You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: First Week of School
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:15 pm 

Well we have had our son is school for 7 days now and there is not a day that I do not want to be there in the classroom with him to ensure that nobody comes with "unidentified" foods. I want to check all back packs, dirty hands, faces or clothing that may have food smeared onto them.... :oops: The classroom teacher is doing such an excellent job but I feel for her as she has a class size of about 25 children and she has one full time assistant and on any given day they have about 20 children (JK/SK). I guess that is normal in terms of the size however I feel for her. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable in the first few days of school with the 1st TA in the class then the principal changed her out to put someone new in the room and then I began to feel a bit better as the new TA is a bit more assertive and helpful to the class room teacher. Now I am told they may be on a rotating schedule... :cry: I was really hoping for someone that would be the regular permanant person so I could feel a bit more comfortable however I should know the school is not there to make me feel comfy but rather teach and educate our children :oops: Needless to say there have been a few infractions with allowing nuts/peanuts into the school but nothing like today....3 peanut butter sandwiches... :? I have to keep in mind this is a learning process. The school still does not have a poster up at any entrance ways to the school that states it is a peanut/nut free school???? I approached the principal today and he said the poster I dropped off was being scrutinized by the board....any idea why a school that has gone peanut and nut free would not have poster up stating so? Anyone? I am nervous about tommorow. We have a supply teacher in and I have no idea if that TA has been given the "low down" on our son or not. Should I be finding this sort of thing out? Any thoughts? I am pretty freaked out and thinking of keeping our son at home tommorow... :roll:

Well enough for now my 5 month old is up and at'em... :D

Yoli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

What was done about the peanut buitter sandwiches? For a Peanut/Nut free school, 3 sandwhiches in one day sounds like a lot to me. Has the Principal sent a letter to the parents? Are the students allowed to eat their sandwhiches? Is a note sent home with them?
Maybe you should contact the superintendant to see what the hold-up is hanging a sign. The fact that banned substances are coming through the doors is reason enough for the sign.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:54 pm 

Hi Yoli,
First, don't ever second guess yourself for wanting to keep your child safe. You have to be the one to advocate for your child - it is your responsibility and your right as a parent. Yes, you should go to the supply teacher and be sure he/she knows of your child's allergy - I learned that one the hard way :shock: . If you get labelled for being a "paranoid parent", so be it - at least you will have peace of mind. Until your child is old enough to clearly speak for himslef, you need to be the one doing the checking and extra-checking. Never let your guard down. Unless you have a Prinicpal, or Teacher who is also nut allergic (and thus, more aware), you will always have to remind and check. I have four kids - 3 and myself, are nut allergic and its often been a battle for their safety in the school system. Having a peanut free school is wonderful - but - it can give a false sense of safety, so beware. Just when you think nuts will never be allowed in - wham - they show up, as you already experienced. Trouble is, we can't guarantee that others will follow the rules. In many ways, having the school say it is "nut aware" is safer than "nut free" because you do not become relaxed. Also, not all parents of even nut allergic kids are diligent :roll: .
So... bottom line ....be bold...be "in their face" (politely)... be the one to offer to bring snacks for the entire class (it keeps your child from feeling left out)....be the one to check out the snacks, the craft materials, the field trip, the food on special lunch day. Its on-going but its worth it. And never feel apologetic for doing so...your child is too precious for you to worry about how others will view your perseverance. Go for it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:16 am 

Quote:
The school still does not have a poster up at any entrance ways to the school that states it is a peanut/nut free school????

Unless the school has clearly communicated their policy to all the parents and kids, the policy is useless. It's peanut/nut aware in name only which does nothing to help kids with those allergies.

I agree that 3 sandwiches in one day indicates a problem, and I would also want to know what steps were taken to inform the families who sent in the sandwiches about the new policy. It's entirely possible that they had no idea that they shouldn't have sent in those products.

I think you'll definitely have to look into all this.

You're actually lucky that you have 2 adults in the classroom. My youngest son's classroom has 21 kids and one teacher - there was never any mention of a TA. So at least you have that added adult supervision. (Trying to find a positive here for you. :) )

K.

Post subject: Stayed Home on Friday
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:20 pm 

Hello to All:

I have been so excited about getting back to the forum for the past few days to read any responses that may have come my way and guess what? I forgot where I had left my last post...I am brutal!! :roll: Irregardless, I am here and I really appreciate those who did respond to provide a bit of support and encouragement. There are days when this battle will feel lonely and you are right I have to "politely" keep on top of things.

We kept our son home from school on Friday :? . We were partly happy as he did have the sniffles but I think the bigger issue was the fear of the new supply teacher. We were concerned that she did not have any "formal" discussion with the pricipal about the allergies of our son. There were no reassurances for us. I have to speak with him about this and keep those lines of communication open. In terms of the signs again they were not up in the school and I think that I will contact the SO about why they are not up and to enquire about what or why they are a problem. It is very obvious to me that there is a problem from their vantage point as it has been 4 full days since their initial review of the poster that I made. The only piece of information regarding the school becoming nut/peanut free this year was a one liner in our community newsletter. That is it to this point.

On a brighter note we did participate with our community health nurse in a terrific presentation on Wednesday. There was a fornal presentation and then we opened the floor for a casual discussion, which turned into my "sob fest". :D It was all good and it was nice to give everyone the personal side to the issues at hand; the life of our son. This Wednesday the school is having an open house and we intend on being there with some brochures, hand out, posters, epi-pen trainer, etc. on hand to everyone to see. We are also attempting to compose an open letter to everyone about our sons allergies, how they came to be and what we are faced with today and for the rest of our lives. We have also spoken to our local grocer about a nut/peanut free space in the store for snack and lunch ideas. We are very optimistic about these plans that have been put into motion.

It is my understanding that the sandwiches or any nut/peanut foods are sent to the office and disposed of (where, I am not sure) and they are replaced with food from the breakfast program (whole other issue). There is also a note or phone call home to parents. We are telling everyone who will listen about the allergies and telling everyone to start talking about it. This is our greatest wish; that everyone start talking and asking questions so we can at least tell them our story.

Just saw Sabrina's story on the CBC web site today and it broke my heart through every moment of it....what that family has gone through.