You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:20 pm 

Does anybody know if high schools can scramble cell phone signals to prevent kids from using their cell phone inside the school?

I'm concerned because my daughter's cell phone is her life line. If anybody has ever heard of that, please let me know.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:03 pm 

I've never heard of that.

There was an article in Today's Parent a few months ago about cell phone use in schools and it wasn't mentioned. The article definitely discussed how schools are not too happy about how students are over-using cell phones, so I would think they would have touched on this "preventive" aspect if it was in common use.

To be honest, I don't see high schools having the funds for such a thing, given today's funding climate. I also wonder if they'd have the technical capability. But maybe I'm naive??

I would speak with the principal (if you haven't already) to explain the need for the cellphone - it's not like she's using it to goof off - it's for emergency purposes.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:48 pm 

at my high school there was just rules in place that phones be turned off and stuff, and you cna't have them in exams for obvious reasons but they never made it so they didn't work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder if the number of metal lockers can interfere with reception? Just a thought.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:57 pm 

I asked my daughter to tell me what she meant by cellphones not being able to work at school and I got the story straight this time, LOL.

What it is is that text messaging apparently interferes with the P.A. system and makes a funny noise, so teachers know if someone is trying to text message, which is not allowed.

Also, cell phones just don't seem to work in the middle of the building, the phones just can't get the signals.

There are phones in every classroom, which is reassuring.

I asked my daughter, "How about washrooms, can you get a signal there?". She's always a step ahead though, and said, "Don't worry, Mom, I wont go to the washroom alone anymore if I feel sick!".

Wise decision...

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:05 am 

Nicole wrote:
Also, cell phones just don't seem to work in the middle of the building, the phones just can't get the signals.

That does makes sense. My DH's cell phone sometimes doesn't work within his building... which actually really bothers me.

I'm glad you got a few more details. And good to know that they'll be exposed if they are text messaging! :lol:

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:34 pm 

Dear Nicole,
I'm in highschool an I'm anaphylactic. I found out the second week of highschool! Well, I too keep a cell phone with me at all times. I leave it on but in most parts of the school (especially upstairs) there is no reception. And yes there are phones in every classroom.
- Monique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:40 am 

I don't think schools have the money to be scrambling phones. My husband has often noticed that when he's travelling his cell-phone doesn't work at the airport. But on another day at the same airport it does work. He figures when they are on higher alert they scramble them.

Also, at Dawson College last week, the police needed more frequencies and many cell phones were not working in the area. But, that was the police, not the college, blocking them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:35 am 

well the reason for dead zones within the school is the same reason for why your cell doesn't work in an elavator, the signal has nothing to bounce off of..

and i can see where texting can interere with a PA system cause when my phone is about to ring and it's near my comp it gives me feed back through the sub woofer of my computer speaker...