You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:06 am 

If you can come to Victoria to the Legislature on Monday, May 7th at 10am, we really need you! If you know anyone you could send on your behalf, that is also very, very good. We need a real show of support. Also, please contact your local media and ask if they are doing anything about our story...press releases have been sent all over Canada, so if you haven't seen a story about it in your paper, ask them why, and encourage them to cover our story on Monday, May 7th. Sarah Shannon and Mike Shannon will both be attending this important event. It is very newsworthy...

We have more support than we thought possible, and have to be a little discreet at this point, but it is looking very promising!

Please continue to gather support and send e-mails to the Government. They are still not budging!

I am sorry we can't tell you more at this point, but as soon as we get home on Monday, we will post here so we can tell all the details....

If you do not live in BC, please contact our government, but also contact your own and get the ball rolling in your own Province, if we all band together we can make a difference for ALL the kids...let's work together to get consistant legislation across Canada.

I was told that David Cubberley's office received over 600 e-mails, that means the Ministry of Education would have received many more (I asked them how many but they haven't responded). They are blown away that we have been able to generate this kind of support in a month...let's take the energy that is building now and spread it across the country...

The Ministry of Education is gearing up to kill the bill (in my opinion), but let's not let it go without a fight...BC can be a pivotal province...if we follow Ontario's example rather than Alberta's, it will be easier for the next province to go for legislation.

Most of the groups that we have contacted seem to be supportive, but there is a process of meetings they must go through in order to formally support us, and so the fact that this has happened so quickly has worked against us, as we haven't had a lot of time to line up support. Don't let that happen to you in your province. Start working now on getting support from groups such as school trustees, PAC's, etc. at the Provincial level.

We have been keeping notes as we go through this process to create a template that other groups can work from so others don't have to start from scratch. If you have a group of 3 or 4 who work well together, you could start as we have done and really make a difference. Most of us are doing this as we work full-time and deal with baseball season and all the other stuff that we do, so it hasn't even taken that much time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:41 am 

Thanks Pam for the great update!! Here is my latest email to our 80 (!!!) BC members Caroline

Quote:
Hi Everyone --

Excitement is building! Monday's rally/press conference for Bill M 210 Anaphylactic Student Protection Act is now on the front steps of the Legislature between 10 and 11 am. MLA David Cubberley will be leading the press conference with a number of different supporters in attendance. We hope that YOU and your family and friends -- we need a large number of people ! -- will be in our crowd. So please bring your 'Protect Allergic Children Today' and 'Support M 210' signs down and let's show the world how much we need legislation to protect students with life-threatening allergies.

Thank you to all those who have responded that you will be joining us on Monday. Note that if you have any questions and/or recently found out you are able to attend the rally, it would be great if you would send me an email. And we know that the spirit of those who can't be there on Monday will carry us -- we understand just how much everyone wants this legislation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Tracy Zeisberger, who's handling the publicity for PACT (Protect Allergic Children Today), says this morning's rally/press conference was a great success. David Cubberley, Sara Shannon, Mike Shannon, the head of the paramedics and the local president of CUPE all spoke and were excellent.

About 40 parents and kids turned up at the Legislature, there were lots of placards and tons of media. Our forum's very own Pam Lee was on a big radio show this morning with B.J. Chute, the head of the paramedics. I'll try to find the link.

Congrats to the women of PACT for pulling together such a strong showing.

Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

OK, so you can hear Sara Shannon, Pam Lee and B.J. Chute (head of the B.C. paramedics) at length on the Bill Good show out of Vancouver. (The show is there, they were in studio in Victoria.)

Simply go to: www.cknw.com You have to register to listen. If you do, you can then go to 9 a.m., which is when the show started.

Slight warning - Sara gives the full story of what happened to Sabrina off the top. She tells it well, and certainly makes the point about the realities of the risk.

Our Pam is great, and answers listeners questions like a radio pro. B.J. was good, too. Just wonderful exposure for the issue.

Post subject: Watch your media BC
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:44 pm 

Yes we had some great media coverage today and it is growing all of the time (my phone and email have been BUSY today). Can everyone please listen, watch and read their local media in BC and report back to this site anything they hear or read. We want to try and monitor any coverage. everyone's help is appreciated.

We are expecting coverage by the following:
CBC Radio
Global TV – Vancouver & Victoria
Victoria News Group
A Channel Victoria
CH News Victoria
Times Colonist
The Now Newspaper - Surrey
Vancouver Sun
CKNW Radio Vancouver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:26 pm 

Well done, you guys! I'm so proud of you! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:10 pm 

Wow. Just wow.

It's a little hard to relay how incredible it was at the BC Legislature today. So many people came together to help protect our BC kids -- it was all very moving,

We had about 30 or so parents from our PACT group plus about 10 kids and a whole lot of signs and banners. Tracy did just an awesome job letting the media know about the speakers we had lined up. And, boy, did the speakers do a great job.

As mentioned before, we had BJ Chute of the BC Ambulance Paramedics speak, as well as the CUPE union leader. Mr Chute was really good and showed an EpiPen trainer and emphasized the need for immediate treatment. The CUPE leader -- well, he was a great speaker and said how important to protect kids with allergies in our schools. He also added that this is not a union issue per se but having this legislation in place is an obvious need that the union would completely support. The chairman of the Victoria Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils was also there, representing the parent population that also wants to see this legislation come through 'even though' Victoria area schools have an extensive policy in place. MLA David Cubberley reiterated how he wants this non-partisan bill to be picked up by the government and made into law.

And, of course, no amount of words can reveal how appreciative our group is to Sara Shannon for coming to Victoria. Her presence was huge, and she speaks so well. Mike Shannon was there as well, and boy they have a powerful impact.

With all the press that was there, and the amount of time they spent with us, I hope that our story is all over the tv news today and print tomorrow. I understand there might even be a photo that goes into the Allergic Living magazine!

But our day was not over....Many of our group also attended the legislative session in the afternoon. There we were introduced by David Cubberley. He read the following statement:
Quote:
ANAPHYLAXIS PREVENTION

D. Cubberley: Every day in British Columbia some of our kids walk a precarious line between being safe and suddenly being caught in the deadly grip of an extreme allergic reaction.

Imagine for a moment what that would be like — a potentially lethal reaction to even passing contact with things so common that they're in every lunchbox and school cafeteria. Imagine being the parent of a child so vulnerable that moments after contact with an allergen, its life could come to an end. Surely we can grasp their apprehension and how it inspires advocacy for action to prevent contact and prepare for intervention.

Tragically, here in the capital region we recently lost 13-year-old Carley Kohnen, who unwittingly ate contaminated food. Like Sabrina Shannon, she did her part: she asked about the food, but the answer she got wasn't accurate. Sadly, she didn't have her EpiPen along when the reaction set it.

Anaphylaxis strikes fast. For the responsible adult confronted with it, there's just no time to get on a learning curve. Understanding the vulnerability, recognising the signs and above all knowing how to use an epinephrine injector — those are essential to protect these vulnerable kids.

There are 13,000 children in B.C. schools susceptible to extreme allergic reaction. If anaphylaxis strikes, the teacher needs to know exactly where the EpiPen is, how to use it and what to do next. We can't entirely eliminate the risks, but we can minimize them, and we can ensure that every school community knows the stakes and has the drill down pat. Leaving it to chance is not the answer.

Anaphylactic families are trying to get our attention. They face a threat to their kids' safety that calls for a comprehensive response. Their message to us is clear. It's time to act now, B.C. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

OH! Laurie Harada of Anaphylaxis Canada came as well!! AND TOMORROW Sara Shannon and Laurie will be meeting with Shirley Bond, the Minister of Education. So everyone cross your fingers and hope that we get what we want: Legislation! And if anyone can get it in, it is those two! :wink:

WHAT a day! Thanks for all your support everyone -- both at the Leg and here online.

Caroline
ps I just had a chance to listen to the radio show. Powerful stuff there as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:40 pm 

Thanks for all the updates -- you guys are working so hard and doing amazing! Let's hope we get what we want! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:21 pm 

I finally managed to hear the interview with Sara Shannon (the rest haven't come on yet - there are lots of ads).

I have heard this story before from Sara, but I have to tell you, it's broken my heart all over again. I keep imagining myself going through the scenario she describes with one of my children, and I am in tears. It should not happen, ever. As Dr. Susan Waserman said in an interview with The Toronto Star recently, all deaths from anaphylaxis are preventable.

If you are ever in need of motivation to keep going with whatever fight you are fighting with regards to anaphylaxis, listen to this interview. It is the most motivating thing I know of.

My thanks to Sara (yet again) for all that she has done to honour her promise to her daughter to try to make sure that no other family goes through what she and her family have gone through.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Reminder that you can hear Sara again today on CBC Radio One's B.C. Almanac. I believe she's on with either Pam Lee or Tracy Z.

Starts at 1 p.m. Pacific (3 hrs. behind Ontario). Tracy or Caroline - if the time has changed, please post updated info.

Go here to listen: http://www.cbc.ca/listen/index.html#

Pick Vancouver.

You'll need a Windows Media Player to listen. There's a download if you haven't already got one installed.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]