You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Caroline,

All the best with it - and we'll all be thinking of you, sending positive karma.

Could you or Nancy give Claire Gagné in AL's office a call tomorrow after the introduction of the bill? We want to do a news item. Our toll-free is 1-888-771-7747.

thanks, Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:30 pm 

Thank you so very much for the good karma -- everything is happening so fast, but it is all exciting! I will be sure to call and of course to give a forum an update just as soon as I can after the visit to the Legislature.

If you are interested you can watch a live feed of what is happening in the House tomorrow. Go to http://www.leg.bc.ca/hansard/8-8.htm on the date and click "House Live Video". The House sits from 1:30 PST and we are expected to be one of the first items on the agenda. (I believe the video is available afterwards -- simply go to March 28th and click video.)

We are so excited here in BC. This bill is being presented as a non-partisan way so there is hope that it will move forward after tomorrow. YEAH!!

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:38 pm 

Here's what Shane Simpson, MLA for Hastings-Sunrise Vancouver, said today in his legislative comment:

S. Simpson: I'm pleased to stand in the House today concerning an issue that impacts parents and children in all of our constituencies. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
[1345]
Anaphylaxis is a severe systemic allergic reaction to a range of products such as peanuts and milk. The results of this reaction can prove fatal in its most severe instances. Approximately 2 percent of B.C. children suffer from this condition, and sadly, that number is growing. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
While there is no cure for anaphylaxis, there are preventative measures and tools that can help ensure that accidents don't occur. These include, for example, making the EpiPen, a device that administers adrenalin, which will halt an allergic reaction, more available and providing improved training for school staff in how to both recognize an anaphylactic attack and deal with it quickly and effectively. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
There is also a legislative option. In 2005 Ontario adopted Sabrina's law, named after a young girl, Sabrina Shannon, who died at the age of 13 after eating french fries that were accidentally cross-contaminated with cheese in a school kitchen. Sabrina's law does not call for the banning of products in schools. Rather, it is a more balanced approach that requires school boards to ensure that there are individual school-based plans for each student suffering from anaphylaxis, as well as policies to reduce exposure to causative agents. It calls for communications and public awareness strategies on its risks and provides for training on how to deal effectively with accidents as well as supplying EpiPens to all schools. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
Sabrina's law is an example of a positive response to anaphylaxis that is about inclusiveness rather than exclusion. It strives to provide a preventative and precautionary approach that identifies risk for impacted students and offers strategies to minimize those risks. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]
Tomorrow my colleague the member for Saanich South will be introducing the anaphylactic student protection act. I hope all members can support this non-partisan effort to adopt legislation on this critical matter to help ensure that we never have to hear about another unnecessary and preventable tragedy due to this condition. [DRAFT TRANSCRIPT ONLY]

Shane's e-mail is: shane.simpson.mla@leg.bc.ca if you would like to comment on his address. The more positive comments he hears, the better the chance at a second reading of the bill that is being introduced tomorrow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:54 pm 

I wept with appreciation when I read this, for he really 'gets' it. Thanks, Pam, for all of your discussions with him -- you have made such a difference for our kids, I just know it.

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:26 pm 

For what it's worth (seeing that I'm in Ontario), I sent him an appreciative email. If nothing else, he'lll know that he's impacting more than just the families living with food allergies in BC! You guys are in my thoughts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:37 am 
Site Admin

Yep, just sent him an e-mail thanking him for working at bringing us one step closer to universal protecion for all Canadian children!
Fingers crossed... :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Just curious...does anyone know how it went?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:48 am 

It was pretty amazing and I am going to have to digest things a bit and send in a proper reply tomorrow. The gist of things from my point of view is that even though this is a private member's bill (and therefore non-partisan) because it was put forward by the Opposition side, we need to get the party in power on board so they will support it. Today was a wonderful step in the right direction -- and it is such simple legislation, really, that it is brilliant -- but I don't think we have buy-in from the people who could turn this in to law. We will keep at it, though, because it is is so important we get that second reading. . . and third reading!
Caroline
ps it was so awesome to be together as a group and meet some of the kids we are protecting. They all did sooooo well today, even with the media there at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:57 am 

Hi all!

We had a great, exhilarating, exhausting day. LV (fellow-mom/great friend) came to my house at 5:00am. Me and my 2 boys drove with her to the Ferries. We got to Victoria at 9:00ish.

17 of us attended the legislature today to see the first reading of Bill M-2**. It is a Non-Partisan bill. (I think) that means that it was put forth by the Opposition (NDP) and that it is a Private Member's Bill.

There were representatives from Kelowna, Burnaby, Vancouver, Shawnigan Lake and Victoria. It would be too long to put all the names, but notably, Mike Shannon, Sabrina's dad, was in attendance and expressed how happy he was that a Bill was being put forth. Yvonne Rousseau, of AAIA, flew in for the day from Kelowna. She has been working on this for 15 years. The number of people who managed to attend was awesome, considering that we all make it on less than 2 days notice. As many people as possible need to be at the legislature for the 2nd reading. Please start thinking about how you could arrange to be there now, as there may not be notice that the 2nd reading is going to go forth.

We were brought to the Gallery, which overlooks the area where all the MLA's sit. We were searched, and were not allowed to talk, chew gum, take notes, pictures, etc.

Once the procedings wer underway, Shane Simpson introduced David Cubberly and David read out the Bill. The Bill was passed unanimously by the MLA's.

Then we went for a press conference and 3 TV stations interviewed us. That seemed to go well, but I have not seen any of the news on TV, the reporters were all very nice and concerned about life threatening allergies.

After that we were able to meet with a representative of the Ministry of Education. We met with her for about an hour and tried to express how we needed Sabrina's Law to be put in place as soon as possible. I think we did well. For a group that had never met before, we had a cohesive, strong message. She indicated that the Ministry of Education was considering following Alberta's lead in putting together a task force. That would be very unfortunate. As far as I am aware, the task force does not have the same level of expertise as the groups that were consulted when drafting Sabrina's Law, and task forces take a long time, with no guarantees of the outcome. Two weeks ago, Alberta was trying to put in place a law that would allow 12 year olds to work in bar-room kitchens, as there are not enough adults in the work force (or even 14 year olds, apparently!) to fill the positions. Is that the kind of model government we should be following here in BC? I don't think so. I say that with real regret as I grew up in Alberta and I love Alberta. I can only say that I am glad I grew up in Alberta in the 1970's and not now, otherwise I might have been working in a barroom kitchen myself - and we complain about children working in factories in India?!? Please understand, I am not slagging Alberta or Albertans. In fact, there was a huge public ourcry and the 12 year olds are still unemployed - at least by bars. But I don't feel that the Alberta government is showing that they looking after the best interest of children lately.

Ontario created a law that was the first of it's kind in the world. They paved the way for the rest of us. We need to make sure that the BC Ministry of Education gets a clear message that a task force is not an option, we will only settle for Sabrina's Law. Mike Shannon, Sabrina's father, lives in BC. So do Sabrina's grandparents. Sabrina spent a lot of time growing up in BC. It is right that we name this law to remember her here in BC, too.

Even though the Bill was passed unanimously, that does not mean that it's a done deal. I believe that the process is that now the Government in power (Liberals) must decide if they would like to take over the Bill. If they do, it is pretty certain that it will be passed in this session of the House (this Spring). If they do not, it will die in this session. It could be brought forth in the next session, but it would have to be read again 3 times in that session before it would be passed.

There is a huge momentuum behind us right now, and we cannot waste this opportunity. Please spend as much time as you can in the next couple of weeks getting the Liberal government on our side. Please contact your MLA and tell him/her how important this is to you. Please have everyone who loves your child do the same with their MLA's. Please go to the MLA website (google MLA BC it will take you right there and write to every MLA (go to "MLA finder", write your note in the "comment" box, then go down the list of MLA's, pressing "send" after each one, it will take you less then and hour and it will create a HUGE impact) and tell them your story and why Sabrina's Law will make a difference to your family. Have everyone you can think of do the same. Even if you are not from BC your voice will make a difference now.

If we can do this right now, we have a chance of getting Sabrina's Law passed by the end of spring. If we let the momentum die, and the government decides that a taskforce is more appropriate, we do not know what we will get and we do not know when we will get it.

And if we can get 2 provinces to have Sabrina's Law, it will be that much easier for the people in the other provinces to have the same thing happen there.

I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to hear David Cubberly read out the Bill today. It was beyond great! Thank you, David and Shane, for helping us. Words cannot express how full my heart is tonight!

Pamela Lee

(pass this message on to anyone you can think of who can help us!)
please forgive me if this is message is kind of all-over-the-place or if it doesn't make any sense at all. I am tired... but very happy :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:51 am 

I am still awake and typing....agggg

I realize I made a mistake in the above directions: When you go to the MLA website, on the left hand side there is a section "Members" click on that, then click on "Contact us" (not MLA finder, like I said above) and write your comment, press send, press "back, go down to the next MLA, press send, press back, go down to the next MLA, press send, press back, etc.

Here is a poem I sent them all in honor of today: Feel free to use it if it will help the cause.

AN ANAPHYLACTIC ALPHABET
Or
Six Hours at Toronto Airport with No Kids and a Pen
By
Pamela Lee
(amended by Pamela Lee and (blocked out to protect privacy) on March 28, 2007,
in honor of David Cubberly and Shane Simpson)

“A” is for Anaphylaxis
It’s hard to spell and say
It means life-threatening allergy
It affects us every day.

“B” is for the food bans
Not supported by us, you’ll see
We’re for education and awareness
It’s better for you and for me.

