You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:43 am 

twinmom, try not to be too mad at yourself, as you mentioned. These situations are learning experiences....what I usually "learn" is that I should listen to my instincts!

I was wondering if you had a chance to speak to your kids' classmates. Would the teacher allow you and the boys to have a little presentation to their friends and classmates, about how they can be superfriends and help out if needed?
I know they're so young...but I have read on other posts that a lot of parents have found this to be one effective way of helping their kids stay safe. It sounds like you are more concerned with making sure an adult is accessible, but, this is just one little idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:48 pm 

Along with all the other communication, I think that's a great idea to also talk to the classmates. My youngest and I are going to do that soon. If he is up to it, he'll dress up as Epi-Man Jr. If not, we'll present his poster that shows all his allergens and the foods that contain his allergens.

Last night during the parent-teacher meeting, I had to do a little presentation about allergies and my son's situation to the parents of his classmates. Afterwards one of the dads came up to me to say that he felt the kids were already pretty aware (I'm assuming the teacher has been talking about the alleriges in class) and quite anxious to do the right thing and not bring in unsafe foods.

So the kids can be wonderful allies, and I think it's a good idea to get them young. Yes, there may be bullies who use the information for the wrong reasons, but the majority of kids will be allies and helpful, and the more of them, the better, in my opinion.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:37 pm 

Thanks for your replies. It has been great reading through this forum, and getting so much good information.
I had my meeting with the teacher this morning. She seems eager to work with me to come up with a plan to keep them safer, and has agreed to let them wear their epipens.

I also discovered that she had forgotten to show them who and where the playground supervisors were (although we'd discussed that specifically in our first meeting). So Elliot headed inside to try to find his teacher when he had the problem with his pants. I really like what katec mentionned about the orange vests, and will suggest that they do something like that.

I am going for another meeting after school today. I'll ask about doing a presentation for the other children also (great idea, thanks).

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema