You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:07 pm 

I was wondering what the situation is like in schools these days for anaphylactic children. When I was in school, I didn't even have an epipen and I just had to watch out for myself. One of my sisters *did* carry an epipen in junior highschool, but somehow I don't think the school had a plan in place seeing as the principal was unconcerned about allergy-related bullying even when it was brought to his attention. My sister was already a target because of her eczema--it got to where she didn't want to leave the house in case she ran into kids in her class. The kids my sister was eating lunch with once pinned her down and smeared peanut butter on her. They thought she was lying about the allergy, but they believed her after she broke out in hives :shock: She ran to the washroom to wash off the peanut butter, but didn't use the epipen or get help from a teacher. After that, one of the kids threatened her with death by peanuts. My parents went in to talk to the principal---with no effect. :evil: He basically thought my parents were overreacting and had this maddening 'kids will be kids' attitude.

This was about twelve years ago, though. I would hope that this sort of thing wouldn't happen today. What was your experience like in school? How does your school deal with your child's allergies? (I'm posting this poll here rather than in the School section since it is related to concerns raised by Bill 3).

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:43 pm 

Lisa, my son is in grade one and he wears an epi-belt and has an extra epi-pen at the office at school because of an insect allergy.

His school has a peanut ban (not for him), and all teachers are trained on how to use an epi-pen. Although other allergens are not banned - they do try to make sure foods supplied by the school do not include anyone's allergens. Since my son doesn't have food allergies, I'm not really sure how well they do this.

It was the school that insisted my son start carrying his own epi-pen when he was in JK. I was nervous about that - but I'm glad they were insistent.

In three years my son has only once had a problem of being bullied (and I use the term loosely) regarding his allergy. A boy that didn't want to play with him lied and said there were bees where he was. I spoke to the boy and he never did it again. Mostly the kids are very protective of my son. And I know I've heard kids saying *so-and-so can't eat that - he's allergic*. It's not done as teasing, it's done to protect.

My son's school also doesn't allow latex balloons and the gloves and bandaids they have are non-latex, and garbage cans are kept away from the doors in summer time (better for everyone, not just my son).

All of this was in place before my son started school. I don't think Bill 3 will make any changes at his school - definitely nothing major. But, I still support the bill, because a lot of schools don't do all this stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:17 am 

Lisa, I know exactly what you are talking about. I had similar experience to your sister. Fortunately, they never really got to me because I ran and fought for my life and when my parents went to see the principal, nothing was done about it. It was just "kid stuff", no need to intervene. Growing up with an allergy 20 years ago was a real pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

We will be speaking to the sperintendent soon as we don't feel the school is meetiing the legislative requirements.
The policy is too vague and seems to deal only with ensuring the medication is delivered after the reaction. There is no strategy to reduce exposure only soothing comments about the need to reduce.
We feel that the documentation of staff training on Anaphyaxis and the use of EpiPens eaves a lot to be desired.
It is now April and there seem to have been 3 episode of foods being given to our daughter for her consumption. She reports of 2-3 episodes of junk food (with no ingredient label) being used in games.
We will recommend some changes to their policy and we hope that they will implement them. If not...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:21 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
We will be speaking to the sperintendent soon as we don't feel the school is meetiing the legislative requirements.

I should say not! In my view, schools should be liable if they feed allergic children when the parents have requested that no food be given.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:00 am 

Lisa, I graduated from high school in 2003 and nothing was different from your experience through the system (except i di manage to get out of having peanut butter smeared on my face). When i think back to all the reactions I could have had, I run out of fingers and toes to count! My parents had no idea what to do either because they knew nothing about allergies nor anyone with allergies. Someone must have been looking out for me in school, because there's no way I should have survived!

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:12 pm 

It's scary to hear that some people are still as much in the dark as I was when I was in highschool! It's good now, though, that you have more info.