!