You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:35 pm 

At a recent meeting of the anaphylaxis policy committee in my board, the chair said that they could not ensure that supply teachers would be trained in the use of epipens and anaphylaxis. I am a little frustrated by the policy process in my board so far particularly when most of the job has been done by the group that wrote, Anaphylaxis In Schools and Other Settings. The sample policies and procedures are excellent.

I was shocked and really upset by the lack of concern that allergic children could have a supply teacher with little knowledge of anaphylaxis. I intend to return to this point next meeting but I thought that I would do a little research first. I am quite comfortable with the staff at my daughter's school but I am quite concerned about the supply teacher and EA situation. EA's supervise the kindergarten class during lunch and snacks. Some days when there is high demand for supply teachers unqualified supplies (do not have a B.Ed) are called in. My daughter only attends half time and already she has had 8 days of supply teachers.

What are other boards doing about training supply teachers? What does the legislation require boards to do? What are the liability issues for boards that put untrained supply teachers in classes with anaphylactic children?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Bill 3 says:
Quote:
"employee" means an employee of a board who regularly works at the school, in the case of a school operated by the board. ("employé")

Quote:
1. Details informing employees and others who are in direct contact with the pupil on a regular basis of the type of allergy, monitoring and avoidance strategies and appropriate treatment.

Quote:
3. Regular training on dealing with life-threatening allergies for all employees and others who are in direct contact with pupils on a regular basis.

Quote:
(2) If an employee has reason to believe that a pupil is experiencing an anaphylactic reaction, the employee may administer an epinephrine auto-injector or other medication prescribed to the pupil for the treatment of an anaphylactic reaction, even if there is no preauthorization to do so under subsection (1).

As employee means employee who works reguarly at the school, I would understand this to mean supply teachers are not included. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:07 am 

In BC, we call them on-call employees, I was on-call last year for a year and I worked every day(as an EA) because the demand was so great. That's pretty regular :lol: . I had to have my standard first aid training (2 day course) before I was considered for employment. In BC the easiest thing would be to make sure that LTA training is part of first aid, and make first aid training a part of all teacher training. I am not sure, but I think that teachers do not need to have first aid, I could be wrong. It would be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:38 am 
Site Admin

I'm no teacher but here in Ontario I took a CPR and Standard First Aid course. It was 2 days and included anaphylaxic shock and the EpiPen.
It was covered under shock in general but we all got to use the EpiPen trainer.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:49 am 

At our latest committe meeting, we had a rep from Anaphylaxis Canada and she was quite clear about the issue of supply teachers. They are included in the legislation and do require training. The Bill 3 support person at Anaphylaxis Canada told me the same thing.

Our board has now hired someone to do training for the supply teachers!!! I am pleased. Supply teachers are a significant issue in schools. My daughter has had about 8 full days of supply teachers and she only attends half time. I have been away from my own class for about the same number of days for meetings, prep time and sick days and I work half time also. Good news for our board!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

I am glad to hear this. I will bring this up at our meeting this summer with the school.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb