You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:58 pm 

We have a very strong teachers' union here in BC -- I cannot say for sure if they would agree to the legislation BUT I do know that they have hardly been asked.

There are a couple of teachers in our group, one who is very strong in her local union. She is taking it up with the union to see what they think. Personally, I don't know why they *wouldn't* want more standardized support for kids with allergies in their classroom. So here's hoping she will make great progress and so we can go to the government to say that vetting this through the teachers' union is not an issue.

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

I don't get the sense this is about resistance from teachers - more that the gov't thinks that policy is enough. But I'll let Pam or Caroline answer - perhaps they've heard more on the ground.

It would be fantastic, Katec, if you and a few other teachers were to write as teachers.

I think people are always worrying about liability with EpiPens (which teachers are protected from under this law, just as they are in Sabrina's Law). What they don't stop to think about is that, if faced with such an emergency, there's no way any teacher is going to want to be standing there thinking: 'gosh, I wish I'd taken that optional auto-injector refresher course..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 am 

David Cubberley (he's the Opposition MLA who introduced this Bill) has received over 400 messages of support!! His assistant is amazed that the Bill is attracting this kind of support. I am sure Shirley Bond and Gordon Campbell have recieved many more than that.

Shirley Bond is still holding on to the idea of a task force, rather than Legislation. I think if we can continue to put pressure on them like this they will have to agree to Legislation.

I have learned so much about politics in this last month...mostly that I can never be a politician!!

The 2nd reading will not be before May 7, so we have lots of time to get those letters in.

Thank you all for all the work everyone has done to help. (don't stop yet :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:32 pm 

Just to follow up a bit. . . one of our group spoke with Mr Cubberley's assistant yesterday and he said the bill will definitely not be read (if it is at all) until May 7 or May 28th but they hope the 7th. He confirmed he will let us know as soon as he knows so we will not be surprised.

He also said he has had discussions with Sara Shannon and the National Film Board is going to be interviewing David Cubberly and that Brian's office is going to work on media for Sara's visit in Victoria - great for us!!! He will help with media in Victoria. We will need to organize our own for Vancouver.

As mentioned by Pam, Cubberley's office has received over 400 emails/faxes on the Bill - he said it is quite astounding and that is is highly likely that the Liberal offices (MLA's and Shirley Bond) have received more. He also said he strongly believe this bill will not go through but that the pressure we are putting on is mounting and should put the Liberals in action for their own bill.... That is his thoughts anyhow.

Not so bad, eh?! We have come so far in such a short time. Tis hard to always be optimistic, but I have to say I am grateful.

Caroline2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:42 pm 

Thanks for the update, ladies. I'm kind of sad that he thinks it won't pass. I get so hopeful sometimes!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

First - a round of applause for all who sent letters - thank you because
400 is really good.

Pls. if you haven't written yet, read the previous instructions in the thread and keep those e-mails coming!

Don't anybody get down (I'm from the 'it's-not-over-till-it's-over school). If the Libs. go for their own bill, that would just be the political way things get done.

Let me don my former National Editor's hat - it would be unusual for a governing party to get behind an opposition private member's bill. It would, though, not be uncommon for a gov't to co-opt a bill, change a few lines and introduce it as their own. That would still be good - as long as they actually do it - and soon.

Just reinforces the need to keep the pressure on.

And Pam, you're so right - doing this kind of lobbying can be like taking an advanced course in Canadian politics. Wait till you get to Question Period 202..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:24 am 

Gwen, you are so right...on the 28th of Mrch, we got to stay for question period and my 2 kids were there, and I think they were shocked at the behavior! It was very strange...it made me realize that yes, we are close ascendants of the apes! I think it would be very hard to be a female minister, they can't quite get into the desk pounding, catcallingness of it all and they look extremely uncomfortable.

I guess it is kind of theatre, although I don't kow for whose benefit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:46 am 

Yeah, we saw a bit of that in the Ontario legislature when Bill 3 was passed. Mr. Levac was kind enough to warn us ahead of time that there would be ``some silliness`` going on. I really cannot understand why it is like that. These are people who are, for all intents and purposes, running a province.

I wonder why they think that this kind of behaviour is desirable or effective... It really does boggle my mind. If I behaved like that at work I would be out of a job. If my kids behaved like that at the dinner table they would be in their rooms faster than they could think. If anyone I knew behaved like that in front of me, I would stop associating with them....

Okay, rant off. LOL.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:13 pm 

We just got this FABULOUS update from Anaphylaxis Canada! They are AMAZING!!
Caroline :D :D :D

Just wanted to give you all a quick update on some of the progress we've made this week on advocating for Bill 210.

The two key initiatives that we were able to accomplish this week are:

* A letter of support was drafted and approved by the CSACI and is being couriered to BC tomorrow for Brian to distributed to all MLAs in BC. This letter was signed off by the President and past president of the CSACI and is under the letter head of AC, AAIA, CSACI, AQAA and CAAIF. It's a great show of support!
* Liberal MP Dave Levac (the politician responsible for Sabrina's Law in Ontario) drafted a letter of support for B210 and is sending it to all MLAs in BC.

Both letters should be in the hands of the MLAs by early next week.