You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I am ready.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:14 pm 

I am ready to help to bring Sabrina's Law to British Columbia.

I am ready because I listened to Sabrina yesterday in her radio show and sobbed because I knew that they had done all the right things and she died anyway. Although my son is younger, I heard his voice as well.

I am ready because, although my son's school follows the general policy put forward by the board, it is not strong enough.

I am ready because I am worried every single day. My son eats his lunch in his classroom where other kids eat their peanut butter sandwiches in the same unsupervised room. Cleaning up a 'peanut zone' afterwards is so much more dangerous than just not bringing it in at all. WHY CAN'T WE TELL PARENTS TO NOT BRING IN AN ALLERGEN INTO THE CLASSROOM? If we don't ask for this specifically -- and 'limit' doesn't count -- they won't know why even with letters of explanation going home. AND WHY IS NO ONE SUPERVISING THESE 8 YEAR OLDS? Are we that miserly with education funds that we leave our kids alone during this time? How on earth can this be considered ok in a policy when there is an anaphylactic child in the classroom??

I am ready because I want other children to be protected and parents to feel heard and action to be taken.

I am ready because I see that other allergies are addressed in Sabrina's Law and it is thoughtful, strong and protective -- which is how we should all be with our children.

I am ready because I don't want a child to die because I didn't act.

Where do I sign up in BC? What can I do? Please send me a message or post here. I have been in considerable contact with the associate superintendent of our local school district, but that is no longer enough. I am ready to lobby to make a change and protect our children,and I am committed to working to see that it gets done soon.

Caroline

Post subject: Re: I am ready.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:48 pm 

Caroline2 wrote:
I am ready because I am worried every single day. My son eats his lunch in his classroom where other kids eat their peanut butter sandwiches in the same unsupervised room. Cleaning up a 'peanut zone' afterwards is so much more dangerous than just not bringing it in at all. WHY CAN'T WE TELL PARENTS TO NOT BRING IN AN ALLERGEN INTO THE CLASSROOM?....AND WHY IS NO ONE SUPERVISING THESE 8 YEAR OLDS? Are we that miserly with education funds that we leave our kids alone during this time? How on earth can this be considered ok in a policy when there is an anaphylactic child in the classroom??

Caroline -- kudos to you! I wish you all the luck and support possible to achieve this in BC! You are completely justified (in my opinion) to be outraged that your child has to be put at risk in this way. This isn't just a matter of inconvenience or dollars - this is a matter of life and death for some children. Perhaps this website's resources http://aaia.ca/ENGLISH/Main_Pages/Resources.htm and more specifically this pamphlet on peanut allergy from the AAIA http://aaia.ca/ENGLISH/Articles/PDF/AAI ... ure2pg.pdf will help communicate the importance of at least a peanut-free (or "allergy aware") classroom for your child. The pamphlet states that it only takes 1 / 7 000 to 1 / 70 000 of ONE PEANUT to cause a reaction in some children (along with some other very important facts). I believe that Pamela Lee (who has also posted on this forum) is lobbying for change in BC http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... 1&start=30 - she's asked that others contact her. Best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:44 pm 

Caroline2, I think your school needs a reality check. I have heard so many stories of unsafe schools and adults who just don't get it. Tried last year to advocate for better laws and safety for allergic kids here. I wrote the ministers of education and health as well as my local member of parliment. They all had their heads in the sand and were like "when you start school and when we put your child in extreme danger (which we will) and when we destroy her self esteem by rewarding with food in class and making her excluded everyday...then take matters to your school board." Absolutely no one seemed concerned at all. It made me feel that our school system was being run by uncaring individuals who do not value a childs feelings, safety or level of anxiety while attending school and trying to learn. I wanted no part of it. So we are homeschooling (happily) but still wanting to be invloved in making it better for others. It just has to far to go here (saskatchewan) to risk my kids life and self esteem while they "get their priorities straight".

NO...I am not saying you should homeschool. My point is...that I am more familiar with school, homeschool, truency laws than I was 6 months ago. Perhaps, if someone felt really brave they could be "truent" (not in school, not registered as a homeschooler). They would be breaking the law and their children would be legally forced to go to school. But...how do you force someone to put their kids in an unsafe environment? You can't. The school would have no legal position to force your child into an unsafe situation. They can not legally deny your child an education either. Would they not be forced to bring the school up to an appropriate level of safety?

Maybe keeping ones child home truent (with the school board knowing that your child is absent because it is not safe and your child is NOT homeschooling), and involving your member of parliment would give that child legal rights to a safe environment in a province without a "sabrinas law". From my understanding "sabrinas law" in another province would take a long time to get in place and be implemented. It of course is still well worth it...but allergic kids need to be safe NOW.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

All Canadian children shoud be afforded the same protection.
Why are the provincial governments dragging their heels?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Last edited by _Susan_ on Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:07 pm 

To be honest Susan...I think it is that they do not want to be held liable.

That was the impression I got from my provincial education minister. That they think everything is fine and problems can be worked on as they arrise. BUT the parents in the meantime are being asked to put the kids in less than safe surroundings. And when you do fight to make things safe there is a MAJOR resentment from others who feel they are entitled to things like sending birthday cupcakes to school :roll: .
It really is frustrating to see the general lack of concern here.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:57 pm 

I am still ready! And thanks to all of you, I know I will join the team to get this to BC.

Please check out the other board on schools for the reply I got when I questioned the lack of adult supervision. See if it makes any sense to you. I am so close to losing it and just getting a lawyer, but I don't want to seem to insane. . . or do I ?

more soon,
AND THANK YOU!
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Can you contact the newspapers?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:16 am 

Caroline,