You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:55 pm 

So they are meeting in Lethbridge today. I am working on twitter....learning. One of the buzz words in the education world is lifelong learner...I relate.

Also, I am making sure I don't miss Charles Adler (I listen i880 news) today cuz he is talking about that interesting health class they had recently in St. Albert, Ab. I'm sure it will be lively. And also Rob Breakinridge is filling in for Rutherford (I listen 630 ched) and they are gonna talk bullying today. All very important subjects as well. "Safe and Caring" in the old School Act is getting to be a big subject in the new Education Act.

There is an awful fire going here, and will continue for a couple of weeks. Of course Murphy's Law, its on the west side of Edmonton and the wind is taking it right into the city. Causing very big problems for anyone who is living with a respiritory condition already. We have driven by what they called a "recycling" depot for years..we always said big piles of junk that never moved, pallets, tires, sawdust. We just knew eventually, this would probably happen....cheaper this way.

I was also on the PSBAA website and saw on it that the public is asking for more meetings & regarding the Education Act here....not surprised. I hope they hold it off for awhile .....for a lot of reasons.

edited @ 145 pm ish to add that I think I just spoke to Charles Adler on the phone about...."safe and caring" legislating etc...... :verymad at the way all of this is being handled....I saw the Education Minister on the news last nite, pretty much blowing this all off...as far as the Ab. Govenment is concerned it's all about bullying...and that would only apply to the students. :evil:

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:35 pm 

& I think I have tweeted....maybe. :mrgreen:

edited to add....I may not have though ...now I can't even get into the alberta education act imput button.....oh wait..they have just updated their website....it's all different and new!! I must have tweeted just at that right moment. :pipe oh dear.... :dungetit now its back to normal...
:scratchy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 pm 

So I tried to post last week to say I was really angry that I got "bumped" out of the meeting in Calgary. They sent me a confirmation email with the location and then on Monday I got an email with "regrets" and that it was too full and I could visit the website to share my thoughts. We happened to have just had a couple of really stressful days with some uncertain medical news about one of our kids and got some more about another the next day so I never did have time to call and complain or ask just why I got kicked out after being registered. I don't know if my post made it through but i can't find it so I'm posting again to say I didn't make it there obviously and still not happy about it. But so glad you did make it to two. I will try to get on the website to post at some point here. Might have more time to do that soon as I may be going on bed rest for the next several weeks (baby #3 causing trouble just like the last one - must be another boy).

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:05 pm 

heathermum.... :huggy did I know there is a baby on the way? :happydance Wishing you and yours well.
It is all very strange the way this whole thing is being handled. The conferences, I mean. I didn't get in to the meeting in Red Deer....I just went, and sat in the hall....observed..and had a sign that said "want to talk 1st aid in schools?" and apparently had "attitude" no kidding, if I didn't have attitude ....I think it may have been a public relations person w/Alberta Eduction who told me that. :roll:

I am getting really :verymad over this whole "safe and caring" thing... The thing that happened in St. Albert has just floored me....I mean...not the fact that the kids were shown that...I am totally not surprised that there is sometimes little or no thought put into things somedays and there is so no checking up on the goings on or the fact that the schools are notorious for the shushing of things and maybe no one will notice, I had a superintendent tell me once that unless something happened, they weren't responsible! I sure get what he meant now.....but what the heck? the way the parents & the minister of education in Alberta are reacting (or being portrayed in the media-who really knows) as this not being a big deal??? Well, it tells a very large tale to me. I cannot believe that this is happening and no one gives a crap :confused http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/parents ... story.html

I think one of the problems is the whole union thing. jmo add that to parents with no spine and .....ohhh I am so mad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:08 pm 

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/12/05/b ... her-absent
Quote:
"When you see that this video is being used as educational material for 11- and 12-year-olds - like what is going through any teacher's mind?" Claussen said. "And why aren't there safeguards in place?"

Quote:
He didn't have a time line for the teachers return, but said it would likely be by the end of the week.
He being the superintendent of the division.
Safe and caring in Alberta....well, you know I had to jump into the comments.

http://www.charlesadler.com/2011/12/dad ... page/2/#tp Quite the conversation here too.

I wish more people would go to the Ab Ed website and put their thoughts there...I find it odd the lack of conversation on that site considering how full the meetings are. I am definitely gonna have to put a day or two there myself soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 pm 

Just posted this on Adlers page.. I am so mad.

Quote:
I think it is very weird how people don't want the name of the school to get out. In light of what sometimes happens because kids by nature don't want to upset the applecart, that can be a dangerous place to be. Being an advocate for my children for many years now, and being a child once myself, I know that feeling. It is very hard to speak out, and I commend the person who does...even more so when others drag up his/her past. ..and it does make me wonder about what others know but won't say cuz they think their adult past is more important than a childs future.
waiting moderation I think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:10 pm 

heathermum wrote:
So I tried to post last week to say I was really angry that I got "bumped" out of the meeting in Calgary. They sent me a confirmation email with the location and then on Monday I got an email with "regrets" and that it was too full and I could visit the website to share my thoughts. We happened to have just had a couple of really stressful days with some uncertain medical news about one of our kids and got some more about another the next day so I never did have time to call and complain or ask just why I got kicked out after being registered. I don't know if my post made it through but i can't find it so I'm posting again to say I didn't make it there obviously and still not happy about it. But so glad you did make it to two. I will try to get on the website to post at some point here. Might have more time to do that soon as I may be going on bed rest for the next several weeks (baby #3 causing trouble just like the last one - must be another boy).
Did you find your post on Alberta Ed's website? I just posted on the over 18 http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... fe-schools and also http://ideas.education.alberta.ca/engag ... ther-ideas this morning but neither comments are there as of this post this afternoon. I also tweeted them last friday to ask when the last day for comments would be but have no answer on that yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:14 pm 

I posted on Alberta Ed. website. Monday, December 12, 2011
Quote:
http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_f ... ll-018.pdf (ed. - Link seems to be broken. We are working on fixing it)

Prohibited activities

No person shall

(a) disturb or interrupt the proceedings of a school,

(b) disturb or interrupt the proceedings of a school meeting or board meeting, or

(c) loiter or trespass in a school building or on property owned by a board.

Liability for damage to property by student

Penalty

Any person who contravenes section 83, 216 or 251 is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of not more than $1000.
and Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 10:13:10 AM
Quote:
oops..Someone could take out all that space. Sorry, learning. Anyway, my thoughts on this...if there are only the board and the person who is supposably disturbing the board meeting...then the board could say anything. So, if a parent is there (and they usually have a big beef by the time they get to the board stage) then who do they have for an advocate on their behalf? And what if then they have to decide between paying a fine or hiring a lawyer? There seems to be a heavy weight on one side of the scales of justice here. I'm thinking the board could become the accuser, the jury and the judge, and that is just not right. I speak from experience and when you are one parent with just one issue (albeit a life threatening one), the deck seems a little stacked....and if it's a small rural school community...that one parent may very well be the only observer in the gallery for months at a time.
I still make major mistake just getting what I want to say cuz I have trouble w/computer and I have experience (albeit a long time ago) but what about all the parents that have none...it must be so hard getting their points across. and the tweeting....I am looking for a teacher of tweet. :lol: neither kids nor DH do it ---they fb. but I have followers! that is exciting....and I have learned to block.That is a must. :oops: