You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Sofia-Can you describe a reaction in detail and remind them that the one teacher would be responsible for all of the students who would understandably be traumatized to witness such an event? How much does a trauma team cost to come in a deal with all of the kids issues after the fact?
Can you remind them that the legislation clearly indicates the focus is on prevention and reduction of risk.
Good luck.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:58 pm 

You may want to point out this possible scenario: What if there is an emergency in one room and something breaks out in another room. If teacher 1 is attending to a behaviour issue in room 1, I doubt someone could get to room 2 in time to deal with an allergic reaction.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:20 pm 

Yes, I went through a scenario like that, minute by minute, what would happen if a child has an ana reaction, I was very clear that by the minute 4 or 5 a child could be dead. Because I figured if a teacher is on the other side of a hall dealing with something in another classroom, it is really up to her classmates (6 year's old) to react, and go for help. It is so unfair.
. Apparently teachers can have no more than 100 min. of supervision time during one week, this is by union.Principal told me she just can not make them stay at classrooms. But what about a conscience.Who are these people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:03 pm 

It is true that there are limits on duty now but the principal has the discretion when there is a health and safety issue to go above the limit. A previous principal that I worked for did and she argued it on this basis and also on the legal obligation of schools. School boards can also hire lunch time monitors to fill in when there are gaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:04 am 

Principal in this school is just doing her job, there is no compassion , there is no will...
I volunteer at school as much as I can, and just came back from snack time...teacher on duty peeked in this classroom once in 20 min. She did not know I was there.And then there was a "misunderstanding" about out-side duty teacher, it is a mess...I came home and cried like a baby...I fell like I should pull my daughter out from school but she loves it.
I don't know what to do.
Thank you all again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Apparently teachers can have no more than 100 min. of supervision time during one week, this is by union

Ah, this must be why our classes will have 20 minutes to eat their lunch and then they will head out to the playground. They must be using the French teacher and the administrative staff to supervise on the playground.
I'm beginning to think my daughters principal is one smart (peanut-free) cookie!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:01 pm 

Sofia,
That is just so awful! And it is definitely NOT SAFE!
Can you get together with the other parents of ana kids in the school on this? The principal might be more motivated to make changes if more than one parent was complaining.
Could you talk to the school nurse about the situation? She might be able to back you up about the fact that it's not safe.
And what about a letter from your allergist stating unequivocally that this situation is not safe for your child?
I would also try talking to the district superintendent. Isn't Sabrina's law supposed to protect kids in these kind of situations?
All that being said (and I just realized I'm only echoing what others have already suggested), I bring my sons home for lunch every day. I don't know how long I'll continue to do this, but for now it really increases my peace of mind. Is it possible to make arrangements to bring your daughter home to eat? At least until you get some action on this supervision issue?

:evil:

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:23 pm 

Yes , I will have to find few more parents of ana kids to help me with this.
Unfortunately there is no school nurse.
Yes I am taking my daughter home for lunch, but there is still a snack time (they eat twice at school) :?
As I said this principal believes epi-pen will solve all problems , I tried to explain to her that we need to do something to prevent situation where epi[pen is needed, and that epi-pen unfortunately does not help 100% of times.
Next week we will see our allergist, I'll try to get a letter from him, maybe that will help.
I'm pretty sure if school(principal) tried harder they can organize something better.
Thank you all again so much for understanding
Sofia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:13 pm 

What about getting help from non-allergic parents also? How safe is any child if they are so poorly supervised? One drop in during 20 minutes is not sufficient. Quite honestly most schools I have worked in usually have several children who are behaviour problems in each class. What about if bullying is happening in a classroom? Or a fight breaks out? What about choking? Most primary students need help opening food items also during lunch. Go beyond the principal. What does the parent council think of this level of supervision. Honestly, some parents might not be aware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:28 pm 

I agree. This situation is unsafe for all students. One year I was asked to watch 2 classes of grade 1 students eat lunch in 2 classrooms that were joined by a door at the back. The other Gr. 1 teacher and I took turns every other day. I was able to stand in the doorway and watch both classes. There were no children with allergies or other health concerns. By the end of 2 weeks we were both so stressed out from having to frequently go into a classroom therefore leaving the other one empty. We told the principal that we were each going to double our duties and stay with our own class for lunch.

I don't understand why this occurs during a snack time. What are all the other teachers doing while the kids are eating snack? Typically I will either have the kids eat their snack during school time ( 5 minutes before recess) while I read a story or we eat it outside if the weather is nice.

I understand your worry. This would make me feel very uncomfortable as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:49 pm 

Gem,
I wished there are more teachers like you.
There was one in this school last year in kindergarten, she would never ever leave her kids unsupervised, I appreciated her so much.
Unfortunately there are nobody like her this year.
Since snack is 20 minutes long teacher's go "downstairs" to teachers lounge.
Yes, you are all so right I need to go beyond Principal.
Thanks again
Sofia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:02 pm 

We have been to allergist today,and I could not convince him to write a letter to the Principal. He said he never have done that. He said that he would gladly speak to Principal any time, so he suggested I offer our Principal to call him. I don't think she would care for that at all.
I am little disappointed I admit.
He also suggested to talk to parent-teacher council.
Oh well.... :(
Thank you all
Sofia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:36 pm 

Doctors write letters on behalf of patients all the time. In fact, in my school district it is required that parents provide a letter to the school, from their doctor, describing their child's allergy and the severity of it. I find it hard to believe that your doctor, in all of his years of practice, has never written a letter on behalf of one of his patients. Perhaps he just doesn't want to??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:49 pm 

I thought the same thing, but...
He signed the regular forms that school sends every year, but that is just a short form and filling the blanks, nothing more than usual staff.
I was hoping for stronger message explaining the school staff why supervision that they provide for ana kids is not safe.
Sofia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:55 pm 

Sofia, We are also in the Halton Board, and I am also not pleased with the lack of adult supervision during nutrition breaks. My daughter (without food allergies) is currently in grade 3. One adult circulates amongst several classes and oversees the children. This is simply not acceptable for a classroom having a child with food allergies (or another serious health concern). My son with multiple food allergies, currently in Senior Kindergarten, attends a wonderful, very small, Montessori school with constant adult supervision. We plan to send him to the same school as our daughter when he's ready to enter grade 1. I plan to bring him home for lunch because I feel the lack of supervision is unacceptable. I am currently a stay-at-home mom (brought about due to our son's various health concerns (food allergies, and others), so I am able to do this. For working moms, it is not possible to bring your child home for lunch. What is everyone else doing regarding the lack of adult supervision? It's a fairly common area of concern these days, and one that NEEDS to be addressed!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next