“C” is for communication
We need it right across the Nation
Posters, media, awareness for all
Help spread the message, join our call!

“D” is for our Hero Dave
Shane’s our Hero, too.
Our gratitude is heartfelt
We will vote for you!

“E” is for Epinephrine
It’s a drug that saves our lives
It stops life-threatening allergies
Swelling, shock and hives.

“F” is for Think Fast
It’s a poster you can get
Tell your friends to read it
It will help them when they need it.

“G” is for our Government
Thank Goodness we can vote
Now we’re going to contact you
By e-mail, phone and note.

“H” is for our hopes
We want safety for our kids
You can help us get that
If you do what the MP’s did.

“I” is for Immune System
Anaphylaxis means our’s is faulty
It reacts to things it shouldn’t
We really wish it wouldn’t.

“J” is for Just Right
It’s a theory of how we cope
We must confess, that under stress
Mental health’s a far off hope
Some people think we’re nutty, slightly crazed, and real uptight
But thanks to our new theory, we’ll say “For us, we are just right”.

“K” is for Kill
That’s what this disease can do
But if it’s properly managed
Deaths will be far between and few.

“L” is for Legislation
Ontario paved the way
For the whole wide world to follow
Working for a safer day.

“M” is for the Middle Ground
It’s what we’re working for
We’ll get more co-operation
And we’ll stop Parent Council War.

“No” is for NO
No epinephrine means no food
Without Epipen or Twinjet
A reaction means we’re screwed.

“O” is for Ontario
The first to pass Legislation
If BC was number two
It would be cause for Celebration.

“P” is for the many people
We’ve got to find a cure
We’ll raise money for the scientists
They’re our hope, and that is sure.
(But so are the Politicians!)

“Q” is for a quick response
Epinephrine as fast as you can
That’s the most important message
Of a good emergency plan.

“R” is for Yvonne Rousseau
A star with AAIA
She’s been writing to you for 15 years
That’s a long enough, we would say.

“S” is for Sabrina
Her story broke our heart
Her mom made her a promise
Now we all must do our part.

“T” is for our team
Geez, there’s such a lot to do
But step by step we’ll get there
And you can help us, too.

“U” us for Understanding
That is what we hope to gain
We are tired of being viewed
As a trial, as a pain.

“V” is for Dr. Vadas, and the other allergists, too
They do so much to help us
That much we know is true
They’re working and they’re researching
Wicked mast cells they will tame
They went to school and learned a lot
To get those letters behind their name.

“W“ is for “Without Protection”
The work “Anaphylaxis” has a Latin connection -
Two French Scientists were playing
With some puppies shot with venom
They tried to cure the doggies
But they sent them straight to Heaven!
We wish we could have met them,
Oh - we really, really do
We’d have told them “Keep it simple, boys,
One syllable will do!”

“X” is for the sign we make
When we go out to vote
We’ll remember this forever
And we’re really loyal folk.

“Y” is for our youth
They look so big and scary
They’ve got such cocky attitudes and the boys are getting hairy
But they’re the ones we fear for
We’ve got to teach them well
To self-protect and strategize
They’re so, so precious in our eyes.

“Z” is the end of the alphabet
It also means to rest
We promise it’s something we won’t do
Till “Sabrina’s Law’s” out West!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:52 pm 

Just to help out with finding contact info for BC MLAs: go to http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm and plug in the necessary info to find your MLA.

Took me 2 seconds to find David Cubberley's email address that way. He and Shane Simpson have just received very rare and valuable Epi-Men posters as a thank-you for their efforts!

By the way, Pam, I LOVE YOUR POEM! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:03 am 

We HAVE to give Pam a BIG ROUND of applause for her amazing Ana-alphabet. You rock, Pam! :D
Caroline2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:05 am 

Doh - just got an automated reply from Shane Simpson's office saying they won't open attachments. I will have to do a web page I guess.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:37 am 

I will print the pictures off and deliver them. Thank you so much for your support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:25 am 

Thank you so much, Pam! I was going to invest in some photo paper and mail them, so I appreciate you saving me that extra work.

If you want, I will do another poster with slightly different wording for all the MLAs (along the lines of "Please be a hero and vote for Bill M210!") - if you are up to delivering them. I will work on it this weekend and send it to you for your feedback.

Pam - while looking for the correct name of the bill, I found your name and Aaron's in Hansard - go to http://www.leg.bc.ca/hansard/38th3rd/H70328p.htm and scroll down to the "Introductions by Members" section! :)

See also on the same web page the section titled "Introduction and First Reading of Bills - ANAPHYLACTIC STUDENT PROTECTION ACT, 2007".

I like this quote:

"To date, British Columbia has taken a voluntary approach to anaphylactic preparedness, leaving many anxious parents to blaze their own trails on these issues. The level of concern this raises is evident from the interest by guests in this chamber today."

Way to go, you guys. This is very exciting!

K.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next