You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:34 pm 

Hello there --

I have just joined the list, so please forgive me if I am about to repeat a request.

My son, almost 8, has a severe allergy to peanuts. Last year, he was touched by another child who then casually told him, "You have peanut butter on your arm," There was no adult in the room, so all we know is that my son broke out in hives, I was called, and he had to go home for the day. Thank goodness his reaction peaked in hives, and the Benedryl stopped the reaction from escalating and we avoided the epi pen. Nevertheless I feel like not only was a gun raised to my child, but it was fired and all but the grace of God let it be just a minor mishap.

Anyway, this incident lead to a great discussion between me, the principal and the associate superintendent on what we could do differently in the classroom. I was not 'supposed' to talk to the parent of the child who touched him, by the way. I did have their attention, though, and now we have now gone through the policies and procedures line by line and the school follows them much better.

So. . . what is the problem? The problem is I don't think the policies are strong enough. I believe that there are a number of issues that we can follow up on that will make my son safer in the clasroom setting. Right now there is a letter home to parents requesting they 'limit' sending in peanuts and peanut products. . . but the school principal refuses to say DON'T send them in. Her stance is within the policy. Also, the lunch time is montored by other children in upper grades -- and I think it is ridiculous to put everyone in such a dangerous situation! ESPECIALLY with the allergen in the room.

I need to find other parents in other schools who have strengthened district policy. I am in Victoria, BC and I would be very pleased to hear from other parents in the area if they are willing to share their stories of allergic children in the public school system. Please contact me via private message (email address removed) if you have any suggestions. I would very much appreciate it. I am ready to challenge this policy.

Caroline

Last edited by Caroline2 on Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Caroline - welcome to the Talking Allergies Forum.

That peanut smearing incident must have been very frightening. I'm glad the school took it seriously.

You've come to the right place to organize school lobbying, and speaking personally, I strongly agree that laws are needed in the provinces along the lines of Ontario's Sabrina's Law. Policies and recommendations are a good start but, frankly, they don't have the teeth of a law. With a law, there's no ambiguity about what should and shouldn't be done. If the law says principals must reduce allergens in the classrooms, this becomes a priority as opposed to something to put on the extensive to-do list.

In terms of organizing in B.C., you'll find other interested and motivated parents under Schools: Anaphylaxis Laws. Go to this thread: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401 to see what's already been written. You may want to post there, too. I know Pam Lee in Vancouver and BC Mom in Victoria are very interested in getting mandated allergy awareness in the class.

By the way, you can use your e-mail add. in a public forum like this, but you can also just suggest that people "pm" or send you a "private message". That way you can just share e-mail adds. among yourselves.

All the best with it. Let us know if things start to move forward. /Gwen

Last edited by gwentheeditor on Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:49 pm 

THANKS for the info! I knew there would be a proper way to share messages -- but I am so wanting to find a network that I am willing to put my email address out there.
Caroline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:42 pm 

Hi Caroline!

Sent you a private message! We should talk! Definitely! I can't imagine how I would have reacted if that happened to my son who just started kindergarten in a new school! Not only does he have to get used to a new school, new teacher, new kids, but he has to worry about avoiding kids who bring peanuts, etc. to school.

Call me! I've e-mailed you my number!

Nancy

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust