Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Alberta - Progress!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Just to let you know that an Edmonton couple - Ana and Bryan Wigger - have made a serious start in their lobbying efforts for a Sabrina's Law in Alberta. Yesterday (Nov. 14), they met with Alberta's Minister of Education, Gene Zwozdesky, who says he is now "considering" introducing similar legislation!

Anyone in Alberta who would like to help Ana and Bryan get legislation to protect anaphylactic children in the schools is invited to say so here. You can also e-mail me on this site or at editor@allergicliving.com and I'll make sure that Ana gets your e-mail and contact info to keep you informed of progress, possible petitions, etc. Please mention your interest in this area (eg. an allergic child, allergies yourself).

Allergic Living magazine will carry a report on the Wiggers/the lobby in its Winter 2006 issue. And here is a link to a CBC news report:

http://www.cbc.ca/calgary/story/ca-alle ... 51115.html

An awesome, encouraging start, wouldn't you say? Gwen

Last edited by gwentheeditor on Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Also this brief report in the Edmonton Journal - click on Alberta News Roundup:

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmonton ... index.html

Post subject: Update Alberta
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:42 am 

My husband Bryan and I, met with the Minister of Education on Nov. 15/05 regarding lobbying the AB. Government to introduce a Bill like Ontario's Sabrina's Law (Bill 3). We are extremely optimistic as a result and believe Alberta will follow Ontario's lead.

At this time, we would like to encourage those Alberta residents who support such a Bill to contact the Minister of Education, Honourable Gene Zwozdesky (#228 Legislature Building, 10800-97 Ave., Edmonton, AB. T5K 2B6) by writing a supportive letter indicating how important legislation like Sabrina's law is in Alberta. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE FOR SUCH A LEGISLATION!

We welcome anyone who would like to contact us regarding this very important issue in Alberta, via "Allergic Living".

We will continue to keep all of you updated!

Ana & Bryan Wigger[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:53 am 

I have written a letter to the minister of education in Sask, and recieved a response that they will look into it further. Any suggestions on what I could do next? I feel like it has stalled. I contacted my MLA's office, but I was just told where to send the letter too. I did not actually get to talk to my MLA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:17 pm 

Hi Saskmommyof2:

Don't be discouraged! You are doing the right things. Good for you - writing the Minister. Believe me they do receive the letters! My suggestion to you is to phone your M.L.A. again. Request a meeting in person with him. Let him know you would like/need to convey your message face to face. Ask him then what he is going to do to assist you and this important issue! Don't give up! Keep us updated!
The Wiggers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Ana,

Also, what was the correct e-mail address for sending a letter to the minister? Some supporters might prefer to send an e-mail.

thanks, Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:53 am 

Thanks Gwen:

The contact info for the Alberta Minister of Education, "Honourable Gene Zwozdesky (PC) is: #228 Legislature Building, 10800-97 Avenue, Edmonton, AB. T5K 2B6, Fax: (780) 427-5018, email: edmonton.millcreek@assembly.ab.ca

We encourage all, especially Albertans, to write, fax or email Minister Zwozdesky their support of legislation of Sabrina's Law in Alberta. LETTERS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Ana Wigger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:01 am 

Hi All:

I have yet another email address for Minister Zwozdesky: education.minister@gov.ab.ca
This will go directly to his legislature office opposed to the other email which is at his constituency office.

Ana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:13 am 

I wrote an e-mail this morning. I am not from Alberta, but every letter shows how many concerned parents are out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:07 pm 

Hi Saskmommy2:

We definately appreciate all and any letters to the Minister of Education, whether from Alberta or not! Thanks so much!

The Wiggers[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:59 pm 

May I post this information on another allergy web-site?

Or post a link to this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Anna Marie,

It would be great if you could post elsewhere but give us as the link.

That way our moderator can forward to Ana and Bryan contact info for those Albertans who might like to get actively involved.

Thanks! Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:37 pm 

Hi.
I am from the Edmonton area and I would love to send a letter/email to the government. I am not very good at composing letters however. Would anyone have a sample letter that I could use as a template?
Thanks.
Karin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:16 pm 

Karin - I don't have a letter drafted yet but I can share it when I do.

With Ana Wigger's permission, I have put a letter from her and Bryan asking for support up on my kids' website. Go to www.epi-man.com and click on the Angel to see more details.

You can print out the angel (PDF file) and sign it and send it to the Alberta Minister of Education. All the details are there on the web page.

:) Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:05 pm 

Thanks, Karen.
I will do the Angel thing and get everyone I know to send an angel to the government too. When you get a draft of your letter, would you mind posting it here? I think MomOfY was going to post one too. The more the better.
Thanks.
Karin